PC won't boot when D.O.C.P. is on

Krongfah

I just put together my first "real" system that I build everything myself.

Ryzen 5 2600X

ASUS Prime X470-Pro

16gb 3000mhz corsair vengence RAM

I tried to get the RAM to run at their full speed by turning on D.O.C.P because I've heard that's how you're supposed to do it, but it won't boot to Windows. I also tried turning off D.O.C.P and changing the RAM speed and voltage myself to 3000Mhz, 1.35 but that also doesn't work.

The only way I can boot to Windows is to use the default settings. I also made sure that I have the latest BIOS.

I have no experience doing this kind of thing at all so I don't want to mess with anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

I heard a lot of people stating that you need to have a bit of luck.
Do you have the vengeance lpx memory? anyway it should work. I have the same memory and currently running with x.m.p. on.
Now i remember, on my previous build i had both a docp choice and a xmp choice. You need xmp... I'm not sure how the story works with docp but i always was under the impression that you need some premium cooling ram and motherboard for that story to work .. might be wrong though ;)

Just now, Christiaan21-03 said:

I heard a lot of people stating that you need to have a bit of luck.
Do you have the vengeance lpx memory? anyway it should work. I have the same memory and currently running with x.m.p. on.
Now i remember, on my previous build i had both a docp choice and a xmp choice. You need xmp... I'm not sure how the story works with docp but i always was under the impression that you need some premium cooling ram and motherboard for that story to work .. might be wrong though ;)

Well, I'm running on AMD system so DOCP is basically AMD's equivalent of XMP so I don't know how I'd go about changing that lol. The RAM is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro. Also, I don't think I'd need to have premium cooling for this to work, no? I just want the RAM to run at its advertised speed.

1.35 likely isn't enough voltage for those timings. Try running looser timings or upping the voltage to say, 1.4v or more. With Ryzen, the XMP profile really isn't stable on every CPU out of the box.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

1.35 likely isn't enough voltage for those timings. Try running looser timings or upping the voltage to say, 1.4v or more. With Ryzen, the XMP profile really isn't stable on every CPU out of the box.

I've heard 1.4v is risky, you sure it's okay?

26 minutes ago, Krongfah said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 1.4v is the max you want to go with this Ryzen CPU, I'd stay under it if at all possible. on my UEFI screen, the text turns red and gives a warning that anything above 1.4v 'exceeds recommended voltage for this CPU'. For some reason, it defaulted to 1.4v even at stock frequencies which I believe caused it to run hotter than it should.

51 minutes ago, Krongfah said:

I mean 1.4v on the memory, not on the CPU. The memory can take 1.5v fine iirc.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Did you use the RAM slots the manual instructs to use?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 6:20 AM, Krongfah said:

Ryzen 5 2600X

ASUS Prime X470-Pro

I tried to get the RAM to run at their full speed by turning on D.O.C.P because I've heard that's how you're supposed to do it, but it won't boot to Windows. I also tried turning off D.O.C.P and changing the RAM speed and voltage myself to 3000Mhz, 1.35 but that also doesn't work.

The only way I can boot to Windows is to use the default settings. I also made sure that I have the latest BIOS.

I have no experience doing this kind of thing at all so I don't want to mess with anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

I had a similar problem with 3200 mhz G. Skill RAM not wanting to post and tried the ryzen DRAM calculator, along with Thaiphoon burner. Basically, you use thaiphoon to pull the memory info (die, make, etc) plug the info into the DRAM calculator and then it will provide you with the memory timings that should work for that specific RAM. Afterwards,  you go into your UEFI and 'plug in' those values DRAM calculator gives you.  

Anwyways, here's a pretty good youtube video with instructions:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 6:20 AM, Krongfah said:

Ryzen 5 2600X

ASUS Prime X470-Pro

There is a Ryzen RAM calculator and another tool out there that will greatly help you manually plug in the timings. I used it a few weeks ago when I was having trouble getting 3200mhz RAM to run with a Ryzen 5 system. Just google 'Ryzen calculator' and there are a ton of youtube videos showing you how to do it.

• 11 months later...

Hi, I know this thread is old but I'm having the same problem with a similar spec system.

Ryzen 5 2600x

Corsair 2X8GB 3200mghz rgb pro

Asus rog b450-f

GTX 1660 Gaming X

I've tried the Ryzen calculator several times but each time the system will either not do anything and give me a DRAM error or boot cycle until it automatically resets the bios. Does anyone know what might cause this?