Distance between GPU and Radiator/fans.

Hey!

I have been planing my first build for a while, with the help of you guys.

My current build looks like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($147.79 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($181.92 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($110.84 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC GAMING Video Card  ($1193.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($91.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2366.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-10 04:14 EDT-0400

The problem I am facing is where to mount the radiator and fans. I simply love the Meshify C and would like to keep it if possible.

Options

1. Mount it on top. Seems like a good idea but from reading across LTT and PCPP, the Trident Z has a high profile which will make it almost impossible. 

I already own the memory by the way. This is why switching to a low profile ram makes it harder.

2. Mount it on front. According to my calculations, the maximum size for the GPU is 284. (315 base + 25 base fan) - 26 (aer p fan) - 30 (radiator).

The shortest 2080ti (not WC) is 267mm (ASUS DUAL) which leaves about 17mm (15 for EVGA) space between the GPU and the radiator (or fans, depends).

How much space do you really need between the radiator and the GPU? will it affect performance?

I have been reading about people removing the plastic web-like from the front panel, but I thought the plastic supposed to block dust coming into the fans. 

What do you think? Not sure there is a magic solution which is not replacing one of the parts, but I like them so much :)

Thanks!

I don’t see how high profile ram would interfere with your cooler placement?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

@Slottr 

I might got it wrong, since I didn't actually try it - just read what people experienced.

I guess since they are tall (=high profile. questioning my english now..) it will be hard to properly manage the pump?

Thanks mate!

There doesn't need to be any space.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, Leopard said:

@Slottr 

I might got it wrong, since I didn't actually try it - just read what people experienced.

I guess since they are tall (=high profile. questioning my english now..) it will be hard to properly manage the pump?

Thanks mate!

mount top

I have a Fractal Define C which internally is basically the same case as the Meshify AFAIK. I have a 34mm rad with 25mm fans and as you can see I wouldn't be able to fit high profile ram. You MB should have pretty identical ram positioning. IIRC you will have about 280mm clearance with a front rad. My card was 293mm but it got shorter when I put the waterblock on it.

case2.jpg

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

49 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I have a Fractal Define C which internally is basically the same case as the Meshify AFAIK. I have a 34mm rad with 25mm fans and as you can see I wouldn't be able to fit high profile ram. You MB should have pretty identical ram positioning. IIRC you will have about 280mm clearance with a front rad. My card was 293mm but it got shorter when I put the waterblock on it.

case2.jpg

Thanks.

The GPU I was thinking about is 267/269, so I am guessing it will be okay.

1 hour ago, _d0nut said:

mount top

Thanks!

You suggest mounting top since circulation is better? or since it will hurt the GPU performance being too close?

Just trying to understand reasoning and learn :)

12 hours ago, Leopard said:

Thanks!

You suggest mounting top since circulation is better? or since it will hurt the GPU performance being too close?

Just trying to understand reasoning and learn :)

if you mount front it’d have to be set to intake and you might not want to cool your gpu with warm air

15 hours ago, _d0nut said:

if you mount front it’d have to be set to intake and you might not want to cool your gpu with warm air

hey, thanks!

I was watching this video - 

which claims front mounted radiator with an open shroud GPU is actually cooler.

The case is not the same so it's probably a bit different.

4 minutes ago, Leopard said:

hey, thanks!

I was watching this video - 

which claims front mounted radiator with an open shroud GPU is actually cooler.

The case is not the same so it's probably a bit different.

i mean, if your gpu and cpu are both not running extremely hot doing a front rad wouldn’t affect much but it may increase temps by a few degrees 

2 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

i mean, if your gpu and cpu are both not running extremely hot doing a front rad wouldn’t affect much but it may increase temps by a few degrees 

I am gaming at 1440p 144hz, not sure how hot they will get :D

Thinking about another case but can't find anything as sweet as Meshify C.

Thanks a lot!!