The WORST Product I've ever LOVED - Nubia Alpha Wrist-phone

I have wanted a wrist/forearm computer for as long as I can remember.

This isn't it..but it's a start.

image.png.522490c7953c8b6f4e8a583db51182ab.png

(If it shoots lasers, even better).

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

I am wondering if the watch wasn't designed to be worn inside of your wrist? I am thinking it could be bit more comfortable, maybe? Did anyone give it a try?

5 minutes ago, miki.j.13 said:

I am wondering if the watch wasn't designed to be worn inside of your wrist? I am thinking it could be bit more comfortable, maybe? Did anyone give it a try?

I had the same thought, but it makes it a bit more awkward and difficult to see the other side

Who signs off on these ridiculous designs. 

28 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

I had the same thought, but it makes it a bit more awkward and difficult to see the other side

Perhaps the future is some sort of angle to the camera and/or display?

Hmm... how to test all the options? Who has some spare parts, displays and a 3D printer I wonder... ;)

(Actually I do, but a bit clunky as the raspi pie and LCD are super old and the battery pack would be bigger than this thing! I did make a joke build MP3 player out of it though XD )

Unbox Therapy/MKBHD made a good point about flexible displays: the tech is here, and people really want to do something with it, but we don't have that aha moment yet.

To me, I agree with Linus at least that this is an awesome concept going in the right direction. It's a little too bulky, and I'd like to see the screen go all the way around, which as far as I know, would be a genuinely new kind of interface. (since it's like a dual-monitor but with no edge. it just wraps back into itself, which could make for some really modern UI.)

I remember when Livestrong wristbands were huge, and it seems every generation finds something trendy to put on their wrist, so I'm pretty interested. That is, until projector watches exist, (so I could take off, set it on a desk, project like a laptop, and detect my fingers typing as if there were a keyboard.) As far as folding tech, I think we're going to see some unique ways that screens can fold up/out/whatever like some kind of digital origami. imagine a little watch that you can take off and fold out into a phone form factor.

Those are some great points/ideas, @VegetableStu

To be honest, I think a big part of the appeal is the uniqueness and simplicity of a full wristband. It's so different it would make me want to try it for myself. One of the main reasons for wearables is, I think, to enable a new level of comfort, and maybe learn new ways to interact with tech. (But, are we ever going to get there?! I don't see anybody walking around with hololens/AR "glasses," as amazing as they are. :()

As far as the more traditional UI, having it on your arm or wrist still seems like it would be less practical/comfortable than a handheld, even if more practical than a wristband? But at least with a wristband, if it's light enough, it's modest and unintrusive, so one accpets not to expect a whole lot out of it, in trade for more flexibility, and different features. Maybe the key to wearables is minimalism?

I still like the idea of detaching them and turning them into something useful, but that would be a ways into the future if ever.