pc restarts after 10 seconds - fx8350 + gigabyte mobo

ok so i sold a fx8350 and 2 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobos to someone. the cpu was seated in the mobo i tested with when he got it.
i know it works cos i tested it and got a cinebench score 629

guy says he cant get it to work cos it just keeps restarting and sent me this video
https://imgur.com/GpZ00Yi

He says both the mobos work with his own cpu

Has it somehow broken on the way? or what can i tell him to try to make it work again?

Edit: seems he hasnt clamped the cpu cooler on properly - can that be the reason and or break the cpu? 

apparently he says he tried the cpu on both mobos and it supposedly doesnt work altho i dont got specifics of how it doesnt work in both so i can only assume its the same problem in both

Did he breadbox it first? It's possible he has a bad power or reset switch in his case causing the restart. Looks like he did breadbox it so that's out of the question.

If the cooler isn't clamped down properly it's possible the CPU could overheat and cause the restart. If he can in the 10 second window, see if he can get a quick temp reading in the BIOS just to be sure. Also make sure that RAM stick is in the #1 slot, check the mobo manual. Remove the graphics card and try to boot without it, also remove all SATA drives. Does he have a way to test his PSU or does he know for sure it works?

If i would be you, i said that it is ur problem now bcs you testet it before. Tbh, my only option is trying updating bios?

29 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

Edit: seems he hasnt clamped the cpu cooler on properly - can that be the reason and or break the cpu? 

You mean too hard on cpu?

Quote me so I can reply <3

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

Did he breadbox it first? It's possible he has a bad power or reset switch in his case causing the restart. Looks like he did breadbox it so that's out of the question.

If the cooler isn't clamped down properly it's possible the CPU could overheat and cause the restart. If he can in the 10 second window, see if he can get a quick temp reading in the BIOS just to be sure. Also make sure that RAM stick is in the #1 slot, check the mobo manual. Remove the graphics card and try to boot without it, also remove all SATA drives. Does he have a way to test his PSU or does he know for sure it works?

okay so, i also gave him a Amd phenom 2 x4 810 in a MSI 790FX-GD70 mobo
which he says works, so assuming he used the same hardware to test that mobo/cpu i dont think hes hardware is bad

i guess i can tell him to properly clamp the cpu cooler on? if it still doesnt start when its properly on i donno whats next.
I woulda thought just trying to start the cpu wouldnt cause enough heat for it to be a problem to not seat it properly. have seen linus start a pc into the bios while holding his finger on the cpu to see when it becomes too hot and it took a while so idk(?)

ill figure out what slot is ram slot 1 too i guess. 
idk what u mean by remove graphics card because there is no other way to get video to the monitor afaik?
guess ill also tell him to remove sata drives stuff

8 minutes ago, Gawron10001 said:

If i would be you, i said that it is ur problem now bcs you testet it before. Tbh, my only option is trying updating bios?

You mean too hard on cpu?

in the video you can see the cpu cooler isnt clamped on, its just loose put on it

Just seen this now and that you refunded, but tbh I would have said no go on that.  Sounds to me like he messed with it and broke it, then tried to play it off as your fault.

In your situation I would have said if you were providing support, he should have contacted you in the first instance to see if a fault could be diagnosed, not to rip it out and try again with another board.  Could have done any number of things to it in that space of time, including dropping and breaking the CPU.

As for the cooler causing the restart, aye that can definitely happen because it's not doing its job and cooling the CPU.  The CPU would get hot within seconds and shut down.  If it didn't, it would continue heating up and fry it.

Is he returning the CPU and m/b?  Might well be he tried overclocking it and basically murdered it or something along those lines.

M/Board: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X || Cooler: Wraith MAX || RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB || GPU: ASIS Strix Radeon Vega 56 || Storage: WD Black 500GB NVMe & 2TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD || Case: Sahara P35 RGB mid-tower || PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W

Art Tablets: UGEE 15.6" Graphics Monitor & XP-Pen 15.6" Display Tablet

IIRC those FX CPUs run hot to begin with so not having the heatsink on all the way is a very stupid thing for him to do. That alone would be enough to refuse the refund IMHO.

fair enough guys ty for the infos. will consider for next time but for now just didnt feel like messing around with it anymore. 

wasnt a big refund anyway