Ipad 6th gen vs 5th?

MrIceCremeLollipop

Im on a very tight budget - I can get a Ipad 5th gen for £180 but I can get the 6th for 225 - Both the same condition and capacity, Is there going to be a noticeable speed difference? Should I spend that bit extra or what?

8 minutes ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Im on a very tight budget - I can get a Ipad 5th gen for £180 but I can get the 6th for 225 - Both the same condition and capacity, Is there going to be a noticeable speed difference? Should I spend that bit extra or what?

Noticeable speed difference doing what? You need to advise what you plan to use it for, otherwise it's like if asking whether a sports car is going to be noticeably faster than a family sedan - only if you actually drive it hard and fast, otherwise it's no faster, but cost you a lot more money. You can see that the difference between the hardware of the 5th and 6th gen iPad do create a noticeable synthetic benchmark in single core performance, but without knowing your use case, it's really hard to say which one is a better choice for your needs.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Noticeable speed difference doing what? You need to advise what you plan to use it for, otherwise it's like if asking whether a sports car is going to be noticeably faster than a family sedan - only if you actually drive it hard and fast, otherwise it's no faster, but cost you a lot more money. You can see that the difference between the hardware of the 5th and 6th gen iPad do create a noticeable synthetic benchmark in single core performance, but without knowing your use case, it's really hard to say which one is a better choice for your needs.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

Just social media, document editing. I just need the speed while navigating ios.

3 minutes ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Just social media, document editing. I just need the speed while navigating ios.

Then I'd personally go for the smokin' deal on a 5th gen if you can get one for almost less than half the cost of a 6th gen, assuming the capacity is the same.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

50 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The 5th Gen is plenty fast for basic tasks and even in some moderately demanding games.

Cool. I'll go for that. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Is that for used or new?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 10:02 PM, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

You can find ipad speed tests in youtube and will see that there is actually only very little difference in the speed. This is why I decided to buy a used Ipad pro (1st gen) instead of a 3rd gen one.

• 1 month later...

My 6th gen iPad tends to slow down, buffering for the simplest of things. It just stops loading things sometimes, refreshing doesn’t work, the AppStore is slow, very slow and doesn’t connect to the internet a lot of times.

It’s very disappointing. My Android LG works better, apps don’t work, including video apps like Netflix. This happens often and I have to turn off and on the WiFi to fix. 

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck

• 1 month later...

We're talking a dual core vs a quad core (2 big + 2 LITTLE), which also gets a very noticeable single-core performance bump.

5th gen:

Spoiler

7ifnZQ1.png

6th:

Spoiler

xtm5AVN.png

I'd pay the extra £45 for the extra performance and Pencil support, to be honest.