Did i make a mistake?

I think i mightve posted this in the wrong forum section so i am reposting here. 

So i was installing my Bykski waterblock for Radeon VII. I was trying to match the thermal pads directly on the waterblock as i saw on the stock cooler and i put them in the parts that are lower than the plate. I have seen video's and the normal cooler where they only have thermal pads on the parts thats higher... i dont really want to take apart my loop but i realize i might have to. I was going to transfer over to a new case thats better for watercooling. Can this issue damage the card and should i fix it asap? Or can it wait a little

bit and fix it once i move into different case?

If you have any pads that are not in place properly, you WILL damage them.(the chips) It's best to place the pads directly onto the chips instead of the cooling block. that way you know they're placed properly. I would not use your card if you think you didn't place any of the pads properly.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Just now, dj_ripcord said:

If you have any pads that are not in place properly, you WILL damage them. It's best to place the pads directly onto the chips instead of the cooling block. that way you know they're placed properly. I would not use your card if you think you didn't place any of the pads properly.

Damn i will have to disassemble my loop now lol. What a noob mistake. I didnt use any drain port either... is there any "easy" way you can think of, to take the card out and take it apart and fix this?

4 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

I think i mightve posted this in the wrong forum section so i am reposting here. 

So i was installing my Bykski waterblock for Radeon VII. I was trying to match the thermal pads directly on the waterblock as i saw on the stock cooler and i put them in the parts that are lower than the plate. I have seen video's and the normal cooler where they only have thermal pads on the parts thats higher... i dont really want to take apart my loop but i realize i might have to. I was going to transfer over to a new case thats better for watercooling. Can this issue damage the card and should i fix it asap? Or can it wait a little

bit and fix it once i move into different case?

There are some components that are very important to keep cool, and since there's 0 airflow on those components it's not recommended to leave them without a thermal pad.

Take it out and do it properly, better than regretting anything :)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

7 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

There are some components that are very important to keep cool, and since there's 0 airflow on those components it's not recommended to leave them without a thermal pad.

Take it out and do it properly, better than regretting anything :)

I didnt do a drain port.. :( lol

any advice on how i could drain it so i can take the gpu out and fix it without draining everything?

Just now, ChrisZH said:

any advice on how i could drain it so i can take the gpu out and fix it without draining everything?

How about you tell us where you put the thermal pads so we could tell you if it's alright or not, really don't understand what you missed or what video you watched, the video might be wrong who knows

1 minute ago, ChrisZH said:

3358-pcb-front.jpg

This is the reference PCB

4 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

3358-pcb-front.jpg

On the picture i attached. Do you see the little holes in the metal? I put the thermal pads in those little holes around the block. Sorry i dont have a picture outside of the bag

2663FAC1-58A7-48EF-A363-1FC2F6E2771F.jpeg

11 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

3358-pcb-front.jpg

I should have them on the parts that are raised right? Not the parts that are recessed into the board? This is my first time doing this.

Sounds like you only put pads on some of the components then.  The deeper slots are for the chokes and other raised chips, which do need the pads.  But for instance the thin raised rail along the side of one of the deeper sections also needs pads for the tiny chips there.

As dj_ripcord said, always put your pads on the components, not the block, that way you don't miss any and they're placed properly.

As to draining your loop.  Can you send a pic of what your loop looks like?  Hard to make a recommendation without knowing that information.  Hard tubing or soft tubing?

Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI Wifi   CPU: i9 9900k w/ EK Supremacy EVO cooling   RAM: 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL 14    GPU: EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 w/ EVGA Hydrocopper GPU Block cooling   Cooling: EK Coolstream XE 360 X2 | Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo | Thermaltake Riing 120 Static Pressure X6 - push on one rad pull on the other | Bitspower Matte Black Fittings | Bitspower Clear 16mm OD PETG pipe   Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 | Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM 3.5"   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 W 80+ Platinum   Sound: Sound Blaster X Katana   Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG   Display: Dual: ACER Predator Z1 | Samsung 32" secondary

@ChrisZH

2663FAC1-58A7-48EF-A363-1FC2F6E2771F.thumb.jpeg.286ec8eed0d9a7252912887d3ea9535a.jpeg.aad97454304add9394e266d0b831ac5a.jpeg3358-pcb-front.jpg.edc5286be0e7271e007677bb9c0142eb.jpg

This is where everything should be, basically all the raised parts on the WATERBLOCK, not the raised parts on the PCB/board

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

@ChrisZH

2663FAC1-58A7-48EF-A363-1FC2F6E2771F.thumb.jpeg.286ec8eed0d9a7252912887d3ea9535a.jpeg.aad97454304add9394e266d0b831ac5a.jpeg3358-pcb-front.jpg.edc5286be0e7271e007677bb9c0142eb.jpg

This is where everything should be, basically all the raised parts on the WATERBLOCK, not the raised parts on the PCB

So i should take the pads off the areas i put them and put them on the parts on the pcb and put them back together. Or should i keep the pads where i put them and add them to the other areas?

2 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

This is where everything should be, basically all the raised parts on the WATERBLOCK, not the raised parts on the PCB

Interesting...  This may be manufacturer specific?  Because my EVGA card and waterblock also put pads on some of the raised chips on the PCB, particularly chokes.

Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI Wifi   CPU: i9 9900k w/ EK Supremacy EVO cooling   RAM: 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL 14    GPU: EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 w/ EVGA Hydrocopper GPU Block cooling   Cooling: EK Coolstream XE 360 X2 | Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo | Thermaltake Riing 120 Static Pressure X6 - push on one rad pull on the other | Bitspower Matte Black Fittings | Bitspower Clear 16mm OD PETG pipe   Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 | Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM 3.5"   PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 W 80+ Platinum   Sound: Sound Blaster X Katana   Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG   Display: Dual: ACER Predator Z1 | Samsung 32" secondary

Just now, ChrisZH said:

So i should take the pads off the areas i put them and put them on the parts on the pcb and put them back together. Or should i keep the pads where i put them and add them to the other areas? 

The light gray squares on the PCB are called Chokes, and they do not need to be cooled, you can keep the pads on them if you want, but it won't affect anything, what you want to cool are the black chips which i showed above

1 minute ago, Salticid said:

Interesting...  This may be manufacturer specific?  Because my EVGA card and waterblock also put pads on some of the raised chips on the PCB, particularly chokes.

They can put pads on the chokes, but it really doesn't affect anything, but if they put the pads on the chokes and nothing else then that's bad

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

The light gray squares on the PCB are called Chokes, and they do not need to be cooled, you can keep the pads on them if you want, but it won't affect anything, what you want to cool are the black chips which i showed above

Ok, well atleast i have been busy with school and havent gamed on it lol. Looks like i got an adventure when i get home lol

3 minutes ago, Salticid said:

raised chips on the PCB, particularly chokes. 

also Chokes aren't chips, they're just a big hunk of Coil inside

220px-Common_mode_choke_2A_with_20mH_ind

Like this

This just makes me wish i put a drain port in lol

5 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

They can put pads on the chokes, but it really doesn't affect anything, but if they put the pads on the chokes and nothing else then that's bad

Thank you for explaining.  ? 

Yeah, no, there are pads on all the VRMs etc.  Just also the chokes.  In fact when I took off the stock air cooler, the chokes were coated in a really thick TIM... I was surprised.  It was a real pain to clean off for the water block too.

3 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

This just makes me wish i put a drain port in lol

5 minutes ago, Salticid said:

Thank you for explaining.  ? 

Yeah, no, there are pads on all the VRMs etc.  Just also the chokes.  In fact when I took of the stock air cooler, the chokes where coated in a really thick TIM... I was surprised.  It was a real pain to clean off for the water block too.

No clue why they would do that, the coil inside is isolated from the housing that's on the outside :D otherwise there will be a short circuit

4 minutes ago, Salticid said:

What i was thinking of doing is that the way my loop is set up, if i invert my 120mm radiator i have enough room to take my gpu out and set it on top of a box out of the case. I could then unscrew everything and fix it and put it back together without take the loop apart. Well thats if everything happens the way i see it in my mind. Otherwise i would have to take the tube off the fitting to my gpu and drain it that way until i can take it apart.

16 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

So before i even think of turning it on again, i need to put the pads on the right area, correct?

7 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

No clue why they would do that, the coil inside is isolated from the housing that's on the outside :D it's not touching the housing at all, otherwise there will be a short

Yeah, seems strange to me too knowing what you just explained.  But....20190323_143059.thumb.jpg.5c1679c579ce854e16b8c7c1515e5c58.jpg

Maybe EVGA just overdoes things....

Here's the cleaned card:

20190323_160018.thumb.jpg.38e1d0acb9aa57c6007281d55b1a028a.jpg

20190323_143105.jpg

3 minutes ago, ChrisZH said:

So before i even think of turning it on again, i need to put the pads on the right area, correct?

Nah you shouldn't worry about turning it on and doing day to day tasks or watching youtube and stuff, just don't stress the GPU with gaming or video rendering :) (don't stress the GPU in general)