Linux on Mac

Ok, this is an odd forum post but.

I am kinda in love with my Mac but I am sometimes unhappy how closed the environment is and need to walk into the land of the free.

My friend introduced me to Linux and I was able to boot into it from an external drive on Mac (woah)

My issue is I own a MacBook Pro (2017 w/ touchbar) and when we ran Ubuntu you couldn't do anything we hypothesize its because it didn't have the drivers for anything. I am way dumb with linux so I would have no idea where to start. I am wondering if anyone here has done this before and knows what to do or has experience with similar ideas and can help me our or even point me in the correct direction.

I attached the specs for the MacBook Pro.

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.50.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.50.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.51.29 AM.png

1 minute ago, gutz00 said:

Ok, this is an odd forum post but.

I am kinda in love with my Mac but I am sometimes unhappy how closed the environment is and need to walk into the land of the free.

My friend introduced me to Linux and I was able to boot into it from an external drive on Mac (woah)

My issue is I own a MacBook Pro (2017 w/ touchbar) and when we ran Ubuntu you couldn't do anything we hypothesize its because it didn't have the drivers for anything. I am way dumb with linux so I would have no idea where to start. I am wondering if anyone here has done this before and knows what to do or has experience with similar ideas and can help me our or even point me in the correct direction.

I attached the specs for the MacBook Pro.

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.50.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.50.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 11.51.29 AM.png

MAC is based off Linux.  MAC doesn't allow you to go deep into your system like Windows does.  Its for dummys that cant use a real computer a PC.  Your not going to have good results trying to run on your MAC.  MAC hardware wants mac software.  A Linux distro has nothing to do with MAC.  MAC is based of Linux Im shure you can get free apps to allow you to go deeper in the OS and use command line switches and what not.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Oh and yes, I have a PC (actually two) at home, but their towers. My school is heavily Mac based and my MacBook Pro has become my daily driver. Its great for my AP Computer Science Class (Java), works pretty good for light video streaming, and moderate Lightroom, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro use.

16 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

MAC is based off Linux.  MAC doesn't allow you to go deep into your system like Windows does.  Its for dummys that cant use a real computer a PC.  Your not going to have good results trying to run on your MAC.  MAC hardware wants mac software.  A Linux distro has nothing to do with MAC.  MAC is based of Linux Im shure you can get free apps to allow you to go deeper in the OS and use command line switches and what not.

mac os x isn't linux, its running off darwin, but both are bsd based. Linux will normall run well on macs, ive done it many times, and basically everything works with little configuration.

17 minutes ago, gutz00 said:

Oh and yes, I have a PC (actually two) at home, but their towers. My school is heavily Mac based and my MacBook Pro has become my daily driver. Its great for my AP Computer Science Class (Java), works pretty good for light video streaming, and moderate Lightroom, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro use.

What doesn't work in ubuntu on this system? You may need a external drive to boot from, but everything should work.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What doesn't work in ubuntu on this system?

Yes, I actually use mint when I'm not in Windows 10, but since I'm on the road or at school a lot I want that capability to use a Linux Distro on my Mac for the more Linux-y think I'd want to do.

57 minutes ago, gutz00 said:

Yes, I actually use mint when I'm not in Windows 10, but since I'm on the road or at school a lot I want that capability to use a Linux Distro on my Mac for the more Linux-y think I'd want to do.

can you just run linux in a vm?

When you are running linux what hardware doesn't work?

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

When you are running linux what hardware doesn't work?

Trackpad (and technically touchbar but that doesn't matter)

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you just run linux in a vm?

I could, I seem to have issues with VMs especially if I use portable drives. I just like the idea of booting directly - reduces input lag and access the hardware directly. When I took intro to programing (3 years ago?) The school used a Virtual Box into Windows 7 for us to learn BASIC and I remember it just being a terrible experience. And I still see and help with issues today when they run into Windows 7 issues, many are because it's a VM and something isn't sitting right between the software and hardware (my hypothesis).

It's definitely a niche within a niche.

1 hour ago, gutz00 said:

Trackpad (and technically touchbar but that doesn't matter)

I could, I seem to have issues with VMs especially if I use portable drives. I just like the idea of booting directly - reduces input lag and access the hardware directly. When I took intro to programing (3 years ago?) The school used a Virtual Box into Windows 7 for us to learn BASIC and I remember it just being a terrible experience. And I still see and help with issues today when they run into Windows 7 issues, many are because it's a VM and something isn't sitting right between the software and hardware (my hypothesis).

Try . vm again, things have gotten better an there are lots of tweaks.

There really isn't drivers for that trackpad yet, best option is to get a mouse.