OC noob! Need some guidance

So I'm new to overclocking. I'm OC'ing an I7 6700K on an Asus Maximus VIII Hero. Settings I followed from a youtube tutorial.

1. Set AI Overclock Tuner to XMP
  2. Disabled Asus multicore enhancement
  3. Synced all cores
  4. 46 multiplier
  5. Cpu Load-line calibration set to Level 6
  6. disabled VRM Spread spectrum
  7. enabled Intel Speedstep
  8. set CPU core/cache current limit Max to 255
  9. Set Min CPU Cache ratio to 8
  10. Set Max CPU Cache ratio to 41
  11. CPU core/cache voltage to Adaptive Mode
  12. CPU Core voltage override set to 1.33
  13. CPU VCCIO Voltage set to 1.1
  14. CPU System Agent Voltage set to 1.1

I've run a couple hour long stress tests with Aida64 and everything seems to be stable and temps in check. My question is about the VID Max being at 1.452v and my values are consistently over the 3.3v override setting. Is this going to stress my cpu out faster if i'm constantly running higher volts through it? Any advice and knowledge on what exactly all these settings are doing and a better way to optimize them? Like I said, I'm a noob when it comes to this. I understand the concept of boosting the frequency and voltage needed to do so as well as safe temps, but the tutorials I've watched and read haven't been as specific as I'd have hoped. 

Screenshot (46).png

VID isn't the same as core voltage.

That would be under your motherboard sensors.

Look at the A64 tab "statistics" and report back min max ave vcore values

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

So I'm new to overclocking. I'm OC'ing an I7 6700K on an Asus Maximus VIII Hero. Settings I followed from a youtube tutorial.

1. Set AI Overclock Tuner to XMP
  2. Disabled Asus multicore enhancement
  3. Synced all cores
  4. 46 multiplier
  5. Cpu Load-line calibration set to Level 6
  6. disabled VRM Spread spectrum
  7. enabled Intel Speedstep
  8. set CPU core/cache current limit Max to 255
  9. Set Min CPU Cache ratio to 8
  10. Set Max CPU Cache ratio to 41
  11. CPU core/cache voltage to Adaptive Mode
  12. CPU Core voltage override set to 1.33
  13. CPU VCCIO Voltage set to 1.1
  14. CPU System Agent Voltage set to 1.1

I've run a couple hour long stress tests with Aida64 and everything seems to be stable and temps in check. My question is about the VID Max being at 1.452v and my values are consistently over the 3.3v override setting. Is this going to stress my cpu out faster if i'm constantly running higher volts through it? Any advice and knowledge on what exactly all these settings are doing and a better way to optimize them? Like I said, I'm a noob when it comes to this. I understand the concept of boosting the frequency and voltage needed to do so as well as safe temps, but the tutorials I've watched and read haven't been as specific as I'd have hoped. 

Screenshot (46).png

Very nice post letting us know what you did.  Your getting 100 percent load with really good temps.  If you can run Aida64 stability test for an hour then your set.  Also FYI I wouldn't enable speedstep.  As far as your vcore, it might be a bit too high and you can get the same OC and stability with a lower voltage, but personally I wouldn't touch it as your temps are really good.  Nice OC enjoy the rig.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

12 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

VID isn't the same as core voltage.

That would be under your motherboard sensors.

Look at the A64 tab "statistics" and report back min max ave vcore values

Ahh, thats a little misleading as it's under the CPU dropdown. Ran another 5 minute test and got this. Seems to look a lot more reasonable. I assume the 1.356 average is due to my Load line settings or the VCCIO voltage or agent voltage.

Screenshot (48).png

Thanks @Turtle Rig, I'm sure I could push this a bit further but I'm trying to keep it a little reserved as I can't afford to fry my chip at the moment. Literally my first CPU OC and I'm paranoid about destroying my system. I may step the voltage down a little just to save some money on electricity and the life of my CPU. 

10 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

Ahh, thats a little misleading as it's under the CPU dropdown. Ran another 5 minute test and got this. Seems to look a lot more reasonable. I assume the 1.356 average is due to my Load line settings or the VCCIO voltage or agent voltage.

Screenshot (48).png

VID is how much the CPU thinks it needs and is asking for at the frequency it's at, vcore reading (at least what the sensor says) is what the motherboard is giving it.

Anything under 1.4v on skylake+ is fine, as long as your temps are good.

Your maximum is not even hitting 70 (albeit on a short and not quite punishing test), so I believe you are fine. Keep it under 80 for everyday tasks and under 100 for stress tests.

I'd say if you can pass an hour or so of A64 and your programs you actually use, you should be okay.

Also, LLC compensates for vdroop, which happens when your cpu goes under heavy load. LLC applies extra voltage to try to prevent that from dropping too low to cause crashes. It can cause some side effect of too much voltage briefly, which is why sometimes you see it reporting higher than what you input. As long as your spikes aren't crazy (like over 1.45v) and you aren't vdrooping too low to cause a crash, and your average voltage is around where you expect it to be, i think it's fine.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

24 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

Thanks @Turtle Rig, I'm sure I could push this a bit further but I'm trying to keep it a little reserved as I can't afford to fry my chip at the moment. Literally my first CPU OC and I'm paranoid about destroying my system. I may step the voltage down a little just to save some money on electricity and the life of my CPU. 

Even at 1.376v, if its not doing anything, there's not that much power going through it. My CPU is at 1.355v and 5ghz all the time, but it only registers as 15w right now. 

When measured on a killowatt meter on idle, my whole power strip (including 3 monitors and speaker system) is under 150w.

Of course if you can dial the votlage down at the same frequency, you'll be better off in terms of heat. But 1.36v is fine IMO.

opops double post

7 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Even at 1.376v, if its not doing anything, there's not that much power going through it. My CPU is at 1.355v and 5ghz all the time, but it only registers as 15w right now. 

When measured on a killowatt meter on idle, my whole power strip (including 3 monitors and speaker system) is under 140w.

Of course if you can dial the votlage down at the same frequency, you'll be better off in terms of heat. But 1.36v is fine IMO.

Nice post.  Yeah vcore doesn't increase wattage usage.  The CPU operating at peak uses watts and GPU uses watts.  At idle you take up 140 watts.  When you game you are in the high 300's wattage and you will not really touch 400 watts.  So no worries about electricity bill.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Nice post.  Yeah vcore doesn't increase wattage usage.  The CPU operating at peak uses watts and GPU uses watts.  At idle you take up 140 watts.  When you game you are in the high 300's wattage and you will not really touch 400 watts.  So no worries about electricity bill.

Yeah for science i did a post on it.

I dont' remember exactly, but it was around 130-150w idle, 430-450w gaming load, and 615w full cpu/gpu synthetic test load. That's before PSU efficiency and not accoutning for the monitors and speakers and stuff. Monitors spec is 40w per, and speakers are 20. Being conservative, if each monitor only drew 25w, and speakers 10, that accounts for 85w.

so, napkin math:

150w idle strip -85w for monitors = 65w for the PC alone at idle, then account for around 10% efficiency loss, that means system alone at idle around 58w.

450w gaming strip -85w for monitors = 365w for PC alone for full gaming load, then account for 10% efficiency loss, that means system alone gaming load around 328w.

615w full cpu/gpu synth load - 85w monitors = 530w for pc alone for full cpu/gpu synth load, then account for 10% efficiency loss, means system alone cpu/gpu synth load around 477w.

That's just napkin math and it might be not 100%, since efficiency isn't static on the usage curve, but, close enough for hypotheticals.

Keep in mind, this is a relatively heavily overclocked system 5ghz 8700k 1.355v, and Vega 64 +50% power limit, undervolt + core and HBM2 overclocks

2 minutes ago, Plutosaurus said:

Yeah for science i did a post on it.

I dont' remember exactly, but it was around 130-150w idle, 430-450w gaming load, and 615w full cpu/gpu synthetic test load. That's before PSU efficiency and not accoutning for the monitors and speakers and stuff. Monitors spec is 40w per, and speakers are 20. Being conservative, if each monitor only drew 25w, and speakers 10, that accounts for 85w.

so, napkin math:

150w idle strip -85w for monitors = 65w for the PC alone at idle, then account for around 10% efficiency loss, that means system alone at idle around 58w.

450w gaming strip -85w for monitors = 365w for PC alone for full gaming load, then account for 10% efficiency loss, that means system alone gaming load around 328w.

615w full cpu/gpu synth load - 85w monitors = 530w for pc alone for full cpu/gpu synth load, then account for 10% efficiency loss, means system alone cpu/gpu synth load around 477w.

That's just napkin math and it might be not 100%, since efficiency isn't static on the usage curve, but, close enough for hypotheticals.

Keep in mind, this is a relatively heavily overclocked system 5ghz 8700k 1.355v, and Vega 64 +50% power limit, undervolt + core and HBM2 overclocks

I have a 750w PSU and my power bill is never too bad considering all the other shiz we have running all the time. Boosted my 2060 to 135Mhz Clock and 300Mhz Mem and haven't really noticed a difference on the bill. Much higher frames though! Just need to upgrade my RAM and learn how to OC that as well ;) Get a lot of enjoyment out of building and tweeking. Really appreciate the advice and knowledge!

2 minutes ago, Krazycatpeekin said:

I have a 750w PSU and my power bill is never too bad considering all the other shiz we have running all the time. Boosted my 2060 to 135Mhz Clock and 300Mhz Mem and haven't really noticed a difference on the bill. Much higher frames though! Just need to upgrade my RAM and learn how to OC that as well ;) Get a lot of enjoyment out of building and tweeking. Really appreciate the advice and knowledge!

i overkilled my PSU purchase, thinking i'd be in the mid-range of the usage to get max efficiency curve, but it looks like at 330w in gaming scenarios, i'm at ~40% load. I think the curve on my psu is max efficiency at 50% load, so I suppose close enough lol

i only really stress my CPU and GPU to the max during synthetic tests anyways, which is almost never