A scratch or really stubborn dust on my sensor?

79wjd

I've been trying to clean my sensor and I was able to get off most of the dust, but there is one spot that I can't seem to get clean no matter how hard I try. Note that I have used both an air blower and sensor swabs. I'm inclined to say it's just dust given that I've never tried to clean the sensor before, but it just won't come off.

Pre:

Pre.jpg

circled.jpg

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, RealCereal said:

Maybe it's a lens issue?

try on a different lens if you have more than one. otherwise there is dust on your lens

It's certainly not on the lens as that would never show up on a shot unless it was a painfully obvious large piece of dirt on the lens.

It seems that oil from the shutter on the sensor is the most likely culprit.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:57 PM, 79wjd said:

It's certainly not on the lens as that would never show up on a shot unless it was a painfully obvious large piece of dirt on the lens.

It seems that oil from the shutter on the sensor is the most likely culprit.

yes and no, depending on the lens its vary possible there could be something inside the lens someware ware you cant see. its un likely but it is definitely a possibility. if your sure its the sensor, best thing to do is take it to a professional and have them clean it if you haven't managed to get it. what tactics of cleaning the sensor have you tried?

Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

Unless it's on the rear element, I don't think there is a speck of dust that is so big to appear that obvious. In most cases, dust on the lens won't result in those spots even when stopped down. The exception is when there's spots of dust on the rear element, which is where it becomes more obvious and especially on the sensor itself. 

In your case, I personally wouldn't be too fazed by that one spot. For the shots that I regularly take, that spot is unlikely to cause any significant issues and is easily removable in post. You can definitely try to go to a professional to have it properly cleaned, but I would advise going out on a shoot and seeing if that spot affects your shots. If it doesn't, then you could probably just leave it until next time. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Unless it's on the rear element, I don't think there is a speck of dust that is so big to appear that obvious. In most cases, dust on the lens won't result in those spots even when stopped down. The exception is when there's spots of dust on the rear element, which is where it becomes more obvious and especially on the sensor itself. 

In your case, I personally wouldn't be too fazed by that one spot. For the shots that I regularly take, that spot is unlikely to cause any significant issues and is easily removable in post. You can definitely try to go to a professional to have it properly cleaned, but I would advise going out on a shoot and seeing if that spot affects your shots. If it doesn't, then you could probably just leave it until next time. 

The spot is definitely something that bothers me (and is visible at anything above f5~), and while I shoot RAW so that I can edit things, I tend to not be too interested in any kind of post.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Teradore said:

what tactics of cleaning the sensor have you tried?

Wet cleaning and an air blower.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The spot is definitely something that bothers me (and is visible at anything above f5~), and while I shoot RAW so that I can edit things, I tend to not be too interested in any kind of post.

I would still advise going out on a shoot and see how it's like if you haven't done so. I did it with my a6000 and despite some few dust spots, it didn't really do much although I later sent it back to Sony to have it cleaned as it later got to the point where it's just distracting. 

If you feel the same way as I did when it started to bother me, send it to a place where they can clean it professionally. I wouldn't try to do it myself if it's difficult to get out as you could risk leaving marks on the sensor itself. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

If you can't find the dust and physically resolve the issue, just use the "delete dust data" option in the menu

2 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

If you can't find the dust and physically resolve the issue, just use the "delete dust data" option in the menu

If its still there after this then you have a pixel that has shifted sensitivities and tou may need to see if tor camera can recalibrate itself.