Is it true I need Windows 10 for a Stream PC?

I recently started streaming a couple weeks ago on my PS4 Pro. I've really been enjoying and am currently considering getting a Streaming PC so I can boost the quality of the stream a bit in regards to pixelation when moving, and overlays with bells and whistles etc. While researching a bit about streaming PCs, I heard that you need to have Windows 10 if you plan to stream.

I was just wondering if that's true or not, and if so, why? Is Windows 7 Home 64bit not good enough or something? Whats the difference?

Thank you!

I don't think you need a win10 PC for streaming, but I'd recommend getting one either way, since win7 has just about reached it's EOL, so you'll only be enjoying it for about a year before you'd have to upgrade anyways...

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

If you look at the Steam hardware survey it shows the breakdown of OS types used by Steam users;

Whilst the majority are Win10, there are still plenty of people using other versions. As per the above though, you're better off getting Win10 due to the ongoing support and updates (ignoring the possible complications that come with Win 10 updates haha).

steam os.jpg

Gaming Rig: Intel i5 8600k @ 5Ghz (-1 AVX) 1.325v - MSI Z370 Gaming M5 mobo - MSI GTX1070 Gaming 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2600MHz 4x8GB - CM ML240L RGB 240mm AIO - 240GB NVME, 480GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD - Corsair RM750x PSU - Silverstone PM02

Media Server: Intel G4400 - MSI Z270 Gaming Plus - 4GB RAM - 600GB WD Raptor - 10TB RAID5 - CM HAF932

Surface Pro 4: Intel i7 6650U - 8GB RAM - 256GB SSD

Dell Latitude E6530: Intel i7 3520M - 8GB DDR3 - Nvidia NVS 5200M 1GB - 300GB HDD

NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4TB 

So then there's no actual benefit from using Windows 10 vs Windows 7 when it comes to streaming? Like theres no hidden caps or things of that sort? I'm just trying to understand why some people have said Windows 10 was a must? I don't understand much about streaming and what not yet.

3 hours ago, VincentVolaju said:

So then there's no actual benefit from using Windows 10 vs Windows 7 when it comes to streaming? Like theres no hidden caps or things of that sort? I'm just trying to understand why some people have said Windows 10 was a must? I don't understand much about streaming and what not yet.

You will have greater support and compatibility using Windows 10. It's not a must, just a smart decision for the long-term.

Windows 10 is going to give you more future provability and like the answer above, you get support and compatibility

what you could do is  start with 7 and upgrade to 10 later

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

52 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

Windows 10 is going to give you more future provability and like the answer above, you get support and compatibility

what you could do is  start with 7 and upgrade to 10 later

I remember a while ago a friend said he was able to upgrade his windows from 8, to 10 for free. Is it still possible to do that? I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 on it. Is it possible to upgrade that to Windows 10 for free somehow?

12 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

I remember a while ago a friend said he was able to upgrade his windows from 8, to 10 for free. Is it still possible to do that? I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 on it. Is it possible to upgrade that to Windows 10 for free somehow?

yes as long as it is an official copy

Systems:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

2 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

yes as long as it is an official copy

I believe it is, it came with Windows 8.1 already installed on the laptop. However, I don't have a windows CD or anything like that to reformat with. In fact, I don't even think this laptop has a CD drive.

In Control Panel > System, at the bottom it says "Windows is activated" and under that there is a Product ID #. I'm guessing that's my windows key, so I'm assuming that means its an official copy, yea?

yep its official

Systems:

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

10 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

yep its official

Awesome, thank you. I just YouTubed real quick to see how to do it. It seems like you download something called a media creation tool, then just follow the steps / next to complete the upgrade. Is this the correct way I should do it?

If so, during the installation process it prompts you to choose if you want to save files or not. If I chose the "Nothing" option, would that be the same thing as doing a factory reset / format on this laptop? Or, should I first reformat this laptop, then upgrade to Windows 10 after I've reformated?

you have the right way 

No matter what upgrade you do, it will delete installed applications

If you choose to save files it will keep personal documents only (downloads videos pictures) if not, they will be deleted

Systems:

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

Windows 10 is by no means required to stream, I could use my Win7 laptop as an encoding system for my streams if I wanted to.

Windows 10 is recommended due to being a little nicer to use and because Windows 7 is officially EOL. In all honesty, as long as the operating system supports the hardware and software you're streaming with, it truly does not matter what OS you're running on a streaming PC.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys! I think I'll upgrade to Windows 10 since there doesn't seem to be any downsides and also because I don't have to pay for it. ty!