Need a help to choose 27 inch 1440p monitor

OverlordCZ

Hi all.

I noticed that there is a lot of topics like this. I have a MSI RTX 2070 (base model no OC) and I would like to switch to 2K 144Hz monitor. I know that I wont get 144fps in every game with my 2070 because the 2K gaming is still little bit demanding for 2070 performance. For the last month or so I read a lot of articles and saw many videos on youtube. I know the difference between the TN, Va or IPS panels. I know that I'm not pro gamer so I dont need 1ms latency I will do fine with 4ms.

I know few things: I would like to have 27 inch monitor with 144Hz. With the panel I'm not exactly 100% sure on that. I want the monitor mostly for gaming, then movies and videos. I know that IPS are the most expensive and TN are cheapest but I still cant decide. I would like to buy something which is in price range about 500 - 600 USD or 500€ (I'm from Europe). The price might vary a lot and unfortunately in my country if I select IPS panel combined with 144Hz on one of the largest czech shops I will get 3 results which is pretty bad.

https://www.alza.cz/EN/

This eshop has czech prices so it means something about 14 000 Kč (czech crowns) should be the highest possible for me.

On the other hand is it really worth it to push for 2K gaming 144Hz with RTX 2070? Is it strong enough to be able enjoy gaming in 2k with higher details? I mostly play games which are about visuals and I dont play FPS that much. I'm more into games like GTA, Division, X-plane 11, Tomb Raider, relaxing games like tropico, anno, mostly open world games like watchdogs maybe assassins creed etc. So I'm not definitely CSGO, BF or COD player. But if I would decide to play this game I would like to have the possibility to have 144Hz.

Also I'm very confused about things like G-sync, freesync, vsync, adaptive v-sync and screen tearing or other problems I may encounter if I will have more fps than refresh rate or less fps than refresh rate.

Thanks for your advices.

8 minutes ago, OverlordCZ said:

Hi all.

I noticed that there is a lot of topics like this. I have a MSI RTX 2070 (base model no OC) and I would like to switch to 2K 144Hz monitor. I know that I wont get 144fps in every game with my 2070 because the 2K gaming is still little bit demanding for 2070 performance. For the last month or so I read a lot of articles and saw many videos on youtube. I know the difference between the TN, Va or IPS panels. I know that I'm not pro gamer so I dont need 1ms latency I will do fine with 4ms.

I know few things: I would like to have 27 inch monitor with 144Hz. With the panel I'm not exactly 100% sure on that. I want the monitor mostly for gaming, then movies and videos. I know that IPS are the most expensive and TN are cheapest but I still cant decide. I would like to buy something which is in price range about 500 - 600 USD or 500€ (I'm from Europe). The price might vary a lot and unfortunately in my country if I select IPS panel combined with 144Hz on one of the largest czech shops I will get 3 results which is pretty bad.

https://www.alza.cz/EN/

This eshop has czech prices so it means something about 14 000 Kč (czech crowns) should be the highest possible for me.

On the other hand is it really worth it to push for 2K gaming 144Hz with RTX 2070? Is it strong enough to be able enjoy gaming in 2k with higher details? I mostly play games which are about visuals and I dont play FPS that much. I'm more into games like GTA, Division, X-plane 11, Tomb Raider, relaxing games like tropico, anno, mostly open world games like watchdogs maybe assassins creed etc. So I'm not definitely CSGO, BF or COD player. But if I would decide to play this game I would like to have the possibility to have 144Hz.

Also I'm very confused about things like G-sync, freesync, vsync, adaptive v-sync and screen tearing or other problems I may encounter if I will have more fps than refresh rate or less fps than refresh rate.

Thanks for your advices.

Samsung has a "cheap" 27inc curved 1440p 144hz monitor.The model name is Samsung CJG50

I have this one - https://www.skroutz.gr/s/12178038/Samsung-27CHG70.html?keyphrase=C27HG

It's a really nice display, supports HDR 600 and although it's not on the official Nvidia support list it does work fine with G Sync as long as you run it in normal FreeSync mode and not FreeSync Extreme which can cause ghosting in some games.

Also mine has this weird thing where it supports 1440p at 100hz or 4K @ 60Hz over HDMI even though officially it's only a 1440p 144hz display, running it through Display Port does support the full 1440p 144hz. I keep both HDMI & DP connected to my GPU and switch between them using the source selection so I can choose 1440 144 or 2160 60 which is a nice bonus.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The best 1440p 144Hz Monitor you can currently buy is the ASUS PG279Q.  

9 hours ago, Knight77 said:

The best 1440p 144Hz Monitor you can currently buy is the ASUS PG279Q.  

That is very possible but this specific monitor costs about 20 000 Kč in my country. Which is roughly about 870 USD

4 hours ago, OverlordCZ said:

That is very possible but this specific monitor costs about 20 000 Kč in my country. Which is roughly about 870 USD

A monitor is a big investment. 

I’d personally save up a little longer for it. 

The Acer Nitro VG270UP seems like a good budget option. It is a 27 inch 1440p 144hz IPS display that, from what I have read, is very good - apart from the stand.

Edit: It is also freesync over display port so g-sync works with it - though it might not be flawless as it is not officially g-sync compatible.

5 hours ago, Knight77 said:

A monitor is a big investment. 

I’d personally save up a little longer for it. 

I'm not comfortable to pay that much money for 2K monitor. Especially not on the 2070 which will give me about 80-100 fps in modern games if I set everything to ultra/maximum settings. I can get few fps more if I lower AA or some special settings like volumetric clouds in AC Odyssey.

2 hours ago, OverlordCZ said:

Also I thought that there is more monitors in the world which met some criteria of mine. Not some 10 products only:D

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#W=2690,2750&r=256001440&D=144000&T=1,10&P=2

I gave you the best 27” 2K 144/165Hz Monitor. 

I understand if you don’t want to pay that much - that’s up to you. 

Even if your 2070 can’t get you 144 today, that monitor could easily last you 5+ years. 

My last monitor i owned for 11 years. 

The monitor I have now and the one I will buy in 2 months time will easily last me another 10 years. 

Yes you can get cheaper ones, that’s fine, I just showed you the best one in terms of performance and quality. 

It was to let you know it exists and it’s the best.