H80i V2 + 9900K (NO OC)

Go to solution Solved by fabiosapplou,

If anyone is wondering, i did assemble the 9900K with the Corsair H80i V2 and it works fine.

Idle: 27 - 30ºC

Load: 69 - 78ºC

Ambient: 22.4ºC

NO OC DONE!

Hi guys, i'm doing a build on a Phanteks Evolv Shift Mini-ITX case, and i only have space for a single fan AIO, as i'm not planing on overclocking the 9900K, do you think these cooler will be ok to deal with it?

I expect it to run hot, but i would'd like to go above 75 or 80 ºC... The room temp is like 25ºC when i'm here. Tell me what you think honestly.

Thanks.

It'll be fine as long as you don't push the voltage too high. 

People talk as if 120mm's and most air coolers will ALWAYS = bad temps on the 9900K. They only think about the crazy high overclocks (5.1+ghz) and don't think about stepping the voltage (lead to clockspeed) down a little. Tiny decrease in performance, huge improvement in thermals. Which is why I believe that 360MM's and such are unnecessary for a 9900K, a good air cooler will do fine. 

1 hour ago, fabiosapplou said:

Hi guys, i'm doing a build on a Phanteks Evolv Shift Mini-ITX case, and i only have space for a single fan AIO, as i'm not planing on overclocking the 9900K, do you think these cooler will be ok to deal with it?

I expect it to run hot, but i would'd like to go above 75 or 80 ºC... The room temp is like 25ºC when i'm here. Tell me what you think honestly.

Thanks.

If you're not overclocking the 9900k then don't buy a 9900k. you're wasting it's potential for no reason.

2 hours ago, Benjeh said:

If you're not overclocking the 9900k then don't buy a 9900k. you're wasting it's potential for no reason.

I think i'm plenty capable of deciding that by myself. I didn't choose it just for the sake of it, besides, that was not even the question.

3 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

It'll be fine as long as you don't push the voltage too high. 

People talk as if 120mm's and most air coolers will ALWAYS = bad temps on the 9900K. They only think about the crazy high overclocks (5.1+ghz) and don't think about stepping the voltage (lead to clockspeed) down a little. Tiny decrease in performance, huge improvement in thermals. Which is why I believe that 360MM's and such are unnecessary for a 9900K, a good air cooler will do fine. 

Yes, i also think it will be just fine, bue it seems that everyone has something bad to say about the combination. I don't expect 50 or 60 ºC with it. But i think i should work as well. Thanks for the help.

6 minutes ago, fabiosapplou said:

I think i'm plenty capable of deciding that by myself. I didn't choose it just for the sake of it, besides, that was not even the question.

It's just a waste of money, its an unlocked chip, its for overclocking, you could get more suitable options rather than going for the.... you know what you're right. Go for it!

• 1 month later...

If anyone is wondering, i did assemble the 9900K with the Corsair H80i V2 and it works fine.

NO OC DONE!

11 hours ago, fabiosapplou said:

NO OC DONE!

congrats on wasting your money. 

On 3/29/2019 at 4:11 PM, fabiosapplou said:

Did you consider the non-k version of the chip i9-9900?

On 3/29/2019 at 4:18 PM, Benjeh said:

It's just a waste of money, its an unlocked chip, its for overclocking, you could get more suitable options rather than going for the.... you know what you're right. Go for it!

14 hours ago, Benjeh said:

congrats on wasting your money. 

:)

5 minutes ago, Blai5e said:

Did you consider the non-k version of the chip i9-9900?

:)

But then his E-Peen would of been smaller dude, he absolutely needed the K skew or no one would of taken him seriously....

22 hours ago, Benjeh said:

But then his E-Peen would of been smaller dude, he absolutely needed the K skew or no one would of taken him seriously....

Wrong, i wanted the K because i wanted the option of being able to overclock in the future when it starts go get older. Just that. And also, the Non K version is a lot more difficult to find, at least here.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2019 at 2:20 PM, fabiosapplou said:

Wrong, i wanted the K because i wanted the option of being able to overclock in the future when it starts go get older. Just that. And also, the Non K version is a lot more difficult to find, at least here.

Registered just to say I agree. It's very annoying when people assuming you don't know what you're doing and that you're buying an unlocked CPU just for the hell of it.

There's often a good deal floating around that minimizes the price difference between the 9900 and 9900K. Years later, when it's old, you can either overclock it yourself or sell it for a decent price -- demand for the 9900K will be greater than for its non-overclockable counterpart.

• 2 weeks later...

Got 9900k along with H80i V2 in push-pull configuration with fresh air coming from outside of the case. Idle temperatures seem to be 44-50C range.

Using Arctic MX-4 thermal paste and two noctua fans.

Not quire sure what the issue is at this point, but hope it is bad thermal paste (or application) and not issue with bowed in/out cpu like some on the internet post.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 1:06 AM, PancakeBimmer said:

Got 9900k along with H80i V2 in push-pull configuration with fresh air coming from outside of the case. Idle temperatures seem to be 44-50C range.

Using Arctic MX-4 thermal paste and two noctua fans.

Not quire sure what the issue is at this point, but hope it is bad thermal paste (or application) and not issue with bowed in/out cpu like some on the internet post.

I've been running my 9900K with the H80i V2 with noctua fans in a push pull config as well and idle temps hold at 30-33C. I put in some shims on the mount in order to get a better contact fit with the Arctic MX-4 thermal paste. I had to make an account because of the similarities to our setup. Perhaps reapply or order some new thermal compound. Either way, best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, fabiosapplou said:

NO OC DONE!

Decent temps. I think that the Phanteks case is a bit weird for a mini-itx but you cannot deny that it looks good. Btw I find it really annoying when ppl give advice on a different subject of what you asked for. GZ on your new build. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

Your 1st mistake is building in that case.  A few years ago I did an i7 8700K w/ a 120 AIO and a Hybrid GTX 1080 Ti with 120 AIO and it still was hot AF in there.  Not worth it 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

• 11 months later...
On 8/9/2019 at 9:45 PM, Jrasero said:

Your 1st mistake is building in that case.  A few years ago I did an i7 8700K w/ a 120 AIO and a Hybrid GTX 1080 Ti with 120 AIO and it still was hot AF in there.  Not worth it 

Mine is not hot at all, i believe it's quite acceptable in fact, i don't have an OC done, but i did took advantage of the K processor and undervolt it a bit, and now i'm running full load at 69C@amb22C

About the case i do in fact love it, and i would not change my decision on going with it.