What do you store where?

SirGeneral
Go to solution Solved by Bearmann,
29 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you don't have much data to store to begin with and assuming you control all the data going onto the drive I don't see this as necessary.

Yes, but he is not starting with two new drives. He has a HDD, previously his C-drive, which is completely filled up. It likely has a lot of temp files and other cr@p on it which is not needed. I would clean it up to remove all those unnecessary files after I deleted Windows 10 from it and moved steam to the M.2 drive. (Oh, the link was just to make sure he did not accidentally remove his downloads while running storage sense. You may be able to omit downloads from being purged in the storage sense selections, so you may not need to change anything)

First hook up only the M.2 drive, add Windows 10 to it, then set it up as the boot drive in the UEFI. After that you can hook up the old HDD and move steam from it to your M.2 drive and remove Windows 10 from the HDD.

I'm going to get a 500gb M.2 drive because I literally only have 3gb on my 1tb HDD, but what do i do with the M.2?

should I have Win10 and music, documents and all that on the M.2 and leave steam on my HDD or vice versa?

heck.

I use my M.2. SSD for OS/some often played games, my SATA SSD purely for games storage, and HDD for images, music, videos, etc.

With 500 GB you can store a good amount of games, and your documents should mostly stay in a HDD.

A girl who loves to love.

Put Everything on your SSD, until it doesn't fit anymore crap

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

2 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

If you don't have much data to store to begin with and assuming you control all the data going onto the drive I don't see this as necessary.

29 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yes, but he is not starting with two new drives. He has a HDD, previously his C-drive, which is completely filled up. It likely has a lot of temp files and other cr@p on it which is not needed. I would clean it up to remove all those unnecessary files after I deleted Windows 10 from it and moved steam to the M.2 drive. (Oh, the link was just to make sure he did not accidentally remove his downloads while running storage sense. You may be able to omit downloads from being purged in the storage sense selections, so you may not need to change anything)

First hook up only the M.2 drive, add Windows 10 to it, then set it up as the boot drive in the UEFI. After that you can hook up the old HDD and move steam from it to your M.2 drive and remove Windows 10 from the HDD.

33 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Oops. I did intend the reply for you but for some reason I thought you were OP. My bad. ?