Logitech G930 - My first and last Logitech headset

So awhile back, I was using the Turtle Beach X12s headset. I bought it for $40, and I always thought it was actually a lower quality headset than most just for the price point. It was wired and the mic was not the greatest was my issue. In truth, it was a great headset, I never had any issues with them, and using it and its features was as simple as plugging it in. Audio was outstanding, and from that, I grew an appreciation for music, and can't accept anything lower quality than the best.

Exploring new options, since I wanted wireless and experience with a new brand, not to mention my headset slowly tearing apart, I looked at the Logitech G930. I read a review that moderately favored them, saying they had little issues. Well, that was his experience, I didn't read all of them as I should have.

So how is my experience? My initial thoughts were rather poor. It was not as straight forward as I liked, I had to go online, download drivers, connect my headset, and mess with the equalizer to find adequate audio settings. Not to mention, that without surround sound enabled, all audio favored the right speaker. I was disappointed, but it was convenient as soon as I had them ready. Gaming was fair, but the quality was not great. In fact, I favored my cheaper Turtle Beach X12s greatly over these. I'd rather deal with wires than such intolerable audio conditions. I essentially had to stop listening to music on my PC and use my ear buds on my phone if I felt like listening to music. I paid $100 for this, and $40 for my X12s, but the 12s are superior in audio quality? This easily deducts four points. I might as well saved $60 and just replaced the slowly breaking X12s.

General usage is mostly alright. It's nice to turn on my computer, unplug my headset, and just game. It's even nicer to get up and not worry about tripping over a wire or leaving my headset on. Battery life is OK, and the program that came with the headset at least warns me when it's about to die. There isn't anything to complain about, since this is the first time I've gone wireless and had ease. Even my PC was connected through ethernet as I was worried my WiFi connection would be insufferable as usual. That's about two point to keep. It works.

Driver issues are a real downer and basically ruin this product for me. Not only can I not adjust volume as high I'd like, since Logitech has to protect my ears for me, but there is a constant buzz. And when I say constant, I mean constant. Like almost every 2 seconds while listening to a song or playing a game. This isn't to mention how frequently it randomly disconnects or shuts off, however it decides to stop playing. Yes, every minute or so, it completely cuts off, in game, listing to music, just whatever. I can't use this headset. I can't bear it. That's another four points off. I don't spend $100 to use a product that ear buds and a cheap mic could perform better than.

To top it all off, to pull me completely away from Logitech, is that they're aware. Yep. All online complaints say that Logitech acknowledges this, but expects you to pay shipping for replacements and 'can't fix' the driver level issues.

All in all, I'd rate this a solid too outta den (2/10). tl;dr The 2 points are just because it's wireless and kinda works, and all the negativity is because it still sucks.

My advice? Logitech can't make headsets, seeing people say the same thing about the G35. Buy from anybody else, even a Beats headset of equal pricing somehow performs better.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Well, I wasn't planning on making my first post for a while and not really like this but eh, why not?

I just got these headphones a few weeks ago and they've been absolutely FINE. Granted, I don't know (or care) probably as much as you do about the driver stuff but they work fine for me. My only issue is that occasionally there's a popping sound on foobar whenever I use the play/pause/stop buttons or switching tracks, but like I said, OCCASIONALLY, so its not a big deal; I've read some background processes may cause it.

The only point I really agree with you on is battery life, it is kind of short, but hey, wifi requires watts! Someday perhaps we'll have batteries that can store 72 hours worth of energy or more and recharge in seconds.

The other thing is Linus did mention they're a bit wobbly and they are unfortunately but hey, $100 was my budget too.

My perfect set of headphones would have a wireless charging built into the headband, so I could just lay them on a stand and they would charge, no need to mess with stupid micro USB.

Linus showed off something like this with a removable battery but I'm not paying $300 for headphones, I'm not an "audiophile." (I forget what they were called, AS50 or something?)

I know RMA sucks, but I really think you just got a bad unit. Send it back. Life isn't perfect. =\

EDIT: One other glaring issue for me is that the mute button absolutely refuses to work. Odd. Oh well, as I said, life isn't perfect and they're decent IMO despite some flaws. Sound quality is absolutely fine for me but I've never been picky.

Anyway, I just don't want people to discouraged by one review. I think you can find similar reviews about EVERYTHING that's sold. It sucks to get a bad one but please, think of the larger picture. That's just what happens when things aren't hand made I guess.

Well, not the best forum intro but what can I say, you forced my hand. Perhaps I'll go back into stealth mode and reappear when I have a new PC build to show off. :P

LC

/Cloak engaged.

Well, I wasn't planning on making my first post for a while and not really like this but eh, why not?

I just got these headphones a few weeks ago and they've been absolutely FINE. Granted, I don't know (or care) probably as much as you do about the driver stuff but they work fine for me. My only issue is that occasionally there's a popping sound on foobar whenever I use the play/pause/stop buttons or switching tracks, but like I said, OCCASIONALLY, so its not a big deal; I've read some background processes may cause it.

The only point I really agree with you on is battery life, it is kind of short, but hey, wifi requires watts! Someday perhaps we'll have batteries that can store 72 hours worth of energy or more and recharge in seconds.

The other thing is Linus did mention they're a bit wobbly and they are unfortunately but hey, $100 was my budget too.

My perfect set of headphones would have a wireless charging built into the headband, so I could just lay them on a stand and they would charge, no need to mess with stupid micro USB.

Linus showed off something like this with a removable battery but I'm not paying $300 for headphones, I'm not an "audiophile." (I forget what they were called, AS50 or something?)

I know RMA sucks, but I really think you just got a bad unit. Send it back. Life isn't perfect. =\

EDIT: One other glaring issue for me is that the mute button absolutely refuse to work. Odd. Oh well, as I said, life isn't perfect and they're decent IMO despite some flaws. Sound quality is absolutely fine for me but I've never been picky.

Anyway, I just don't want people to discouraged by one review. I think you can find similar reviews about EVERYTHING that's sold. It sucks to get a bad one but please, think of the larger picture. That's just what happens when things aren't hand made I guess.

Well, not the best forum intro but what can I say, you forced my hand. Perhaps I'll go back into stealth mode and reappear when I have a new PC build to show off. :P

LC

/Cloak engaged.

Odd, I never knew Linus had a review over them. I just read an online review. The wobbling I don't notice. Occasionally, the ear pieces pop off a bit if I twist my head in an ungodly fashion, but only then, and that's as far as comfort goes. It's moderate, nothing to complain about or glorify.

I wouldn't say I got a bad unit, I'd say it's more average, since this is a disturbingly common issues. I can't replace the drivers, either.

The mute feature is also a thing with me. Luckily, I use push to talk in TS3 and similar applications.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Odd, I never knew Linus had a review over them. I just read an online review. The wobbling I don't notice. Occasionally, the ear pieces pop off a bit if I twist my head in an ungodly fashion, but only then, and that's as far as comfort goes. It's moderate, nothing to complain about or glorify.

I wouldn't say I got a bad unit, I'd say it's more average, since this is a disturbingly common issues. I can't replace the drivers, either.

The mute feature is also a thing with me. Luckily, I use push to talk in TS3 and similar applications.

Weird. Then I got an above average unit. :D W00t.

I have the same headset and it's not the greatest but its not as bad as you say it is... 

- Audio quality is usually worse on 7.1 anyways, but the audio isn't that bad...

- The software had to be limited due to legal issues with some organization (downgrade to an earlier version).

- The disconnect problem you have has to due with interference from other wireless devices, probably you router (change the channel).

- The buzz usually comes from the system not the headset.

Granted i will never buy another Logitech headset again either haha

"The internet is a series of tubes"

The G930 is very very unexceptional in my experience. The Vengeance 2100 is a much better option for $10 more at NCIX.

The G930 is very very unexceptional in my experience. The Vengeance 2100 is a much better option for $10 more at NCIX.

what about going with a "audiofile" grade headphone over these?

...I like mine I'll keep my opinion to myself I guess

ALSO HI LINUS

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Well hello linus :) 

Have you tried in another location as 2.4ghtz can be crowded in some homes?

Aselwyn1

i've had the g930 for a year now. first set lasted 4 month before a freak electrical issue popped up, the RMA was pretty easy, and the replacement is solid. zero issues, even in the wifi saturated College Dorm i live in. hell, I have a wireless mouse, laptop, rommate's laptop, cell phones, and countless other wireless devices in the rooms around me. despite all the RF noise, I still get clear audio signal accross the entire floor of my dorm hall, with the exception of the far rooms.

i will say that the audio quality is nothing to brag about, especially the bass, but it's better than the earbuds I was using before.

however, I have not encountered the volume problem... my headset actually overpowers my laptop's speakers, and the monitor speakers for my desktop, in open air. I usually leave the volume at like 10% too. mic as well.

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

What I do now when gaming is I use my JVC S500 (cheap and amazing sounding headphones that created a revolt on some other forum I will not name), and then I ghetto mounted a super cheap 1.45 a piece mic from amazon that actually sounds surprisingly good (not for music recording obviously but voice chat) using a playing card which I wrapped several times around the wire (to make it hard) and then taped to the earcup so that it comes 3 inches or so from my mouth. Definitely recommend you guys do this if you feel too cheap to buy a modmic (frankly I don't know if they actually sound better than these cheap neewer lapel mics). 

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-3-5mm-Hands-Computer-Microphone/dp/B005DJOI8I/

Whatever you do ( a desktop mic can also be a great idea although it might be a hindrance space wise), just stop buying headsets and try to get creative by doing something like I did. 

I'll post pics of the mod if you guys want me to. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I have the G930s.

I've had none of these problems, they work as advertised and have decent sound quality. I've had no issues with drivers or buzzing, I vastly prefer stero over 7.1 though.

They get the job done, have no annoying cables, are comfortable for me and just work.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

I have the G930s.

I've had none of these problems, they work as advertised and have decent sound quality. I've had no issues with drivers or buzzing, I vastly prefer stero over 7.1 though.

They get the job done, have no annoying cables, are comfortable for me and just work.

Our Dear leader said it, it must be true haha!

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire