Curious on what to do with CIS schooling

Ever since the past year or so, our schools CIS department has tanked for a few reasons

1. The main professor is mildly racist, and likes to humiliate people for their mistakes (he got on me a few times)
  2. Upper Level Classes like App development and C# are rarely offered due to low enrollment (so I can't graduate on time)
  3. The CIS "Club" is a laptop repair shop, where the "members" are not being payed for their labor

These reasons have been leading me to believe that CIS is just toxic

I would like to keep going, but this environment is weird

Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with this, since I want to stay at this University. 

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

I would like to, but if that backfires, would I get kicked out (or just treated like shit)?

Just now, Slottr said:

Make a formal complaint to the dean of your college.

7 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Ever since the past year or so, our schools CIS department has tanked for a few reasons

1. The main professor is mildly racist, and likes to humiliate people for their mistakes (he got on me a few times)
  2. Upper Level Classes like App development and C# are rarely offered due to low enrollment (so I can't graduate on time)
  3. The CIS "Club" is a laptop repair shop, where the "members" are not being payed for their labor

You can
1. do your classes 
2. do your classes
3. not go to the club (aka a bunch of people doing free work because they love it, hey. I'm not paid on this forum for helping you, how is it bad ?
 @colonel_mortis where's my paycheck !

Seriously though. you could probably learn C# on your own in the meantime if it's not offered atm. Go talk to the teacher's superiors about the racist behavior (is it actually racisme ?)

If you can't or just won't. you can do your classes.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

6 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I would like to, but if that backfires, would I get kicked out (or just treated like shit)?

Formal complaint, as in send them a respectful but assertive letter about the issues you have with your department/college

If they kick you out over that they'd be facing legal issues and you'd be owed compensation

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

About the racism

Hes really racist towards his foreign exchange students (Which doesn't help when you were dating one of them.)

He said stuff along the lines of

• (to a chinese student) I'm glad you signed your name in english, that would of made it harder for both of us if not
  • (to persian student) Do people bathe in your country, because most of these CIS kids don't..
  • (to Vietnamese student) He made her stand on a chair to read her speech and made it seem like he didn't understand her perfectly fine english

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Formal complaint, as in send them a respectful but assertive letter about the issues you have with your department/college

If they kick you out over that they'd be facing legal issues and you'd be owed compensation

Also I'll look into that

31 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I'm glad you signed your name in english, that would of made it harder for both of us if not

That's not really racist...

32 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

Do people bathe in your country, because most of these CIS kids don't..

While elitist, this also isn't really racist.

33 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

He made her stand on a chair to read her speech and made it seem like he didn't understand her perfectly fine english

I also don't really see how this one is particularly racist either. Without knowing the other side, one could also assume that she wasn't talking loud enough, he can't hear certain pitches well and she just so happens to talks in one of those ranges, or she doesn't actually speak English that well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

He's probably just an old knob who doesn't know any better. Just go to your classes, be patient, and learn as much as possible. Plenty of shits in the world, and you just have to take it sometimes. You made a commitment when you signed onto the course. You don't have to do anything extracurricular. I would also make a complaint at the end of the course. 

This really depends on which country you live in.  If you're in the EU, they would be violating most country's Hate Speech laws and face prision.

If you're in the US, he could be violating the school COC, but the person that would have to report it would be the student directly effected. As most exchange students do not want any scrutiny, it's usually unreported.  Unlike Title IX where the observer can report it, COC's aren't law.

1 hour ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

No. I don’t know where you go to college but reports to the dean should be confidential.

we actually had to report a professor in my own CIS program for abusive behavior. The dean did an investigation with several students and determined to fire the professor. Just in case it didn’t work out the professor didn’t know who filed the complaint.

That is the correct procedure and it’s what your school should do.

Don’t give up on CIS! It’s a great degree to have! Lots of fun to work in that field.

15 hours ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

If you would, then that school/Uni is not worth it for you. No level of education is worth it if they act like elitists. Besides, you can make public issue about it and raise your concerns. Get in touch with local politicians and other people who fund that place.

15 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That's not really racist...

While elitist, this also isn't really racist.

I also don't really see how this one is particularly racist either. Without knowing the other side, one could also assume that she wasn't talking loud enough, he can't hear certain pitches well and she just so happens to talks in one of those ranges, or she doesn't actually speak English that well.

Everything in there is basic racism. The first point could be interpreted as joke, but I'd need to hear tone it was said. And even then, that kind of jokes are only ok when people know each other. 2nd is full on racist about brown people, 3rd is racists and/or otherwise discriminatory based on nationality, gender or race. If you don't call it racism, what it is then? Like I said, if its joking, its very, very borderline and should get prof suspended.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you would, then that school/Uni is not worth it for you. No level of education is worth it if they act like elitists. Besides, you can make public issue about it and raise your concerns. Get in touch with local politicians and other people who fund that place.

Everything in there is basic racism. The first point could be interpreted as joke, but I'd need to hear tone it was said. And even then, that kind of jokes are only ok when people know each other. 2nd is full on racist about brown people, 3rd is racists and/or otherwise discriminatory based on nationality, gender or race. If you don't call it racism, what it is then? Like I said, if its joking, its very, very borderline and should get prof suspended.

Im not sure who funds the Uni, if its a state university. I'm assuming that going to the dean is my only real option

That first "joke" was not very light hearted tbh 

11 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

That first "joke" was not very light hearted tbh 

Thats what I thought. Thing with people claiming thats not <insert synonym for discrimination here> are ones who can't think of it from another angle.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you don't call it racism, what it is then?

Elitism.

And I only have one side of the story. And that side paints more of a 'boy who cried wolf' than it does someone being genuinely racist.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Elitism.

And I only have one side of the story. And that side paints more of a 'boy who cried wolf' than it does someone being genuinely racist.

If you want to be nitpicky.... It is discrimination based on nationality, race, gender and native tongue. Which is usually shortened to racism in todays talk. None of those case came up as elitistic to me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv