laptop water cooling

hi guys
i have an old laptop with an i7 2760qm.
it's not my primary computer and i would like to try water cooling it.
I know, that it isn't easy to water cool a laptop, but it should be possible.
Has anyone here ever done something like that?
My laptop also has a nvidia geforce gt 540m graphics card which will also need to be liquid cooled, because it gets up to 82°C hot.

The main reason to do so is, because i have fun tinkering with stuff like this, so pls don't tell me that it is not worth it.

Any help would be very welcome.

PS sorry for my bad english. I am german and my school english has become a little rusty.

5 minutes ago, Devryd said:

hi guys
My laptop also has a nvidia geforce gt 540m graphics card which will also need to be liquid cooled, because it gets up to 82°C hot.

The main reason to do so is, because i have fun tinkering with stuff like this, so pls don't tell me that it is not worth it.

PS sorry for my bad english. I am german and my school english has become a little rusty.

I've seen in a Youtube story from Linus that he did something like it. Vid is going to be out soon I would say. Maybe wait on that and see how they did it? 

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

i know that they are going to water cool a red camera with custom blocks and stuff, but i have no such tools at home for doing that.

or do you mean a different video?

9 minutes ago, Devryd said:

i know that they are going to water cool a red camera with custom blocks and stuff, but i have no such tools at home for doing that.

You would need to source a block for your CPU. As it's a laptop, it won't be a commercial one - hence why LTT custom built theirs. You might have a chance if you could find one on AliExpress, but otherwise your out of luck

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Just now, limegorilla said:

You would need to source a block for your CPU. As it's a laptop, it won't be a commercial one - hence why LTT custom built theirs. You might have a chance if you could find one on AliExpress, but otherwise your out of luck

i know that i'm not gonna find a block for socket g2, i thought about using small aluminium pipes and soldering them to a sheet of copper.
this plate of copper would then be placed on the cpu/gpu die and secured like the existing cooler.

i don't know it this will work, but it is the easiest way i could think of.

4 minutes ago, Devryd said:

i know that i'm not gonna find a block for socket g2, i thought about using small aluminium pipes and soldering them to a sheet of copper.
this plate of copper would then be placed on the cpu/gpu die and secured like the existing cooler.

That could work - no idea if that will give a significant difference in thermals tho. Personally I would go for it.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

19 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I do indeed mean a different video. I saw it on YouTube stories yesterday, might have been a couple of days old. I believe it was something with Steve from GN and they had a notebook upside down with a custom water loop on it and everything. I would wait to see how they did it and what the results were

Make sure to Mark solved, makes it much easier for someone who finds the topic with the same problem to find the solution!

Disclaimer: anything I say might be wrong, I'm just a human being and can make mistakes. Do your own research!

Make sure to quote me so I get a notification, can't help you if I don't get a notification...

Just now, Dioneyesos said:

I do indeed mean a different video. I saw it on YouTube stories yesterday, might have been a couple of days old. I believe it was something with Steve from GN and they had a notebook upside down with a custom water loop on it and everything. I would wait to see how they did it and what the results were

I belive that's on the Gamers Nexus Channel. Actually you might also want to check out their recent watercooling of a network switch as they did quite well

Bow down to me humans.

Just now, limegorilla said:

I belive that's on the Gamers Nexus Channel. Actually you might also want to check out their recent watercooling of a network switch as they did quite well

Might be, not sure. I have to say that I don't have time to watch it all... And indeed their network switch video might help as well. Although I think @Devryd isn't planning on making his own waterblocks... I might be wrong though XD

i saw the video on the network switch.
the problem is, that they used normal water cooling parts

i would need smaller stuff for my laptop
for excample i cant use a normal sized pump.

i will definitly check out the video with steve from gamers nexus

thanks for the tips

and maybe i will go for it with the "blocks" i mentioned

8 minutes ago, Devryd said:

i saw the video on the network switch.
the problem is, that they used normal water cooling parts

i would need smaller stuff for my laptop
for excample i cant use a normal sized pump.

i will definitly check out the video with steve from gamers nexus

thanks for the tips

and maybe i will go for it with the "blocks" i mentioned

You're not going to fit it all in the cassis of the notebook if that's what your goal is. Just forget it then, You would have run custom loop with some kind of radiator, pump and block. It's not going to be very portable if at all. If I was the one building it, I would make some kind of stand for it, so I could put the notebook on there, have all tubes and cables around/through it and mount the radiator to it as well, that way you at least have one stand with everything connected. 

i just watched the video, but i somehow think that they are going for a sub abient cooling on that laptop
that would be a little overkill i guess

i know that i cant get the whole water cooling stuff in my laptop, but i would like to get it as small as possible

i just ordered 1m of 6mm aluminium pipe and a 1mm thick copper plate
i'll keep you posted when the stuff arives

i have a 12V whindshield washer pump(don't know if this is the right name), which i will use to test the makeshift blocks

4 hours ago, Devryd said:

hi guys

It would be a definite challenge, like LTT working on their custom blocks for the Network Switch video, and the Red Camera.

You're not going to find a commercial block like @limegorillasaid, and you're going to have to go to AliExpress and find one.

It would be a cool project though.

If my answer got you to your solution make sure to 'Mark Resolved!
( / . _ . / )

3 hours ago, GabeThePCHelper said:

It would be a definite challenge, like LTT working on their custom blocks for the Network Switch video, and the Red Camera.

You're not going to find a commercial block like @limegorillasaid, and you're going to have to go to AliExpress and find one.

It would be a cool project 

The materials I ordered should be here some time next week 

I am pretty exited as well. 

Not sure if you've got any mounting holes to work with but Koolance sells several versatile water blocks, I've used the GPU-200 to water cool CPUs, GPUs, capture cards, and a PS4 Pro APU:
https://koolance.com/gpu-200-video-card-vga-chipset-water-block

image.png

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

Looks interesting, but the screws are a lot too big 

I Was rhinking about direct die blocks 

Are they different? 

I thought they might be smaller because they only cool the die, Not the heatspeader

10 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Looks interesting, but the screws are a lot too big 

I Was rhinking about direct die blocks 

Are they different? 

I thought they might be smaller because they only cool the die, Not the heatspeader

As in the screws are too big for the holes in the MOBO?

It was the same case when I wanted to slap one of these on my capture card so I just ran to the hardware store and got some M3 screws, washers, and nuts, works all the same.

So long as the channels on the arms of the block reach 2 mounting points this should work on anything, assuming nothing is raised above the die within .5-1" of said die.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

@TheAgnda

It is definitly an option that I will keep in mind. 

But first, I will try the method I mentioned above. 

I don't think you will ever get a full size waterblock into your laptop.
However, the block solution you mentioned here:

20 hours ago, Devryd said:

This should work, as long as your copper plates have a couple millimeters thickness to them. it would help if they were routed for the aluminum tubes that you're using.
It should be noted as well that you're most likely going to be dealing with a heat pipe sized tube.
If these options don't work you can try raspberry pi watercooling parts from modmymods here. They seem very well suited to your application.

There is also a number of products specifically available for your application on aliexpress, you can find a complete kit here.

Edited by kohh
wrong link

i was trying to replicate the current heat pipe design, just with water pipes. i know that it would be better to use channels in the copper plate, but i have no machines to make them.
i will try to solder the pipes first, and if this doesn't work i will try to get a thicker plate and machine it somehow

2 hours ago, Devryd said:

i was trying to replicate the current heat pipe design, just with water pipes. i know that it would be better to use channels in the copper plate, but i have no machines to make them.
i will try to solder the pipes first, and if this doesn't work i will try to get a thicker plate and machine it somehow

You can try a rotary tool, some are as cheap as 20$ although just soldering should be fine as I mentioned before.
Definitely post your results.
Are you planning on making copper hardlines for the entire build or are you going to also use soft hose?

First I will try the blocks with soft tubing just to prove the concept. 

If this works, I think I will use the Aluminium pipe, I Already have for the loop. 

I only have to find a full Aluminium Radiator to Not Mix metals