Should I buy the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X ER-X ???

leokampaxis

Hey guys, I'm interested in buying the router in the title to eliminate the ping spikes I get when I play online while someone else is downloading or uploading something. My connection is pretty bad, I get 22Mbps down and 1Mbps up and I need to know if the smart qos feature that this router has will fix my issue.

2 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

What's your current router?

I don't know, does it matter?

smart QoS is never worth it. just get a good router and dont focus on QoS as it hardly makes a difference. (good QoS is marketing bloat to make gamers want to buy it). 

Just now, leokampaxis said:

yes. it does. 

37 minutes ago, Saksham said:

smart QoS is never worth it. just get a good router and dont focus on QoS as it hardly makes a difference. (good QoS is marketing bloat to make gamers want to buy it). 

yes. it does. 

Huh? I'll make sure not to get any advice from you ever again. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, leokampaxis said:

I think what @Saksham is getting at is most routers have QoS implemented poorly and it really doesn't make too much difference in many situations. 

What issues are you having with your connection? While 22/1 is a poor connection I have seen people with a poorer connection. 

55 minutes ago, leokampaxis said:

Yes it matters. Knowing what you have will help us make better suggestions. Plus we need to know if you have a gateway (Modem/router) or a separate modem and router. That makes a difference because we need to know how things are going to be configured. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, leokampaxis said:

Don't be so quick to judge. While @Saksham worded it a little over the top by saying it is never worth it, they are somewhat correct in that a lot of products that are advertised as having "smart qos" or similar don't really do much extra compared to a regular router.

What CAN make a difference is the type of queue/buffer algorithm the router uses - most notably the recent invention of the CodelQ algorith, This is especially important when you have a small upload speed, as your router constantly has to decide in what order to send packets, and if the upload rate from the LAN is too high then also decide which packets to drop. And good news! the "Smart Queue" in the Edgerouter X is actually based on the CodelQ algorithm.

When people talk about "Smart QOS", if they are talking about anything other than the queue/buffer algorithm, then they are talking psuedoscience and marketing-speak, or they are making assumptions about your traffic that might not be true for your network.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, Donut417 said:

I think what @Saksham is getting at is most routers have QoS implemented poorly and it really doesn't make too much difference in many situations. 

What issues are you having with your connection? While 22/1 is a poor connection I have seen people with a poorer connection. 

Yes it matters. Knowing what you have will help us make better suggestions. Plus we need to know if you have a gateway (Modem/router) or a separate modem and router. That makes a difference because we need to know how things are going to be configured

I know how to configure everything. My only question is whether my speed (upload mostly) is so low that it won't do anything or if it's fine. I know having smart qos enabled lowers your internet speed but my internet speed is already low. Basically I need to know if smart qos will even do anything.

42 minutes ago, leokampaxis said:

I know how to configure everything. My only question is whether my speed (upload mostly) is so low that it won't do anything or if it's fine. I know having smart qos enabled lowers your internet speed but my internet speed is already low. Basically I need to know if smart qos will even do anything.

It depends on what is happening on your network that will consume upload bandwidth. If you only have a single device that does most of the traffic then there probably won't be a big impact. But if you have multiple devices active at once then it can help. Personally I would get the EdgeRouter X and give it a try with the smart queue enabled and disabled. Even if the smart queue feature on its own ends up not helping dramatically, the ER:X is still a very good router choice.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I am an owner of EdgeRouter X.

The EdgeRouter X is a good little work horse but it does require a bit more configuration up front before you can use it.  It is definitely not a consumer level router.  It is meant to be used in small to mid sized business but there is no reason why you couldn't use it at home.

I am not trying to steer you away from it.  I just want you to know that it is not a user-friendly router, and it takes time to get all the configuration right.

It is a wired router so if you need WiFi then you will need to either 1) buy an access point or 2) buy another router and run it as an access point or simply using it as a different subnet.

Setting QoS in EdgeRouter X requires usage of the command line interface using a terminal.  Take a look at this website.  https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/216787288-EdgeRouter-Quality-of-Service-QoS-  If it reads like foreign language then you need to re-consider if you really want to get it.

Good luck

5 minutes ago, beyonddc said:

I am an owner of EdgeRouter X.

The EdgeRouter X is a good little work horse but it does require a bit more configuration up front before you can use it.  It is definitely not a consumer level router.  It is meant to be used in small to mid sized business but there is no reason why you couldn't use it at home.

I am not trying to steer you away from it.  I just want you to know that it is not a user-friendly router, and it takes time to get all the configuration right.

It is a wired router so if you need WiFi then you will need to either 1) buy an access point or 2) buy another router and run it as an access point or simply using it as a different subnet.

Setting QoS in EdgeRouter X requires usage of the command line interface using a terminal.  Take a look at this website.  https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/216787288-EdgeRouter-Quality-of-Service-QoS-  If it reads like foreign language then you need to re-consider if you really want to get it.

Good luck

Thank you for your reply. I've seen some videos online and I kinda know how to set smart qos up but I'm more worried if it's going to work or not because my speeds are so low. I guess if I configure it correctly then it will be fine but I'm just not sure that's why I made this post.

I am actually stupid. Whenever I say smart qos I mean the smart queue feature of the rounter. 

QoS wont solve your issue. Your problem is ADSL, 

I ran into this constantly at work with tickets getting escalated to me. ADSL when hit with a load begins to buckle with interleaved, even with a good pair. Crosstalk and random interference are always an issue with DSL and with load channels begin to drop as HEC fails and packets being re transmitted. This is where your latency is coming from. This is due to the built in delay combined with no shielding. 

Call you ISP and ask if you can have your connection changed from interleaved to fast. Youll get occasional packet loss but your spikes will be gone. Trust me, I had to resolve hundreds of these calls, fixed it every time.