Why are front panel USB headers different from the external ports?

For example, why are USB 3.0 front panel connectors different from the actual ports? Why couldn't there be a normal USB 3.0 port on the motherboard and an extension cable to bring it to the front panel? This also applies to other USBs. Also, what other ports have a header vs port situation (except front panel audio, of course). 

I suspect it has something to do with convenience of connection vs reliability and interference, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Also, I've put this in peripherals since USB applies to them, please tell me if motherboards would be a better topic for this.

Edited by karmanyaahm

45 minutes ago, karmanyaahm said:

For example, why are USB 3.0 front panel connectors different from the actual ports? Why couldn't there be a normal USB 3.0 port on the motherboard and an extension cable to bring it to the front panel? This also applies to other USBs. Also, what other ports have a header vs port situation (except front panel audio, of course). 

I suspect it has something to do with convenience of connection vs reliability and interference, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Also, I've put this in peripherals since USB applies to them, please tell me if motherboards would be a better topic for this.

USB is meant to be plugged and unplugged easily for charging, flash drives, etc. Headers fit tighter because they're meant to stay there.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 4ghz @ 1.35v  CPU Cooler: Mugen 5 Rev b  Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon  GPU: Zotac RTX 2060 +150/+1000 Memory: 16GB Viper 4 @ 3200 CL14 Samsung B-die  Storage: 1TB Patriot VPN100 NVMe; 500GB 860evo; 128gb 840pro CaseCooler Master Q500L  PSU: CX750M V2 Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Other: 6 Corsair LL Fans; 2 aRGB Strips

17 hours ago, fluxdeity said:

USB is meant to be plugged and unplugged easily for charging, flash drives, etc. Headers fit tighter because they're meant to stay there.

@karmanyaahm - The motherboard headers also carry 2 ports worth of data pins - ever wondered why you insert a single plug into the motherboard yet your case has 2 ports on the other end? Note: I don't believe this is the case with the newer USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Type-E) motherboard header.