Help me understand overclocking my i5 750 2.67 ghz to at least 4.0ghz

Go to solution Solved by dgsddfgdfhgs,
Just now, Red_The_Saviour said:

Dang looks like im gonna  need to buy a new one then :/

If I were you, I keep it as it is. you dont want to stress a 7yrs old pc like that, keep it cool and functionable .+/- 300mhz wont make any help

...unless you want an excuse to buy new pc...

the game shall still run on 750, then you could tell how much the cpu is left behind.

Edit: https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elite-7000-core-i5-750-2-66-ghz-4-gb-1-tb-vn889eaabe/

I think thats the whole specs of the pc? My dad just changed the video card and added more ram  tje processor is probably lga 1156 ? I also added a picture now thanks for all the replies :)

Hello! So I am really scared about overclocking my processor my dad somehow overclocked it to 3.2 ghz but i need at least 3.9 - 4.0 to play battlefield 5 lol so yeah can someone explain to me the risk it would have when i overclock it ? And is it safe? Is it too risky? Is it even possible? What are the requirements for me to lower the risks ( liquid cooling lol or liquid  nitrogen cooling lol) and yes ive watched and read a lot of videos about it already but im still not sire if i should do it :/ can someone help me ? And by help i mean by explaining it some more  

15540988455026349828917557948733.jpg

Edited by Red_The_Saviour

7 minutes ago, Red_The_Saviour said:

but i need at least 3.7 to play battlefield 5

How did you discern this exactly?

An i5 750 at 3.7GHz is going to struggle as much as it does at 3.2 in my opinion, a mere quad core and a very old one at that, the .5 GHz increase is about a 15% boost and you'll need a lot more than that for playable battlefield.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

How did you discern this exactly?

An i5 7450 at 3.7GHz is going to struggle as much as it does at 3.2 in my opinion, a mere quad core and a very old one at that, the .5 GHz increase is about a 15% boost and you'll need a lot more than that for playable battlefield.

Oh dear you are right... well 4.0 ghz im gonna push it lol

Oh dear you are right... well 4.0 ghz im gonna push it lol

4.0 GHz? And what motherboard and cooler is this being attempted with?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Monitor temps, don't go over ~1.5v, and get a fat cooler (air or water does NOT matter).  Not sure what temps are recommended for that CPU, but 70c-80c should be about as high as you want to see.

Just start raising the FSB in 10-20mhz increments to start.  Maybe set your memory timings manually and reduce its target speed so you are not overclocking the RAM too far.  Check for stability at each step.

You're gonna need to tell us a lot more to determine if your plan is even feasible.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

11 minutes ago, Red_The_Saviour said:

Is it too risky? Is it even possible? What are the requirements for me to lower the risks

you basically need "adequate" cooling & adjust core voltage for overclocking.

but a i5 750 is just a 4 core cpu, you will hardly see a difference in those games no matter what clocks. 

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

4.0 GHz? And what motherboard and cooler is this being attempted with?

Im not really sure but maybe its lga 1156? As far as i can remember  https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-elite-7000-core-i5-750-2-66-ghz-4-gb-1-tb-vn889eaabe/  this is the whole pc  i think it got all the specs in there also  my.dad changed the video card and added more rams 

Screenshot_20190401-140126_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Monitor temps, don't go over ~1.5v, and get a fat cooler (air or water does NOT matter).  Not sure what temps are recommended for that CPU, but 70c-80c should be about as high as you want to see.

Just start raising the FSB in 10-20mhz increments to start.  Maybe set your memory timings manually and reduce its target speed so you are not overclocking the RAM too far.  Check for stability at each step.

Thanks ! Ill keep that in mind

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Not happening.

You can, at most, boost the FSB a little with SoftFSB or some similar tool.  This would get you maybe into the ~3ghz range.

Damn  but i saw someone  on youtube with it on 4 ghz :/ how did they do it? 

14 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

you basically need "adequate" cooling & adjust core voltage for overclocking.

but a i5 750 is just a 4 core cpu, you will hardly see a difference in those games no matter what clocks. 

18 minutes ago, Red_The_Saviour said:

You have to be using a motherboard that allows you to set every CPU/Memory related voltage and timing manually to get much further.  With your system you are limited to stock vcore and stock memory timings.

5 minutes ago, Red_The_Saviour said:

they aren't working on a prebuilt's motherboard on the start.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

they aren't working on a prebuilt's motherboard on the start.

Ohhh explains why thanks!

If I were you, I keep it as it is. you dont want to stress a 7yrs old pc like that, keep it cool and functionable .+/- 300mhz wont make any help

the game shall still run on 750, then you could tell how much the cpu is left behind.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You have to be using a motherboard that allows you to set every CPU/Memory related voltage and timing manually to get much further.  Wit your system you are limited to stock vcore and stock memory timings.

Oh ! Thanks! Welp time to retire this one then!

Just now, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Yeah ... time to buy a new one thanks! 

1 minute ago, Red_The_Saviour said:

Yeah ... time to buy a new one thanks! 

New Ryzen CPUs soon, in case you haven't been keeping up to date. Worth waiting if you can.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Correct.  3.2ghz would be a nice place to put it if it does not need extra voltage or other tweaks.

Games "recommended specs" are just the minimum that they officially support.  You may need to reduce quality settings, and the game may not be smooth enough for you to be as competitive as people with newer rigs, but it should run.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Correct.  3.2ghz would be a nice place to put it if it does not need extra voltage or other tweaks.

Games "recommended specs" are just the minimum that they officially support.  You may need to reduce quality settings, and the game may not be smooth enough for you to be as competitive as people with newer rigs, but it should run.

It runs... like 30 fps and drops to 16 at explosions xD maybe after a year it will get optimized before i was running bf 1 and 30 fps and drops at 16 fps at launch too but 4 yrs after launch im playing it at 60 fps on all low while streaming and recording! 

It runs... like 30 fps and drops to 16 at explosions xD maybe after a year it will get optimized before i was running bf 1 and 30 fps and drops at 16 fps at launch too but 4 yrs after launch im playing it at 60 fps on all low while streaming and recording! 

What GPU?

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

GPU isnt helping, but it should not be that bad on that GPU with a better CPU.

I think that's the best gpu ? Or gtx 1050 ti that... that motherboard can support because it doesnt have the pins? For power supply