New Home Network

Good Day,

I'm in the process of renovating my home, with the intention of renting it out as soon as I find a suitable tenant. I would like to install a hardwired Gigabit LAN network during this process. I intend on routing all 23 jacks to a Port Panel and Switch mounted together with the Router on a rack with a dedicated power supply. I would also like to run the single Phone Jack in my house to the 24th port of the Port Panel.

As I plan on renting the house out, I want to make it as idiot-proof as possible. For this I will connecting every port on the Port Panel to a corresponding port on the Switch. That way the Tenant never has to worry about moving wires around on the rack whenever they move a device between jacks upstairs. I am also leaning towards an unmanaged Switch at this time, with strong consideration for the TL-SG1024.

Are there better Switch options that the forum can recommend? I forsee no PoE needs, and with the internet being a 960mb/s fiber connection, I doubt I will need QoS. Is there any reason  why I would want to consider a Managed Switch in place of the Unmanaged Switch I have earmarked at this time? Is there a better Unmanaged Switch?

What is out there for Port Panels? I have no idea where to start with those, except that I want one that can support a single Phone Jack, and I want it to be easy to label. Learn me please.

Power Supply - Same as Port Panel. What are my options? Needs to be able to support up to five devices in case I decide to upgrade from a single combi Router to dedicated hardware for the Firewall, Modem, Wireless, etc.

And probably the easiest question, what are my options for a wall-mounted rack?

Lastly, I'd like the install to be clean. This will be installed in the Laundry Room, and so tenants will see it daily. I want it as professional looking as possible.

10 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Is there any reason  why I would want to consider a Managed Switch in place of the Unmanaged Switch

I always say if you need to ask if you need a managed switch, then you dont need a managed switch. It sounds like this is a flat home network. No need to over engineer.

11 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Are there better Switch options that the forum can recommend?

Not really. Unmanaged switches are fairly reliable and little difference between vendors. 

12 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

What is out there for Port Panels? I have no idea where to start with those, except that I want one that can support a single Phone Jack, and I want it to be easy to label. Learn me please.

First is RJ45 panels support RJ11 (phone jacks). RJ45 was just built around RJ11. You can use any patch panel you like. This is the one I will be getting but in 48 port

Amazon Trendnet 24port

For your phone line, run a standard Cat5e/6 cable and punch down ALL the pairs. Then just on the jack just punch down blue/white and blue. Done and in the future it can always be reused as a data jack.

17 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Power Supply - Same as Port Panel. What are my options?

APC rack power supplies. They are kind of the leader but most people buy the Tripplite 6 port AC plug and buy the APC battery bank with 2 AC outlets. That is the best of my knowledge. When it comes to battery backup all I know is multi thousand dollar models from work.

19 minutes ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

And probably the easiest question, what are my options for a wall-mounted rack?

Again, my option and many others is this:

Amazon Navepoint Cabinet - Looks neat, glass panel, cooling fans, lock and hold 135lbs (trust me, even small batter backups are fucking heavy)

This seems to be all out for a rented place. Good that you want to take care of your tenants. 

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This seems to be all out for a rented place. Good that you want to take care of your tenants. 

Thanks for your response. It is quite helpful!

I have to admit, my motives aren't really altruistic, the Tenants will just end up with some collateral benefits. I grew up in a very tech-oriented household, and this is something I haven't done yet. The house is being renovated anyway, so why not drop the dough on wiring it up for good? Hell, should I ever end up spawning parasites of my own and move back into the place, I'll get to benefit from it down the road.

One other question I forgot in my OP: Do I need to be concerned about interference when bundling cables together?

1 minute ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Thanks for your response. It is quite helpful!

I have to admit, my motives aren't really altruistic, the Tenants will just end up with some collateral benefits. I grew up in a very tech-oriented household, and this is something I haven't done yet. The house is being renovated anyway, so why not drop the dough on wiring it up for good? Hell, should I ever end up spawning parasites of my own and move back into the place, I'll get to benefit from it down the road.

One other question I forgot in my OP: Do I need to be concerned about interference when bundling cables together?

Nope. Just make sure it never run parallel to power lines. Even then interference is minimal.

If you have extra budget I would pick this up to. Amazon Cable Comb. This gives you the nice clean look when working with 24 bundles.