Second Guessing NZXT 700i CAM Software

valvoa

Hello all, 

Building a new PC very soon but I'm starting to second guess my setup. I was initially sold on building a system that used the NZXT RBG ecosystem with CAM but have read nothing but nightmares about the software. Are there other cases out there that use better software and would anyone have any recommendations for other cases? I was thinking about the Lian Li O11 Dynamic but how do you control all the fans? My apologies in advance as I haven't built anything in quite some time. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.  

I'd highly recommend the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic. It's a great case with lots of room for cable management and other stuff. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($146.90 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($194.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($77.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($149.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($829.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($144.15 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans  ($97.99 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2371.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-12 10:16 EDT-0400

there's a list with corsair stuff instead

I have been using CAM software for several years now and I like it and have had little to no issues with it.  That being said and looking at the cost of the tower you are looking to get I would get a Lian li PC-011 Dynamic.  also youd dont have the price for the NZXT fans so im going to assume you already have them if not I picked up some of these for my system and they were a great  buy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCZ5WKJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

or https://www.amazon.com/Aigo-Performance-Adjustable-colorful-Controller/dp/B07CGH9CZL/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=rgb+fans&qid=1555078458&s=electronics&sr=1-11 if you want them to connect to your MB 

The watercooler is a decent option though and I would stick with it. The case is also Solid but the PC-011 is better.

image1 (1).jpeg

LOL that link though  and you had the same thoughts I did  besides the cooler. 

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

LOL that link though  and you had the same thoughts I did  besides the cooler. 

yeah I was messing around with the different methods of embedding lists and I couldn't figure out the right one lol

How do you control the fans? Something like Commander Pro?

7 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

also youd dont have the price for the NZXT fans so im going to assume you already have them if not I picked up some 

image1 (1).jpeg

I was going to add three additional NZXT RBG fans to the build, CAM would control the colors, speed and kraken correct? My current PC is ancient, fans are just hooked up to the MB with no RBG so this is a bit new to me.  

So let's say I went with just the 700 no i, that doesn't come with the CAM software correct? What would be the best way to control all the fans and even the cooler?

1 minute ago, valvoa said:

I was going to add three additional NZXT RBG fans to the build, CAM would control the colors, speed and kraken correct? My current PC is ancient, fans are just hooked up to the MB with no RBG so this is a bit new to me.  

yes they would be run through the Cam but at the end of the day you are spending  60-80 more for that feature for the additional 3 fans  the ones that will come with your cooler will be controlled by cam and will do most of the heavy lifting  the additional fans are mainly for looks and case air circulation.  the ones I linked you are quiet, have tons of different  lighting configurations and are $34.99 for 5 also they look the same as the NZXT ones and likely are just NZXT slapped there sticker on them changed the connector and added $90.00. Plus  the $35.00 ones come with there own fan hub. The only issue with them is they are Molex and you do need to use the remote to control them. 

2 minutes ago, valvoa said:

So let's say I went with just the 700 no i, that doesn't come with the CAM software correct? What would be the best way to control all the fans and even the cooler?

Cam is free and you dont need to have anything form NZXT to use it 

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

Cam is free and you dont need to have anything form NZXT to use it 

Gotcha, so what is the CAM powered smart device that comes with the 700i? Some smart hub? If I stuck with NZXT would I better off just getting the 700 and installing CAM and forget the hub?

8 minutes ago, valvoa said:

If you absolutely must be able to control all your fans at the same time with the same software you are better off going with Corsair and getting the parts listed in @Sychic Post.  The fans are cheaper, the coolers cheaper and the case he linked is also cheaper and the corsair fans come with a fan controller and software that all ties in together. 

Just now, ELSknutson said:

If you absolutely must be able to control all your fans at the same time with the same software you are better off going with Corsair and getting the parts listed in @Sychic Post.  The fans are cheaper, the coolers cheaper and the case he linked is also cheaper and the corsair fans come with a fan controller and software. 

ok, thanks for the help. 

Just another note: Corsair's iCue is actually really nice and comes with lots of effects and patterns a lots of customization. I really like it and I want to integrate more into it but the only real downside is that their products are hella expensive