First Ryzen Build

Hello

Long time subscriber first forum, im building a powerhouse compared to my current rig (a8-6600k,8gb ddr3).

so far im a little stumped on memory as the R7 1700x States 2666Mhz and the Mobo Ive chosen (Rog Strix B450 F Gaming) says 2666mhz but OC on the the higher frequency's, now whats im wondering is should i stick with getting 8GB Hyperx 2666mhz or is it safe to spend the extra cash on a Hyper X Predator RGB 8GB 2933Mhz?

this system is incomplete as of right now but that is the only bit left to get and i want as much stock grunt as i can get, also why i went for the 1700x over the 1700 as in England it was only 10 quid more so why not :).

if you are going to be doing to be doing twitch games then go with the higher frequency ram. but if you are going anything else then go with the lower frequency ram. but if you really care about that sweet RGB!! then go with the hyper x predator RBG. in conclusion if it is just a closed non-see though case and just planning on doing simulators or general workstation tasks then go with the lower frequency RAM. also that motherboard is brilliant. ?

Tbh i am planning on doing alot with this new system and using it for a very long time, also it will be my first RGB system so yeah i would like the RGB :P, so what your saying is the frequency is fine and all 3 would work together?, heh it does look brilliant, look even better when its in a case ;)

If you can't be bothered to overclock, just get the highest speed possible and make sure its dual-channel.

If you are willing to overclock, you can get lower speeds (providing its cheaper) and then overclock it to 3000-3200Mhz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

15 minutes ago, lilmiloez1205 said:

now whats im wondering is should i stick with getting 8GB Hyperx 2666mhz or is it safe to spend the extra cash on a Hyper X Predator RGB 8GB 2933Mhz? 

Faster would be better if there isn't a big price difference. Grab a 2x8GB kit though. There's some Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3000MHz kits for under 80 pounds.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

24 minutes ago, lilmiloez1205 said:

safe to spend the extra cash on a Hyper X Predator RGB 8GB 2933Mhz?

Look at getting 3000mhz memmory.

25 minutes ago, lilmiloez1205 said:

Mobo Ive chosen (Rog Strix B450 F Gaming)

Have you bought this motherboard?

If not id swap it with something else. The ROG Strix board isnt great.

Something like the Asrock Steel Legend or MSI Tomahawk is better or if you dont like those there are a lot others. 

due to price restraints i can only afford 1x8gb module at the moment but i will be getting a second for dual channel :),i may overclock in the future once ive learnt a little more about it, so are you saying that its safe to buy the faster one even though the 1700x only states 2666mhz, sorry about all the questions this is my first BIG build and i want to get it right, im used to basic pc's not power houses heh,

yes i already have this board

Just now, lilmiloez1205 said:

due to price restraints i can only afford 1x8gb module at the moment but i will be getting a second for dual channel

Get a 2x4 GB config. You do not want singlechannel memmory. 

Not buying the expencive ROG board should free up extra credits. 

What is your budget?

What are you upgrading?

And what sre your full system specs atm

about 60 quid for memory

not upgrading, full base build

Ryzen 7 1700x

Strix B450-F Gaming

260gb SSD

600W EVGA

thats what i have so far all i need is memory and the frequency of 2666 on the R7 but higher on my mbo is confusing me

2 minutes ago, Lilmilez1205 said:

about 60 quid for memory

not upgrading, full base build

Ryzen 7 1700x

Strix B450-F Gaming

260gb SSD

600W EVGA

thats what i have so far all i need is memory and the frequency of 2666 on the R7 but higher on my mbo is confusing me

XMP counts as OC, but its really just setting plugging in a frequency. So nothing to worry about 

What is you budget for this upgrade?

What 600 watt PSU is that?

i just said lol ive about 60 pound left, hence why im only interested in 1x8gb module at the moment as i would like to get another the following month.

ahh so i can go right up to 3200mhz if i felt the need as the mobo says it supports it but in OC

i think its a W1 which had a bad rep aswell but still works today, so im gonna recycle it and use it for now untill i can get a better one as far in the future i want to run a dual GPU setup but i havnt got that far yet

1 minute ago, Lilmilez1205 said:

dual GPU setup but i havnt got that far yet

That's a waste of money unless you go 2x 2080 Ti and absolutely need more power than a single 2080 Ti can give you. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

3 minutes ago, Lilmilez1205 said:

just said lol ive about 60 pound left, hence why im only interested in 1x8gb module at the moment as i would like to get another the following month.

You mobo has 4 dimmslot. You dont want singlesticks

Have you bought all the other components or have you just picket them out?

Why don't you go with a 2700x instead? The 1700x is a good processor but it isn't a finished product from my perspective. Or you could wait a month or 2 and get the 3000 series. 

5 minutes ago, Lilmilez1205 said:

want to run a dual GPU setup but i havnt got that far yet

Um...... No you wont. DualGPU is a waste of money. And creates more problems than it gives performance.

the SSD and PSU i already own along with the board and im waiting for the R7 to be delivered, im just stuck on what memory to get

Just now, ISmokeAir said:

Why don't you go with a 2700x instead? The 1700x is a good processor but it isn't a finished product from my perspective

Dakeck is that statement?

because the 2700x is WAY out of what i can afford in the country as its like 270 quid, and i picked up the 1700x for 140 on a sale,

Just now, Lilmilez1205 said:

the SSD and PSU i already own along with the board and im waiting for the R7 to be delivered, im just stuck on what memory to get

And if you return the board. How much money do you have to play with? Because its not a great board. 

Id also look at swapping that PSU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£91.74 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£48.50 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £140.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-28 11:53 BST+0100

Here is a better board to pick up. Also dual stick config. Pick up a second set later on

And if you dont want to swap the board. At least get this memmory kit instead.

1 minute ago, Lilmilez1205 said:

because the 2700x is WAY out of what i can afford in the country as its like 270 quid, and i picked up the 1700x for 140 on a sale,

Remember you need a cooler for the r7 1700x as it doesnt include one. 

im going to reuse my 212 EVO for that, just gotta buy AM4 adapter which is 2 pound :)

ive heard good things about Vengeance, friend of mine has 32gb of it and its brilliant. i also think that was the first kit i actually looked at.

ill get that kit then :) i only want to go to 16gb total anyway so that will work really.

5 minutes ago, Lilmilez1205 said:

ive heard good things about Vengance

There are like 3 people who make memmory. So any old memmory stick is honestly fine. (That is a lie, there Re like 4 or 5)

I would still look at changing that board. The the strix and TUF B450 boards frpm Asus arent great. 

Just now, Lilmilez1205 said:

what is bad about them?

Bad VRM incomparison to price. 

Meaning they dont overclock well and may powerthrottle on future higher end CPUs. *May*, we dont know what AMD is planning in terms of power consumption. 

tbh if i ever changed CPU's i would just build a new system really as i use my systems for around 6 years a time and only ever change either the HDD or upgrade the GPU, ive had 1 for each DDR since DDR1, im not very rich so its like a really late birthday present to myself lol, i dont overclock usualy but as of late my poor A8-6600k just isnt up to the task of some of the things it used to be and i cant get a higher core on my current board and its DDR3 so i thought why not go up to DDR4 insted of spending on the DDR3 system