Replaceing a dead Mobo and CPU

Hi. Long time watcher first time poster. I'm usually pretty good with computers but I want to make sure everything goes ok. So this morning my CPU and motherboard died. Did the usual steps like trying the CPU in another computer and trying a CPU in the motherboard. Nothing. Updated bios/reflashed still nothing. Asus and Intel are going to replace them. I have a strix x99 and an Intel i7-6850k. Is there anything I should watch out for or should I be good just installing the new motherboard and cpu

2 minutes ago, Lunarlancer said:

Hi. Long time watcher first time poster. I'm usually pretty good with computers but I want to make sure everything goes ok. So this morning my CPU and motherboard died. Did the usual steps like trying the CPU in another computer and trying a CPU in the motherboard. Nothing. Updated bios/reflashed still nothing. Asus and Intel are going to replace them. I have a strix x99 and an Intel i7-6850k. Is there anything I should watch out for or should I be good just installing the new motherboard and cpu

What killed them?  The X99 platform isn't that old so it's probably not due to old age.  You should fix the issue that caused the death, before putting in new hardware. 

well a cpu and motherboard don't just both commit suicide together so I'd worry about your power supply or something else that actually caused them to fail

I checked the power supply records (as I log those it's an ax1500i) and don't see any spikes. Buy the looks of previous logs the vrms spiked the voltage and fried too. The system was purchased in 2017

I main just need to know if I need to do anything in the registry or pull the product key somehow

Oh also it died when only discord was on. So the system wasn't even working hard when it nerfed. Oh the ram and gpus still work. Everything else seems to still work

11 minutes ago, Lunarlancer said:

I main just need to know if I need to do anything in the registry or pull the product key somehow

If your pc had oem license  (you didn't purchase microsoft retail key) windows will deactivate and most likely you wont be able to activate it without a new license.

Assuming you haven't been running offline key got registered to your motherboard.Only retail key can be reactivated with another mobo.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

14 minutes ago, Lunarlancer said:

Yes you might have to have MS transfer your key.  I did that in the past with a MOBO upgrade.  

Just a heads up, if you don't quote or tag someone in your response, they won't know you posted.

1 minute ago, Xcoool said:

If your pc had oem license  (you didn't purchase microsoft retail key) windows will deactivate and most likely you wont be able to activate it without a new license.

Assuming you haven't been running offline key got registered to your motherboard.Only retail key can be reactivated with another mobo.

I purchased a key from memory express in Edmonton. It did say activated with digital license. It's the same one Linus uses

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Yes you might have to have MS transfer your key.  I did that in the past with a MOBO upgrade.  

Just a heads up, if you don't quote or tag someone in your response, they won't know you posted.

Sorry about that. But I should be able to just call Microsoft

1 minute ago, Lunarlancer said:

Sorry about that. But I should be able to just call Microsoft

If you still have the key number then you will probably just need to type it in if you get prompted to.  I had an preinstalled key on a prebuilt that I had to transfer and they did it for me over the phone.

That was a few years back though...

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

If you still have the key number then you will probably just need to type it in if you get prompted to.  I had an preinstalled key on a prebuilt that I had to transfer and they did it for me over the phone.

I uh kinda misplaced that and can't find it. However I did reinstall Windows last year and it worked without the key

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

@Lunarlancer Last year Microsoft started to tie keys into your Microsoft account.As stated previously it depends on key type,full retail key can be transferred after activation fail use troubleshooting and choose hardware change.However if you purchased those orange cards OEM license you wont be able to transfer it.

My PC --- CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x @ 4.3 || MoBo: Asus strix x470-F || RAM:32GB@3400mhz  4x8GB Corsair vegeance pro RGB || Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro AIO || GPU: Sapphire Rx5700 XT nitro+ || PSU: Corsair rm750i || Case: Thermaltake TG 31 RGB || SSD: 1x hp ex900 nvme 500gb 3x crusial mm500 1tb || Corsair M65 elite & Corsair platinum K95 || 2x Acer ed323 qura 1440p@144hz + Samsung c27fg70 1080@144hz.tb

Just now, Xcoool said:

@Lunarlancer Last year Microsoft started to tie keys into your Microsoft account.As stated previously it depends on key type,full retail key can be transferred after activation fail use troubleshooting and choose hardware change.However if you purchased those orange cards OEM license you wont be able to transfer it.

I didn't purchase one of those. So I should be all good on that front. Is there anything I should be worried about with secure boot though

6 hours ago, Lunarlancer said:

I didn't purchase one of those. So I should be all good on that front. Is there anything I should be worried about with secure boot though

Nothing to worry about.You log in as before and when prompted go through activation troubleshooting.Your windows should reactive and you are good to go.

31 minutes ago, Xcoool said:

Nothing to worry about.You log in as before and when prompted go through activation troubleshooting.Your windows should reactive and your good to go.

Perfect. Thank you