EA accused of secretly paying YouTubers for coverage

ExDreamer

Following accusations that Microsoft paid YouTube commenters to give the Xbox One favorable coverage, a similar accusation has been hurled at Electronic Arts, according to a post on NeoGAF outlining the plan (via IGN). In itself, a company paying someone to talk about their products isn’t an issue, but both Microsoft and EA have been accused of having the people paid sign non-disclosure agreements barring them from revealing their arrangements with the companies in question, which may be a violation of FTC guidelines.

According to the EA “assignment” posted on NeoGAF, from December 10, 2013 through January18, 2014, the publisher was willing to put up money for certain types of coverage of its next-gen and PC games, including: Need for Speed: Rivals, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, NHL 14, Plants Vs. Zombies 2, and Madden 25. EA offered $10 per CPM (Cost Per Mille), or $10 for every 1,000 views of the YouTuber’s total views. Different games have different “view caps,” but they are extremely high in most cases – Need For Speed Rivals had a view limit of 6 million, while Battlefield 4, for instance, has a view cap of 20 million. At $10 per thousand views, that could add up to some serious money. By comparison, Microsoft was only offering $3 CPM, with a view limit of 1.25 million.

On the face of it, there is nothing inherently wrong with this. EA is asking YouTubers that stream video to focus on certain aspects of their games, such as “Get to a heat level of 8 with 100,000 Speedpoints, put these on the line as cops swarm you” in Need for Speed Rivals, and focusing on BF4’s “levolution” (where you trigger an event that alters a multiplayer map, like bringing down a skyscraper). EA is asking those gamers to produce videos that make their games look exciting while highlighting certain aspects of it.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ea-accused-paying-youtubers-highlight-games-without-telling-public/#ixzz2r67YAonV

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

at least plants vs zombies is fun 

Too bad you don't have AMD because it will be supporting Mantle ;)

But, for real, does anyone play that on the PC?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

i did when it was originally on pc  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

i did when it was originally on pc  

Burned... (Yes, I am referring to myself; I only knew of it on iOS, but a quick search and wikipedia shows otherwise).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Well at least it was focused on certain aspects as you said. Some of these aspects may lead to an increase of sales, for instance levelution may attract someone so I can understand that. since microsoft wasn't mentioned in the last paragraph, I more worried about them. I mean why do that when xbox is known to everyone in the world? Battlelfield on the other hand is in a much worse situation so..

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

was this NOT obvious when all the gameplay channels covered Need for Speed Rivals on the same day TWO WEEKS after it came out? And none of them said a bad thing about it?

this sort of practice is commonplace, imo

Could be useful if PvZ required anything more than a calculator.

As for EA, who knew! Machinima wasn't the only one! Maybe IGN will be next...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

At least it's not as bad as what Microsoft was doing. Microsoft was paying them to give them positive reviews. EA is only paying them to talk about their products.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)