Are 2.5" HDDs OK?

Go to solution Solved by rustikles,

For the little bit of extra airflow you could get by removing the drive cages, compared to the increased price of a 2.5" drive, not worth it at all IMO.

Just stick with the 3.5".

Hey guys

I'm helping a friend of mine to build his first (budget) gaming PC. I was going to use a £45 (about $60 I think) 3.5" WD Blue 1TB drive, but this would of course require the use of the 3.5" cage. The case we'll be using is the Fractal Arc Mini R2, which has a pair of 2.5" mounts behind the motherboard tray. This lead me to wonder: would it be better to use a 2.5" HDD and mount it there? It would mean I can remove both 3.5" cages for better airflow.

Are there any cons to using 2.5" drives?

The 2.5" mounts don't have anti-vibration grommets - will this be a problem?

FullNuclearBreakfast

Also sorry for the wordy OP

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

For the little bit of extra airflow you could get by removing the drive cages, compared to the increased price of a 2.5" drive, not worth it at all IMO.

Just stick with the 3.5".

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

You won't have any issues with the 2.5", just an increased cost. I would most likely just stick with the 3.5"

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Hey guys

I can remove both 3.5" cages for better airflow.

If you want better airflow, Seagate makes slim 3.5 inch drives that aren't much more expensive than the normal ones. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Are there any cons to using 2.5" drives?

The 2.5" mounts don't have anti-vibration grommets - will this be a problem?

Primary con, as mentioned, is cost IMO, although 2.5" drives also tend to

be slower when it comes to transfer bandwidth (at least last I checked).

As for vibrations: Up until a few years ago, we used to mount our HDDs

without any vibration dampening, it worked just fine for many decades.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Thinking about it, putting a hard drive round the back means it won't be cooled at all. I've seen hard drives (ok they were ATA) get fairly warm before.

To be honest, I don't think the added cost is worth the extra airflow in this case. I need to cut costs as much as I can, and personally I don't think my friend is going to notice a difference in temps.

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

performance-wise the 3.25" drive is a bit ahead, not too much, probably not noticeable if you have an SSD as main drive.

performance-wise the 3.25" drive is a bit ahead, not too much, probably not noticeable if you have an SSD as main drive.

I won't be using an SSD - I'll be using the HDD as the boot drive. My friend simply can't afford to buy an SSD yet.

I won't be using an SSD - I'll be using the HDD as the boot drive. My friend simply can't afford to buy an SSD yet.

Then get the 3.5" if cost is that much of an issue :)

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Well most of you's better stock up on 3.5" drives because they will be come instinct pretty soon, all manufacturing to concentrate on 2.5".

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.