how to move os from hdd to ssd can someone help?

SeQ3
Go to solution Solved by Benjeh,
10 minutes ago, SeQ3 said:

hello my problem is that I just got my new SSD installed into my computer its 970 Evo plus Samsung is using Data Migration from Samsung to copy my os to new SSD but my problem starts here I'm not sure how to run os from SSD in bios I tried many thinks but noting work if some could explain to me step by step how to make SSD as boot drive and HDD as spare disk many thanks the motherboard I'm using is MSI z370 gaming pro carbon.

Right first of all, you need to clone the hdd to the ssd, then in your bios set the ssd as the boot drive, once you've done this shut down the pc, power off, unplug sata from the HDD and boot, this is to confirm your ssd will boot to windows, if successful shut down, plug in sata to hdd, make sure ssd is still boot drive in bios then proceed to windows, open disk manager and then select the hard drive, format, you will remove all data from it and can now use it as storage.

1 minute ago, eemunni said:

I used samsung migration software. Try that

He literally said in the OP he used that software lol.

hello my problem is that I just got my new SSD installed into my computer its 970 Evo plus Samsung is using Data Migration from Samsung to copy my os to new SSD but my problem starts here I'm not sure how to run os from SSD in bios I tried many thinks but noting work if some could explain to me step by step how to make SSD as boot drive and HDD as spare disk many thanks the motherboard I'm using is MSI z370 gaming pro carbon.

If you cloned the drive properly (meaning that it's a bootable drive), you need to set the boot order in the BIOS. You need to essentially "tell" the BIOS to start the PC from another hard drive than it usually did and this setting should be called something like "Boot Priority", "Boot Order" etc. There should be a "boot" tab somewhere in the BIOS.

If that doesn't help and your PC still boots from the old drive despite setting otherwise in the BIOS, it means that the OS wasn't cloned properly and the BIOS cannot detect the boot information on the drive, let us know if that's the case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

10 minutes ago, SeQ3 said:

Right first of all, you need to clone the hdd to the ssd, then in your bios set the ssd as the boot drive, once you've done this shut down the pc, power off, unplug sata from the HDD and boot, this is to confirm your ssd will boot to windows, if successful shut down, plug in sata to hdd, make sure ssd is still boot drive in bios then proceed to windows, open disk manager and then select the hard drive, format, you will remove all data from it and can now use it as storage.

1 minute ago, eemunni said:

I used samsung migration software. Try that

He literally said in the OP he used that software lol.

1 hour ago, Benjeh said:

, then in your bios set the ssd as the boot drive, im not to sure how to do that 

8 minutes ago, SeQ3 said:

you know how to get into your bios? if not keep pressing delete until you get into the bios, there will be a BOOT PRIORITY section, you will need to set it so the SSD is the boot drive in the very first position. 

Go to the MSI website and download the manual, or if you have an actual manual in your motherboard box, read that. You should never ever do asnything in life without first researching the subject you intend to do. You can't expect people to do everything for you, sorry if that sounds harsh but you already have the information at hand from the mobo manufactuer at your disposal, they know better than anyone in here or any youtuber.

Tl;Dr: Read the manual that came with your motherboard.

the motherboard I'm using is MSI z370 gaming pro carbon.

2 minutes ago, SeQ3 said:

the motherboard I'm using is MSI z370 gaming pro carbon.

get into your bios and take a picture if you can please?

2 minutes ago, SeQ3 said:

it's like that 

cool they havnt changed it, here ya go.just do like the video shows ya. itll be one of the two that have a hard drive shaped icon. probably the one that aint in front atm. drag that to the very front. once ya get in windows ya can format ya ol drive and use it for storage

, here

cool ill tries that. I'm just cloning my os to SSD again thanks for help