RTX 2060 or used GTX 1080

I'm building a 1440p 144hz pc. I wasn't sure which to buy the 2060 or used 1080. I know they're close in performance and I can usually find a 1080 in my area close in price. But one thing everybody criticizes the 2060 for is only having 6gb of ram. I don't care about Ray tracing and the most I would pay for a GPU is $400.

9 minutes ago, AllTattersNoBrains said:

I'm building a 1440p 144hz pc. I wasn't sure which to buy the 2060 or used 1080. I know they're close in performance and I can usually find a 1080 in my area close in price. But one thing everybody criticizes the 2060 for is only having 6gb of ram. I don't care about Ray tracing and the most I would pay for a GPU is $400.

Welcome to the forums! 144hz is ambitious at 1440p even for  the 1080 I heavily recommend grabbing the 1080 if you want to hit anywhere near that mark.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

You should get the 1080 then if youre okay with playing most of the AAA titles on low-medium for the 144hz, personally i would recommend a 1080ti.

What Cpu do you have btw?

I'd go 2060 so that you don't have to worry about used hardware. They perform basically the same. 1080 may be a touch faster, maybe 5%, but I'd take the newer hardware for that performance gap. BTW I own a 1080 so if anything I'm biased towards that. 

Edit: BTW I run my 1080 on a 1440p 144hz monitor. For the latest AAA games like Metro, SOTR, Division 2, ect I'm generally running high settings 60fps. In esports games like CSGO, Overwatch and LoL though I can crank it to max and easily get 144fps. If you're wanting to play at >60fps in AAA titles at 1440p you're really going to want more GPU. At around 100fps I'd recommend a 1080ti and 144fps you're legitimately gonna need a 2080ti.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

I am eyeing up a 1080 for 144hz 1440p gaming too. From my research it’s the ideal card if you don’t play current AAA titles.

I have no games bought after 2018 and no plans to buy any AAA titles.

I want to play Skyrim, CounterStrike and Rocket League etc. 

If current top titles come into the mix then you will sacrifice either detail or framerates. However with free sync or gsync I wouldn’t worry too much unless your really worried about low frame rates on high demand titles of today and tomorrow. If you are go for a 2070. 

I have found no reason to buy the 2060 yet and the 1660 confuse me even more. 

Either buy 1080 or 2070 for 1440p, depending on what games you play.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

15 hours ago, SoreRaito said:

You should get the 1080 then if youre okay with playing most of the AAA titles on low-medium for the 144hz, personally i would recommend a 1080ti.

What Cpu do you have btw?

I was going to get a ryzen 2600 and overclock it

Thanks for the responses. I was originally aiming for 120hz but the monitor I found was 144hz. So I figured I'd try for that. Would lowering it down to 120hz make any difference on the card. 

9 hours ago, AllTattersNoBrains said:

I was going to get a ryzen 2600 and overclock it

I sadly don't know much about the 2600 and how good it is for high refresh rates.

9 hours ago, AllTattersNoBrains said:

Thanks for the responses. I was originally aiming for 120hz but the monitor I found was 144hz. So I figured I'd try for that. Would lowering it down to 120hz make any difference on the card. 

if you are running the monitor on 144/120/100hz would not make a difference for the card, the GPU puts out the frames regardless to the monitor.

Does the Monitor have G/Free Sync on it ? and if free sync, is it supported with Nvidia GPU's?

If you are running the monitor on 144hz without G/Free sync and the gpu can only give 70-80 fps its gonna feel a bit choppy/laggy since the monitor wants to show you 144 frames but only gets 70-80.

2 hours ago, SoreRaito said:

I sadly don't know much about the 2600 and how good it is for high refresh rates.

if you are running the monitor on 144/120/100hz would not make a difference for the card, the GPU puts out the frames regardless to the monitor.

Does the Monitor have G/Free Sync on it ? and if free sync, is it supported with Nvidia GPU's?

If you are running the monitor on 144hz without G/Free sync and the gpu can only give 70-80 fps its gonna feel a bit choppy/laggy since the monitor wants to show you 144 frames but only gets 70-80.

Thank you. The monitor is Free sync with G sync compatibility. 

You are all set then. Make sure you are using displayport for Freesync or Gsync and enjoy the no tearing. A 1080 should land you around 100-120fps depending on the game and settings which looks great with gsync and freesync.

11 hours ago, AllTattersNoBrains said:

just get something with freesync or gsync and you'll be good to go...anything above 75FPS feel butter smooth on those.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

In order to hit 144hz on 1440p for latest triple AAA game the you should get a 1080ti or 2080(High-Ultra setting). 1080 will do fine with some tweak though if you can't afford the other two (Low-Medium).

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

I'd also look at getting a second hand 1080Ti if I were you.
RTX just isn't worth it's premium for the support it currently has and once it becomes more mainstream, we'll probably be on the RTX 4080 Ti or whatever they deicde to call it.

Also, we'll probably start to see more game engines support RTX features with 10 series cards a lot better, if the latest Crytek demo is any indication.