Bush Badger
Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,
Just now, Mr Magic Man said:

8700k 4.9ghz
2080ti
trident Z 3200 CL16 16GB
Aorus gaming 7

RM850X

it seems so strange as I used to have a 1080ti and i have had better performance 

double check your RAM frequency using CPU-Z, I don't know how you could possibly have better performance assuming you didn't change anything, your GPU is not even fully utilized, so it won't boost clocks because it doesn't need to, it's just chilling there waiting for the CPU, it's possible that the CPU itself is being the bottleneck, or the CPU is being bottlenecked by something else which would be the RAM, it's all a chain, RAM>CPU>GPU, and I have no idea which game you're testing, is it CSGO?

But again it really depends on the game, not all games are optimized well enough to better use your 8700K

I have a 2080ti in my computer and I am mostly playing first person shooter games. I capped my FPS in game at 245fps 1080p. The game is mostly running at 240-245 80% of the time but with occasional drops down to 180 - 200 but I realized that when it drops the GPU is still at around 50% load with the baseclock of 1350mhz. shouldnt boostclock kick in to preserve that 240fps? I thought 2080ti should be an overkill for 1080p gaming and I dont think my 8700k at 5ghz is bottlenecking

update, This is my first time messing with MSI afterburner and I read somewhere that you can lock the baseclock so I locked the 2080ti Lightning Z at 2160 mhz, will that harm my card? 

image.png

1 hour ago, Mr Magic Man said:

I have a 2080ti in my computer and I am mostly playing first person shooter games. I capped my FPS in game at 245fps 1080p. The game is mostly running at 240-245 80% of the time but with occasional drops down to 180 - 200 but I realized that when it drops the GPU is still at around 50% load with the baseclock of 1350mhz. shouldnt boostclock kick in to preserve that 240fps? I thought 2080ti should be an overkill for 1080p gaming and I dont think my 8700k at 5ghz is bottlenecking

If your GPU is at 50% load then it is bottlenecked by your CPU, no amount of overclocking will affect anything as you're not even saturating the card, and it really depends on how well the game is optimized really

RAM speed can help a lot in keeping the frame rate stable, also having Dual Channel memory, what's your system specs?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

2 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

If your GPU is at 50% load then it is bottlenecked by your CPU, no amount of overclocking will affect anything as you're not even saturating the card, and it really depends on how well the game is optimized really

RAM speed can help a lot in keeping the frame rate stable, also having Dual Channel memory, what's your system specs?

8700k 4.9ghz
2080ti
trident Z 3200 CL16 16GB
Aorus gaming 7

RM850X

it seems so strange as I used to have a 1080ti and i have had better performance 

8700k 4.9ghz
2080ti
trident Z 3200 CL16 16GB
Aorus gaming 7

RM850X

double check your RAM frequency using CPU-Z, I don't know how you could possibly have better performance assuming you didn't change anything, your GPU is not even fully utilized, so it won't boost clocks because it doesn't need to, it's just chilling there waiting for the CPU, it's possible that the CPU itself is being the bottleneck, or the CPU is being bottlenecked by something else which would be the RAM, it's all a chain, RAM>CPU>GPU, and I have no idea which game you're testing, is it CSGO?

But again it really depends on the game, not all games are optimized well enough to better use your 8700K

3 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

i was testing it on World War Z, Rainbow 6 and Killing Floor 2 

3 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

uh oh this isnt good 1600mhz? 

image.png

DDR means double data rate, some apps will automatically do the doubling and some wont (like CPU-Z). So 1600MHz is correct because double that is 3200MHz when doubled. You look at your CPU graph per-core and see if any core is at 100% when you get a performance drop, if you do then it's just a CPU bottleneck. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

i was testing it on World War Z, Rainbow 6 and Killing Floor 2  

oh.. those are all heavier than the average esports title, 180-240 FPS is definitely what I would expect your system to perform in those games, not sure about World War Z it's too new, but I do know Rainbow 6 and Killing Floor 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

uh oh this isnt good 1600mhz? 

No it's fine, DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so 1600x2=3200mhz

3 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

oh.. those are all heavier than the average esports title, 180-240 FPS is definitely what I would expect your system to perform in those games, not sure about World War Z it's too new, but I do know Rainbow 6 and Killing Floor 2

No it's fine, DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so 1600x2=3200mhz

that really tripped me out because me and that guy had the same setup and i was also getting somewhere in the 300s too back then and right now i have everything on low and im struggling to maintain stable 240. should I re do my overclock?

9 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

that really tripped me out because me and that guy had the same setup and i was also getting somewhere in the 300s too back then and right now i have everything on low and im struggling to maintain stable 240. should I re do my overclock? 

Possibly the game got heavier, you can test in other games that you know well how they perform

3 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

Possibly the game got heavier, you can test in other games that you know well how they perform

outta curiosity, if i get a 9900k and a maximus hero I should be hitting 240 constant right? 

outta curiosity, if i get a 9900k and a maximus hero I should be hitting 240 constant right? 

If RS6 is able to utilize the 2 extra cores properly then sure?, but why would you? it doesn't make sense to pay 500$ for that

First test with an overlay how much your CPU is actually being utilized, most games don't use all the cores equally, so 1 core could be at 100% while the other cores are lower than that, in that case a 9900K might not help you much at all, also you need to consider that you might be running things in the background that are taking CPU usage, you're trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed honestly

9 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

If RS6 is able to utilize the 2 extra cores properly then sure?, but why would you? it doesn't make sense to pay 500$ for that

First test with an overlay how much your CPU is actually being utilized, most games don't use all the cores equally, so 1 core could be at 100% while the other cores are lower than that, in that case a 9900K might not help you much at all, also you need to consider that you might be running things in the background that are taking CPU usage, you're trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed honestly

gunna hop into a game then let you know

somewhat stable FPS at 240 no crazy dip but I have yet to test it out enough. Is this game giving my CPU a good run of my money?

image.png.de292b113119a3f93f7ac73f27e6cc6a.png

You can turn up the settings to put more load on the GPU at what should be little or no cost to FPS. You also have a prettier game and value for the boat load of cash that card cost. 

Don't chase numbers too much imo. You can even just cap it at 200fps. You'll still have a silky smooth game and an advantage, while not having to deal with FPS drops

That's an F in the profile pic