Headphone reccomendation | 200$ budget.

xtr650
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,

My favorite hip hop cans are DT 770's, the m50s aren't the worst headphone. They just lack alot for me to enjoy them like sound stage imaging and good mids. other sets of headphones that I like for hip hop under $200 are the meze 99 noir, and the v Moda crossfades.

My favorite open backs for hip hop are the HD 58x they are not too boomy bass wise but are great for lyrical rappers, he 4xx's are great nice amount of oomph in the bass while maintaining good detail.

Upgrading from g933. I'm fine with either over-ear headphones or gaming headset. I don't know anything about audio, strictly going to use them for music, Hip-hop/Rap. Would like a pair with strong bass while still maintaining clarity, if that is even possible. Opened or closed backs are fine.

Dont be too harsh on my gibberish above.

Thanks everyone.

2 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I like the ATH-M50X, but that's a bad word in this forum 

That's a pair that's always caught my eye. And yeah I've noticed that aswell ?

1 minute ago, xtr650 said:

That's a pair that's always caught my eye. And yeah I've noticed that aswell ?

They are good cans tbh, they just arnt as good as some of the stuff like DT 700s (My hard of hearing ex loved those) or the Sennheiser/Massdrop lines

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

19 hours ago, xtr650 said:

Upgrading from g933. I'm fine with either over-ear headphones or gaming headset. I don't know anything about audio, strictly going to use them for music, Hip-hop/Rap. Would like a pair with strong bass while still maintaining clarity, if that is even possible. Opened or closed backs are fine.

Dont be too harsh on my gibberish above.

Thanks everyone.

You're probs gonna get more bass with closed backs. I would have a look at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pros. https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-770-Pro-250-Professional/dp/B0778C9HQ4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=beyerdynamic&qid=1557354794&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

My favorite hip hop cans are DT 770's, the m50s aren't the worst headphone. They just lack alot for me to enjoy them like sound stage imaging and good mids. other sets of headphones that I like for hip hop under $200 are the meze 99 noir, and the v Moda crossfades.

My favorite open backs for hip hop are the HD 58x they are not too boomy bass wise but are great for lyrical rappers, he 4xx's are great nice amount of oomph in the bass while maintaining good detail.

5 hours ago, Derkoli said:

3 hours ago, rice guru said:

My favorite open backs for hip hop are the HD 58x they are not too boomy bass wise but are great for lyrical rappers, he 4xx's are great nice amount of profit NCH in the bass while maintaining good detail.

So far seems like the DT 770's are a solid choice. I listen to both lyricists and more hype bass heavy style of rap. So kind of torn on the other two pairs.

6 minutes ago, xtr650 said:

So far seems like the DT 770's are a solid choice. I listen to both lyricists and more hype bass heavy style of rap. So kind of torn on the other two pairs.

here is a quick clip of my hip hop play list for reference.

745622657_Screenshot(132).thumb.png.483d4c2d63013a5cea8dc5a2f14e30ae.png

28 minutes ago, rice guru said:

here is a quick clip of my hip hop play list for reference.

745622657_Screenshot(132).thumb.png.483d4c2d63013a5cea8dc5a2f14e30ae.png

Good taste, just need some Vinnie Paz and RA The rugged man in there. :P

8 minutes ago, xtr650 said:

Good taste, just need some Vinnie Paz and RA The rugged man in there. :P

true. I just got into more modern hipp hop only pretty recently. I used to only listen to rza, tupac, wutang , biggie, jurrasic 5,outkast,n and mf doom in terms of hip hop.  but im really into a lot of new rappers so im slowly sdiscovering people I really like. I tend to lean towards lyrical or concious rappers . like denzel curry or tyler, or earl, or kendrik . and Im also really into rap cgroups like flatbush, brockhampton, injury reserve or earthgang.

oh and how could i forget my japanese boys nujabes basically the pioneer of low fi hip hop and dj honda. 

if you are getting the 770's make sure you get the 80 ohm version so you can power them without a dac/amp

20 minutes ago, rice guru said:

true. I just got into more modern hipp hop only pretty recently. I used to only listen to rza, tupac, wutang , biggie, jurrasic 5,outkast,n and mf doom in terms of hip hop.  but im really into a lot of new rappers so im slowly sdiscovering people I really like. I tend to lean towards lyrical or concious rappers . like denzel curry or tyler, or earl, or kendrik . and Im also really into rap cgroups like flatbush, brockhampton, injury reserve or earthgang.

Can't go wrong with any of them. Look into K.A.A.N, Montana of 300, Jedi Mind tricks, all lyricists with deep messages. I listen to a lot of tyler, kendrick and every OG one you listed as-well. You got good taste.

19 minutes ago, rice guru said:

if you are getting the 770's make sure you get the 80 ohm version so you can power them without a dac/amp

Good to know, so 80ohm instead of the 250ohm?

10 minutes ago, xtr650 said:

Good to know, so 80ohm instead of the 250ohm?

yeah. easier to drive it ensures you can make them loud on your pc and phone. 80 om or 32 ohm are boh great sound similar.  the lower the impedance the more efficient  but best to stick to the highestimpedance you can support most things should be able to power the 80 ohm

10 hours ago, rice guru said:

yeah. easier to drive it ensures you can make them loud on your pc and phone. 80 om or 32 ohm are boh great sound similar.  the lower the impedance the more efficient  but best to stick to the highestimpedance you can support most things should be able to power the 80 ohm

Last question, with what i'll be using it for would I notice anything worthwhile buying an amp with the 770s?

1 hour ago, xtr650 said:

Last question, with what i'll be using it for would I notice anything worthwhile buying an amp with the 770s?

With the 250 ohm yes with the 80 ohm or 32 ohm models no