Is Elite Dangerous worth getting into?

Renton577

So I saw Elite Dangerous is on sale right now. I like space a lot and I enjoyed No Mans Sky. I just don't know how steep of a learning curve it has and how long it takes to get up to speed in the game. Basically I was wondering if I would have to dump a lot of time into the game to have fun. 

Dell G15 Ryzen Edition

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600H GPU: RTX 3050 RAM: 32GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 4TB SSD

MSI Modern 14

----------------

CPU: i7-10510U GPU: Nvidia MX 330 RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 1TB SSD

If you like a game with super complex controls it's loads of fun. Not only did I get it because it has a really difficult control scheme, but it also has VR support and let me tell you, I have yet to experience a more gorgeous VR game. If you have an immersive large monitor you will love this game.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have played on pc for few years , I have a HOTAS setup for it , works a lot better with that than keyboard mouse , or controller. It has good flight mechanics and tons and tons of stuff to do. The grind is not as bad as it used to be , and also has a solid community , mostly seems to be EU folks (not that that's bad) . Check out Obsidian Ant on YouTube for some amazing in game stuff . They game has come along way ,and if you are into space flight sim , its really worth it.

edit , forgot about your question , it kinda has a steep learning curve due to the complexity of the control base, and the game mechanics itself . It takes me awhile to set all the key bindings up for the HOTAS , but it has gotten a lot better and more intuitive . Lots of video trainers on youtube and many in game training areas

I was an early beta adopter and played it endlessly for many months, if you like something a lot more involved than, point, shoot, run, then you will. Love it. 

Yes, the control scheme is quite complex but ultimately it’s the same as a decent flight sim, but remembering you ave no gravity, so when you roll left, you keep rolling. 

I’ve been off the PC for about two years so just coming back to it and see it’s changed and had a LOT of add ons, so I am looking forward to getting back into it. 

It's a horrible grind, especially if you don't have a friend to help you out at the start. Otherwise it's plenty of fun and a beautiful game.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

As an alternative, Mandalore Gaming just reviewed this cool gem IMO.

Spoiler

Otherwise I hear Freelancer (Star Citizen from 1990) is still active.