Signs a gpu has overheated

Proprietary
Go to solution Solved by Froody129,

All modern cards will shut themselves down before any real damage occurs. As for the dust- 1070s are still quite new, so shouldn't have too much dust. You can blow it out with a your mouth, a compressor or a can of compressed air. Just try to not spin the fans. 

Don't worry about the card too much if it works. GPUs normally last ages and modern ones have a lot of protective measures for them

I bought a used gtx 1070 from ebay. The gpu looks fine. But is it possible to tell if it has overheated before? What are some physical or performance signs? 

No, its not possible to know.

And in some cases, if its not too bad, the Card still works without anything you can notice.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

If the overheating is not too bad, will it still impact the gpu’s benchmark and lifespan?

25 minutes ago, Proprietary said:

If the overheating is not too bad, will it still impact the gpu’s benchmark and lifespan?

Well generally speaking unless the overheat is extreme it poses no great issue, what does pose a great issue is thermal fatigue which is cause by different parts of the card heating and cooling at different rates, thereby causing the materials to expand and contract at different rates, leading to broken solder joints, leads, and warped PCBs, to spot this (this is harder on 1070 class GPUs as they have backplates) examine the rearview of the card and you will notice that around hot components that the PCB tends to be shinier, or be discolored around hotter components, this will also help indicate the wear and use of other portions of the card. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Thanks. One more concern. One small non-conductive part of my PCB is corroded (the rest is shiny and clean). I wiped it off with alcohol. Does the corrosion indicate a long period of usage? 

1 minute ago, Proprietary said:

ne small non-conductive part of my PCB is corroded. I wiped it off with alcohol. Does the corrosion indicate a long period of usage? 

long period, maybe. or some moist environment.

it may be just dirty as well

How long does it take, on average, for dust to build up in fans? The one I bought has no dust on the outside but has a thin layer built up on the inside...

5 minutes ago, Proprietary said:

How long does it take, on average, for dust to build up in fans

there no reference point. 

environment/ case/ dust filters/ stickiness of dust etc 

eg in city the dust built up is black and oily/ 

my pc is on opencase with dust filter on every fan, 

50 minutes ago, Proprietary said:

How long does it take, on average, for dust to build up in fans? The one I bought has no dust on the outside but has a thin layer built up on the inside...

Depends on too many factors. If you have pets that go outside it can build up super quickly. When I was living with my brother and his dogs, I'd have to clean my PC every other month because it would just be caked in dust.

All modern cards will shut themselves down before any real damage occurs. As for the dust- 1070s are still quite new, so shouldn't have too much dust. You can blow it out with a your mouth, a compressor or a can of compressed air. Just try to not spin the fans. 

Don't worry about the card too much if it works. GPUs normally last ages and modern ones have a lot of protective measures for them

That's an F in the profile pic