Upgrading a Digital Storm Aura

I bought a Digital Storm Aura under the impression that it was "upgradeable" only to learn that upgrading the machine is limited by its power supply. Has anyone found a way around this? I love the concept of an AIO gaming capable rig, but I enjoy playing AAA titles at high settings. That being said my time with my Aura may be limited if I cannot upgrade it. I have reached out to Digital Storm directly and they basically told me it cannot be done. My plan is to invest in a second Ultrawide Monitor to achieve higher frame rates but eventually I would like to upgrade the GTX1080 that currently exists in the build as well as the processor, memory and Storage capacity. All with a power supply capable of running it. Any help on achieving this is greatly appreciated.. 

The PSU is "limiting" but it's not like you can't get better hardware, what are you currently equipped with? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, The Apollo said:

I bought a Digital Storm Aura under the impression that it was "upgradeable" only to learn that upgrading the machine is limited by its power supply. Has anyone found a way around this? I love the concept of an AIO gaming capable rig, but I enjoy playing AAA titles at high settings. That being said my time with my Aura may be limited if I cannot upgrade it. I have reached out to Digital Storm directly and they basically told me it cannot be done. My plan is to invest in a second Ultrawide Monitor to achieve higher frame rates but eventually I would like to upgrade the GTX1080 that currently exists in the build as well as the processor, memory and Storage capacity. All with a power supply capable of running it. Any help on achieving this is greatly appreciated.. 

The Aura comes with a 450 watt 80+ gold PSU by default (don't know the brand). It should be enough to handle upgrades to the GPU. You should be able to get away with an RTX 2080. You also CAN upgrade the PSU itself. It's not a standard ATX PSU, though. That could be a pain in the ass.

EDIT: I found the brand. It's an Enhance Electronics ENP-7145B2 450W

@LukeSavenije, do you know anything about that specific PSU? Do you think it would handle an RTX 2080 okay?

47 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Enhance Electronics ENP-7145B2 450W

ah, enhance is a oem, that's why you probably don't know them

they make a lot of PSUs for cooler master for example. 

it's good, but 450 is a bit on the short side with a 2080

The PSU should handle even a Vega 64... it's perfectly fine...

OK unit.... it's most likely still better than the M12II at the very least....

@Stefan Payne you know anything?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

11 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

you know anything?

Nope, only that its a FlexATX Enhance unit with 80plus Gold certificate and 450W...

Never seen inside one of those...

And they are usually not tesed or sold seperately.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

So if need be, I may dismantle my unit and salvage some parts into a case that can fit a beefier PSU. However, I haven't built a computer in over ten years let alone taken one apart. Can any  of you help shed some light on this? I'm currently running a MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard, I7-8700k CPU, 16gb  DDR4 3000mhz Ram, a 500gb m.2 ssd from digital storm, and a 1TB 7200rpm SATA drive. Digital Storm also confirmed that upgrading the PSU in my aura will be a pain in the ass if not impossible. I'm up for a challenge, but I'm also practical. Not sure what the better choice is between upgrading the PSU and rebuilding the PC in a case. 

1. So if need be, I may dismantle my unit and salvage some parts into a case that can fit a beefier PSU. However, I haven't built a computer in over ten years let alone taken one apart. Can any  of you help shed some light on this? I'm currently running a MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard, I7-8700k CPU, 16gb  DDR4 3000mhz Ram, a 500gb m.2 ssd from digital storm, and a 1TB 7200rpm SATA drive, Nvidia GTX 1080, and the PSU mentioned above. Digital Storm also confirmed that upgrading the PSU in my aura will be a pain in the ass if not impossible. I'm up for a challenge, but I'm also practical. Not sure what the better choice is between upgrading the PSU and rebuilding the PC in a case. 

23 hours ago, The Apollo said:

I'm currently running a MSI Z370I Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard, I7-8700k CPU, 16gb  DDR4 3000mhz Ram, a 500gb m.2 ssd from digital storm, and a 1TB 7200rpm SATA drive.

Using all this, you can make a decent ITX PC. Is the 1080 in that a blower model or a dual fan? I think they're all blower models but just in case they used a different one, it's good to know 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Using all this, you can make a decent ITX PC. Is the 1080 in that a blower model or a dual fan? I think they're all blower models but just in case they used a different one, it's good to know 

My build sheet doesnt specify weather its blower or dual fan. it just says gtx 1080 performance edition

24 minutes ago, The Apollo said:

My build sheet doesnt specify weather its blower or dual fan. it just says gtx 1080 performance edition

You would be able to open it up and see.

Although, the only real reason to transfer the unit to another case would be to use a standard PSU so you could increase the wattage, or you could just swap out the motherboard since it uses a standard ITX form factor. When AMD releases their next Ryzen CPUs in a few weeks, they'll be more efficient than coffee lake and likely have similar gaming performance. You could go with one of these to take some load off the PSU and then have more room for a powerful graphics card.

If you wanted a small form factor PC with more power it would look something like this:

Primary PC:

• 2 years later...