Is 550Watt enough?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

yes, 550 is plenty. See my rig in my signature for point of reference. however, what masterwatt is it? Maker, lite?

I know it's a stupid question but is the CoolerMaster Masterwatt 550 good enough for an Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce Xtreme and an i7 8700 (non K)?

yes, 550 is plenty. See my rig in my signature for point of reference. however, what masterwatt is it? Maker, lite?

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

yes, 550 is plenty. See my rig in my signature for point of reference.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It just says masterwatt

1 minute ago, ForLocks said:

It just says masterwatt

That's a decent unit then

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, ForLocks said:

So it'll be enough?

yes

Primary PC:

3 hours ago, ForLocks said:

I know it's a stupid question but is the CoolerMaster Masterwatt 550 good enough for an Aorus GTX 1080Ti Waterforce Xtreme and an i7 8700 (non K)?

No, because it has only one 8pin connector on the PSU Side.

THAT is the Problem.

And obviously the Semi Fanless shit. I rather have a constantly spinning fan and a second PCIe Connector on the PSU...

Otherwise it should work, though it will probably whine and screech and the Risk of the Connector burning is there...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, ForLocks said:

Nope, not really.

You really need a high quality 650W ideally given the real peak loads of the system etc. 550W too light really and the one you have really isn't exactly up to the task over the long term with the power draw. The higher end GTX 1080Ti's can pull well over 300W easy and the 8700 is really a 140W CPU, then the rest of the system. So worse case that would be around 500W just for the GPU and CPU alone, not including the rest of the system. Using the current PSU is putting your system at risk.

I would not recommend anything below Tier A on the list, ideally pick one from Tier A+ and 650W.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

51 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Nope, not really.

What's good enough for a VEGA64 Nitro+, should be enough for a 1080ti.

You really need a high quality 650W ideally given the real peak loads of the system etc.

No, that's not true.

But a better PSU is recommended, though not needed.

The HEC made units I have tested with VEGA seemed fine and to work without a Problem.

The old 600W GX V3 is still outstanding but the other three (GX-F; LX, Master Watt) are fine with VEGA, though LX and Master Watt screeching.

550W too light really

For Intel Overclock-Users maybe, but if you don't OC the CPU too much, its fine.

But he can't overclock the CPU! (much)...

1 hour ago, Ankerson said:

You really need a high quality 650W ideally given the real peak loads of the system etc. 550W too light really and the one you have really isn't exactly up to the task over the long term with the power draw. The higher end GTX 1080Ti's can pull well over 300W easy and the 8700 is really a 140W CPU, then the rest of the system. So worse case that would be around 500W just for the GPU and CPU alone, not including the rest of the system. Using the current PSU is putting your system at risk.

A locked i7 8700 + GTX 1080Ti isn't going to draw 500W.

Right now I'm folding with a GTX1080Ti running at 2000MHz core clock with the power limit set to 150%. Measured at the wall the system is pulling 365W (AC). Fired up Prime95 large FFTs on the i7 6700K and power usage went up to 430W (AC). So with both GPU and CPU being stressed heavily, more than what you would get in a more typical/realistic load like gaming, the system is still drawing under 400W (DC).
A wall meter obviously isn't going to pick up any short power spikes, but most decent PSUs should be able to handle that without any issue.

Until you start getting in to the territory of HEDT, or extremely power hungry graphics cards that have high power spikes (*cough* Vega *cough*) then decent 550W is usually fine for a single GPU system.

Though, I'd probably grab something other than the CoolerMaster Masterwatt. If you're powering a $800+ graphics card with an i7 8700 then you can do better than a $55 PSU.
As @Stefan Payne mentioned, preferably something with separate PCIe cables from the PSU since the 1080Ti is a high power draw card. So either a unit that comes with two individual PCIe connector cables (like the Whisper M), or a unit that has extra PCIe cables (4 total) so you can use two cables PSU side with just one connector off each cable plugged in to the GPU (usually starts with 650/750W models, so grabbing a higher wattage unit for the extra connectors might be worth it).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

57 minutes ago, Spotty said:

As @Stefan Payne mentioned, preferably something with separate PCIe cables from the PSU 

Naa, one would be fine if it was soldered/hard wired. 
Two connectors on one cable are fine, if they are soldered directly to the PCB of the PSU. 

And I'd be fine with the Master Watt 550W having no PCIe modular cable but a hard wired cable instead.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Until you start getting in to the territory of HEDT, or extremely power hungry graphics cards that have high power spikes (*cough* Vega *cough*) then decent 550W is usually fine for a single GPU system.

You need a crazily overclocked Intel System.

With Ryzen you just don't overclock much if at all.

But with VEGA I'm more in the 400-450W Range, even with +50% Power Limit I only come at around 535W or so...

Oh BTW I already have a system Im just upgrading