Switching motherboards.

Hey all. I am hoping to get some clarification on a issue I may experience. I am upgrading my motherboard and CPU to a z390 and 9700k (From a z370 and 8700, please don't tell me how dumb it would for me to upgrade now, but I had the opportunity, so I am) Anyway, I bought a full license for Win 10 and I have it linked to my Microsoft acct. My question is, can I just boot the new MB from the SSD I have the OS installed on? What is the best, less complicated process to this?

Thanks to all :)

You do realize you can run a 9700k on a Z370 board.

If the key is tied to your MS account then you are fine. system should boot normally but you will need some different drivers to be installed.

Yeah I read about that and I would have to flash the BIOS (which I didn't want to mess with). I also heard that even the z390 strix while over clocking the 9700k wasn't that good. Amazon had a warehouse deal on a z390 hero so I decided to get a new board, and sell my z370.

Would you suggest uninstalling the old drivers first? What about my HDD with my games on it?

I think it's important to note so you're not caught by surprise if it happens that although yes you'll be able to just move the SSD over since the key is tied to a Microsoft acc sometimes windows in general doesn't like switching motherboards. It's possible you'll experience hiccups, glitches, reduced performance, etc. If that happens you'll have to reinstall windows. How likely this is to happen I can't say but just so you're aware.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I think it's important to note so you're not caught by surprise if it happens that although yes you'll be able to just move the SSD over since the key is tied to a Microsoft acc sometimes windows in general doesn't like switching motherboards. It's possible you'll experience hiccups, glitches, reduced performance, etc. If that happens you'll have to reinstall windows. How likely this is to happen I can't say but just so you're aware.

So, how would I go about doing a clean install of windows on the SSD I am using as the boot now?

38 minutes ago, Olivia Moore said:

So, how would I go about doing a clean install of windows on the SSD I am using as the boot now?

Unless you experience problems I wouldn't worry about it. If you do discover problems post back and we can help.

2 hours ago, Olivialifts said:

Hey all. I am hoping to get some clarification on a issue I may experience. I am upgrading my motherboard and CPU to a z390 and 9700k (From a z370 and 8700, please don't tell me how dumb it would for me to upgrade now, but I had the opportunity, so I am) Anyway, I bought a full license for Win 10 and I have it linked to my Microsoft acct. My question is, can I just boot the new MB from the SSD I have the OS installed on? What is the best, less complicated process to this?

Thanks to all :)

Well I can tell you I actually did it myself, changing from a Z370 to Z390 MB and yes it worked, Windows 10 booted right up and updated fine.

However it is best to do a fresh clean install of Windows, I did that soon after when I had the time to redo everything. Everything ran much better after also as it should with a clean fresh install.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

30 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Well I can tell you I actually did it myself, changing from a Z370 to Z390 MB and yes it worked, Windows 10 booted right up and updated fine.

However it is best to do a fresh clean install of Windows, I did that soon after when I had the time to redo everything. Everything ran much better after also as it should with a clean fresh install.

How did you do the fresh install?

16 minutes ago, Olivialifts said:

How did you do the fresh install?

Here is a a guide.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

9 hours ago, Ankerson said:

Here is a a guide.

Thank you!