do germans really love their optical drives?

zassou

i was watching a kitguru video where leo the host says optical drive is a regional thing and germans lover their blu-ray drives.

personally i havent used one for ages and i always see them as an obsolete tech. and cases with 5.25" bay cutout is a major turn off for me.

v:

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

I'll admit to being part German although my Irish side predominates. However, I don't think it's just Germans who still use ODDs  I still use them for ripping music (I get better audio and tagging from ripping CDs) and movies (again, better quality and, by haunting the bargain tables, usually less expense), and, occasionally, listening or watching directly from disc, although I haven't written to a disc in years.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

55 minutes ago, zassou said:

i was watching a kitguru video where leo the host says optical drive is a regional thing and germans lover their blu-ray drives.

My family has 3 PCs and none has an optical drive. One friend has lots of blue ray movies but he uses the optical drive of his PS4. I am not aware of anyone that really cares about an optical drive.

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

...I am not aware of anyone that really cares about an optical drive.

Apparently, you didn't read my post just above yours. Several others here and on other forums have also stated they still use ODDs. The fact they are still available for sale also indicated there are people that still use them.

Granted, fewer people are using them but that doesn't mean no one uses them.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 hours ago, zassou said:

That comment alone tells me he isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

Jeannie

90% of what you read, see, and hear on the internet are 100% true. - Abraham Lincoln

Jeannie

I still use optical media. Yes it is obsolete tech. However it still has it's use. Particularly when transferring files onto other machines (particularly cleanup care packages for someone else's computer) I use a USB optical drive. I would never want a flash drive back after connecting it to some of these machines I see... Also useful if you give someone (particularly older individuals) photos you took of an event.

As for 5.25" bay slots... I like hot swap HDD bays so you'd be hard pressed to convince me they're not useful still...though I do agree that large optical disk readers that go in 5.25" slots are unnecessary since you can get a USB disk reader you can just toss in the drawer when you don't need it.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 hours ago, zassou said:

personally i havent used one for ages and i always see them as an obsolete tech. and cases with 5.25" bay cutout is a major turn off for me.

Its not so much Germans as older people or what we'd call "normies", who want their optical drives for various stuff. 

You need/want that to watch a movie for example. And some people do that from time to time.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Do Germans really love their optical drives?

Answer:  Ja, sicher!

everyone I know has one and we all use them simply because burning a CD/DVD is way faster than uploading it to a server. 

most stuff is still physical since digital downloads are just painfully slow when the fastest internet connection is 3Mbps

I'm not German btw just wanted to clarify it's a normal thing, a friend still has dial-up since he lives in a semi-rural area so I just burn him few discs with stuff whenever he needs something.

what if I told you floppies are still a thing? computers in factories, hospitals, banks, schools, etc still use them

I had to fix a pc for the railway control once and in the control room they have the big ass 5.25" drives that are used to load configurations into the computers that control the track switches, signaling, etc through a MAN

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

I still use optical media. Yes it is obsolete tech. However it still has it's use. Particularly when transferring files onto other machines (particularly cleanup care packages for someone else's computer) I use a USB optical drive. I would never want a flash drive back after connecting it to some of these machines I see... Also useful if you give someone (particularly older individuals) photos you took of an event.

As for 5.25" bay slots... I like hot swap HDD bays so you'd be hard pressed to convince me they're not useful still...though I do agree that large optical disk readers that go in 5.25" slots are unnecessary since you can get a USB disk reader you can just toss in the drawer when you don't need it.

I think it be a interesting to make a usb  c format or usb and Windows  format rectangle CD that is cheap and made out of materials that a cd is made out of or something similai,  something that is able to be disposable

7 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

...As for 5.25" bay slots... I like hot swap HDD bays so you'd be hard pressed to convince me they're not useful still...t

Yeah, 5.25" bays are so useless, I designed a computer case with 14 of them ?. All but three of them are already occupied and I haven't even finished bullding the computer yet.

I prefer using a bulit in ODD since I use one often enough, mostly for ripping, to not want to deal with the hassle of digging out a portable drive, hooking it up, finding a place to put it, then putting it away when I'm finished. Also, the built in ones are usually faster than the portables.

Jeannie