Turntable or phono preamp buzz/hum

Right now I am trying to set up my turntable, but I can't seem to get rid of a hum with underlying buzz. The table I'm using is a Pro-ject debut III with an emotiva xps-1 phono preamp. The sound occurs whether or not the turntable is connected to the preamp and I have also tried connecting the ground terminal of the preamp to a ground terminal on my surge protector with no change. In the past I have also tried using a schiit mani, but I have the exact same issue, with more of a buzz I believe. 

All of my audio devices are connected to one power strip so there shouldn't be a ground loop.

Is there some dumb thing I haven't thought of that will fix this issue?

14 minutes ago, circeseye said:

have you tried different cables...a bad cable can cause hum

Yep, 3 sets of cables, while the cable from the turntable is permanently attached.  I could resolder a new one on though since it is kind of a cheap cable, but only if absolutly necessary.

5 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Do you have a grounding point on the turntable or preamp? 

The tt is grounded to the preamp of course, however currently there is no actual ground connection to an outlet since the preamp doesn't have a ground.  I tried grounding the preamp from the tt ground terminal to my power strip without any luck.     

14 hours ago, radmanhs said:

The tt is grounded to the preamp of course, however currently there is no actual ground connection to an outlet since the preamp doesn't have a ground.  I tried grounding the preamp from the tt ground terminal to my power strip without any luck.     

Try and connect it to a grounded object (such as the pipe from a radiator, i have all my grounds for my vinyl/stereo setup connected to one, works well enough.) you might get a ground loop issue on the ground terminal on the power strip.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

humming comes from crappy cables, bad grounds, or power cables right next to speaker wire introducing noise.

Should a phono preamp make a hum, even without a turntable hooked up to it?  Or is having only a phono preamp connected by itself a taboo and creates noises it shouldn't?

21 hours ago, radmanhs said:

Should a phono preamp make a hum, even without a turntable hooked up to it?  Or is having only a phono preamp connected by itself a taboo and creates noises it shouldn't?

Like @TheFlyingTraut said, it comes from badly shielded cables, bad grounds or noisy stuff next to cables. Try new cables from amazonbasics or chord etc. also try a different grounding method, and check if the turntable has a ground pin on its plug

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On my setup, my turn table, and preamp both have grounding lugs, as does my receiver. You should have it on one of those things at least, if not all. Replace your cables with some new ones and check the result. Just look for rca's with ground wires build into them. They look like a little pigtail thingy.