How to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 without data loss

urmumsbestpal

I want to upgrade to windows 10 but I dont want to lose my data

I was thinking on going on the drive that windows is installed (in my case Local Disc C)

If I move the program files to my other drive then disconnect the other drive only keeping the drive in which windows is installed connected to the motherboard then upgrade windows from that

will that technique work

windows update.PNG

9 minutes ago, jonlikesturtles said:

I want to upgrade to windows 10 but I dont want to lose my data

I was thinking on going on the drive that windows is installed (in my case Local Disc C)

If I move the program files to my other drive then disconnect the other drive only keeping the drive in which windows is installed connected to the motherboard then upgrade windows from that

will that technique work 

that's my recommended method when installing Windows(removing other drives), but why move Program Files? it has no personal files in there, and it's not recommended to overwrite Program Files folder after you do the upgrade, you want to look into the Users folder.

Also are you doing a clean install of Windows? you should

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

In fact, Windows upgrade is not that bad as people said. Basically there are lot of similarities, so upgrade process is in fact very easy. All important settings in registry remains, other will be changed, system files will be replaced and user files still will be there. There is always time to made clean install - if something wrong happens.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:47 PM, _Syn_ said:

that's my recommended method when installing Windows(removing other drives), but why move Program Files? it has no personal files in there, and it's not recommended to overwrite Program Files folder after you do the upgrade, you want to look into the Users folder.

Also are you doing a clean install of Windows? you should

I thought that the programs were installed in that file but i checked and they arent ????

thats y i wanted to move those files