8.1 screwed up, big time

MG2R
Go to solution Solved by MG2R,

Apparantly, Autodesk Inventor isn't compatible with 8.1 and causes the explorer.exe crashes even when not running. Uninstalled it for now. Will have to go back to 8, though, I need Inventor more than I need Spark.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-81-explorer-keeps/af8c567b-3f9b-4575-8d81-0ac4a68a8084

Thanks for your help, guys!

Alright, so I "upgraded" to Windows 8.1 after a couple of recommendations here. Needless to say, I made a huge error.

Everytime I try to open an explorer window by pressing Super+E or the pinned icon in my start bar or everytime I try to open file/folder/drive properties, explorer.exe crashes and restart.

I also get random stuttering and lag in games now.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Go back to 7 or 8.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Go back to 7 or 8.

yea

Try setting Unicode language in control panel language and region to English if it isn't set already. Also if your using steam try verifying game cache in game properties.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @4200 | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600 | GPU: Evga GTX 660 TI x2 SLI | Case: Corsair C70 | Storage: WD Black 1TB, Samsung 830 126GB SSD, Kingston V300 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850 | Display(s): ASUS 2ms 24inch 1920x1080 | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 13 | Mouse: Razer Naga 13 

I had Explorer.exe Crash When I pressed alt, but the basic restart solved that. But I'm not suggesting This a fix since You probably don't overlook that solution

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Alright, anyone else have a suggestion that doesn't involve a reinstall?

I'm perfectly happy with 8+startisback, but want to try out project spark, hence 8.1...

Well, I don't know how you would be able to fix that. Have you tried making another partition or something to do a clean install of 8.1 on to see if it's something with your software, not Windows or your hardware?

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Alright, so I "upgraded" to Windows 8.1 after a couple of recommendations here. Needless to say, I made a huge error.

Everytime I try to open an explorer window by pressing Super+E or the pinned icon in my start bar or everytime I try to open file/folder/drive properties, explorer.exe crashes and restart.

I also get random stuttering and lag in games now.

Anyone got a solution for this?

did you upgrade or do a fresh install i have never had a issue 

Is already set, but how would that affect explorer.exe crashing?

Wouldn't fix explorer.exe, but has fixed crashes and stuttering in games for people using 8.1

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @4200 | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | RAM: 8gb Crucial Ballistix @1600 | GPU: Evga GTX 660 TI x2 SLI | Case: Corsair C70 | Storage: WD Black 1TB, Samsung 830 126GB SSD, Kingston V300 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX850 | Display(s): ASUS 2ms 24inch 1920x1080 | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 13 | Mouse: Razer Naga 13 

Didi you update StatIsBack to StartIsBack+? I had this problem until I updated.

Uninstalled startisback for 8 and installed startisback for 8.1

Should I have done something else?

Well, I don't know how you would be able to fix that. Have you tried making another partition or something to do a clean install of 8.1 on to see if it's something with your software, not Windows or your hardware?

Again, not going to clean install, unfortunately don't have the time to spare.

did you upgrade or do a fresh install i have never had a issue 

Just went into the store and clicked on 'Upgrade to 8.1'

I don't have this problem at all and don't know how to fix it but Windows 8.1 works perfectly fine for me.

I don't get the hate from all the AMFG W7 IS BETTA commenters.

Did you uninstall all your security software before the upgrade process?

Did you ever use a register cleaner at some point in Windows 8?

Did you use any tweak software? (Any software that could have potentially replaced or modified a system file)

The above are the common things that screws up a Windows upgrade process such a Service Pack install, or an Windows OS upgrade.

If you have, I am afraid the only fix is a full re-install of Windows 8 than upgrade to 8.1 after Windows updates are installed and drivers, of course.

If not,

As things are more GPU rendered than before, do you have the latest GPU drivers?

Alright, anyone else have a suggestion that doesn't involve a reinstall?

I'm perfectly happy with 8+startisback, but want to try out project spark, hence 8.1...

Updated for the same reason, everything works, except for Spark...

Do you use CCleaner or similar? I hear that causes issues, though I never had it myself. If it's a registry error there may be hope to fix it

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

Did you uninstall all your security software before the upgrade process?

Did you ever use a register cleaner at some point in Windows 8?

Did you use any tweak software? (Any software that could have potentially replaced or modified a system file)

The above are the common things that screws up a Windows upgrade process such a Service Pack install, or an Windows OS upgrade.

If you have, I am afraid the only fix is a full re-install of Windows 8 than upgrade to 8.1 after Windows updates are installed and drivers, of course.

If not,

As things are more GPU rendered than before, do you have the latest GPU drivers?

I have AVG as antivirus. It wasn't turned of because Windows didn't give any hint that it might cause problems.

For the rest no registry cleaners or tweaking software.

Just noticed GeForce Experience isn't running, I'll check my drivers.

EDIT: drivers are up to date.

EDIT2: GeForce Experience derped out. Downloading driver update. Don't think it'll help the explorer.exe mess, though.

Microsoft highly recommends to uninstall your security software before upgrading Windows.

This is because the programs like anti-virus, might block the upgrade process entirely or of some files, which results in the mess you are in.

Microsoft has a notification system with a set of API (for security software makers only), to be notified about such process, but most don't have it implemented (I don't know if its because they prefer not to, or it's specif to Window s8, so they don't bother, or simply don't care, like game dev that dump all their trash and your saved games in "My Documents" instead of using the appropriate directories (Saved Games, Temp, AppData, etc.))

Apparantly, GeForce Experience crashes as well -_-

This is looking more and more like a reinstall. Just the thing I need during exams.

What programs/processes are running before explorer.exe crashes? It's probably one process that is causing it to crash, trial and error by ending a 3rd party process one at a time until explorer stops crashing. It's most likely a antivirus program.

Apparantly, Autodesk Inventor isn't compatible with 8.1 and causes the explorer.exe crashes even when not running. Uninstalled it for now. Will have to go back to 8, though, I need Inventor more than I need Spark.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-81-explorer-keeps/af8c567b-3f9b-4575-8d81-0ac4a68a8084

Thanks for your help, guys!

Wow, that is strange... why would it interfere with explorer, especially when it is not running. I wonder what it installs, and why would it touch anything in explorer.

Wow, that is strange... why would it interfere with explorer, especially when it is not running. I wonder what it installs, and why would it touch anything in explorer.

I have no idea. I only know that it apparantly is an issue with every version of Inventor after 2011 (maybe even earlier, idk). I also know that I have been running Inventor 2011 ever since 2011 on 7 and 8 without any flaws. Guessing the bug is in 8.1 rather than Inventor.

Hopefully Windows 8.1 Update 1 that is coming up, will have that fixed.

(or a patch in Inventor... assuming you have people complaining to them about this issue, which I doubt)

If you're using Autodesk 2014 software, it looks like installing "Service Pack 1" provided by Autodesk will get both the software and Windows 8.1 working again.

Looks like it only works with 2014 though, earlier than that = out of luck for now