Will 5400rpm HDD be too slow for HDD specifically set for Video saving and editing?

iM8Pizza
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Yes, 5400rpm will be 30% slower than 7200rpm.

For video editing if you don't have many rams, the hdd will slow you down.

My suggestion is, use the 5400 as a storage, not a working drive.

Unload the files in your 7200rpm to the 5400, and put the working files in there.

SATA 2 is enough for older HDD less than 150MB/s drive.

Also this is 2019, have you thought about SSD?

Hi there guys, the title implies what I'm asking already but I'll go more into depth as to why.

My case is running out of 3,5" HDD slots and the only space left is a single 2,5" HDD slot, the only available speed (as in RPM) for 2tb HDD that size (2,5") is at 5400rpm. Question, will it affect the speed of processes in video editing? (I'm rather new in this kind of thing and back then I don't really care much since I use any space available in my current 3,5" 7200RPM HDD, but there's no space left so I'm looking to buy one that is specifically for video saving and editing it).       Another Question, my motherboard is an old one so it only has SATA2, not SATA3. I don't really have a problem with it, it's slower but nothing I can't handle personally. So, will the 5400rpm be slower compared to a 7200rpm one or will it be at about the same speed in SATA2?

Thank you, please inform me of more information in this part since I'm kind of blank in terms of information in this part.

Unload the files in your 7200rpm to the 5400, and put the working files in there.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

yes, I have an SSD for my Boot drive, but for mass storage, It's too expensive for me. at where I live (the cost is pretty much the same nationally) an Apacer AS340 960GB SSD will go for Rp1,869,000 or about 131USD whilst a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm will cost me Rp680,000 or about 48USD, which in my opinion is too much for me at this time. Thank you for your answer @SupaKomputa, I suppose I have it figured out now.

The Seagate BarraCuda has versions of 5400RPM and 7200RPM for the same capacity, it all depends on the revision number, you can check your model number here to be sure what RPM was assigned to your device:

The Seagate BarraCuda and, like any other HDD, will be limited by its mechanical system and one option you have available to increase your reads and writes would be setting up a RAID configuration, so I suggest you try this and you may find some more benefits... But we are working on other types of hard drives that will change this forever. HAMR, MACH.2 and Multi Actuator, these are words that will resonate in people's ears because this will bring the HDD's RPM to compete with entry-level SSDs reaching readings of 480MB/s, we are already reaching these speeds with the Seagate Exos enterprise hard drives, but with the advances of the industry I would not be surprised to see a mid-tier version of this technology for the masses (Like most of the technology, first for enterprise and then a version for consumers), you can read more here:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming