8 -> 8.1... doubts

MG2R
Go to solution Solved by Hazy125,

Firstly, here is a list. Just looking at it myself, it covers almost everything, not in excellent detail, but it tells you a small amount about the skydrive 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/159803-windows-8-1-a-complete-list-of-changes-and-new-features

As far as I'm aware, startisback is fully compatible with both windows 8 and 8.1, failing that, the shell(Or whatever it is, the free one) definitely works just swimmingly. The only prominent and continuous problem I've come across about the upgrade is the sound issues which can be fixed by reverting sound drivers back to the previous version.

EDIT: Ha, this is the list I was looking for http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn140266.aspx

EDIT 2: Just a little hurr durr

My Windows 8 machine has been bugging me a lot to upgrade to 8.1. I've always denied their spam up until now as I saw no need for the upgrade. Now, with project Spark (video at the end of post), I actually see a pretty good reason to upgrade.

My question is: what will change? I'm a bit concerned about the whole 'deeper skydrive integration' (I'm a tad paranoid when it comes to my data). So, is there anyone that has a complete list of the changes I'll notice (especially privacy related issues). I'm an avid user of startisback, will this propose compatibility issues?

Also, I can't afford downtime on my PC at the moment. I've heard some horror stories about the upgrade. Any tips about that?

Please keep the "hurr durr use 7" chatter to the minimum and make on-topic posts, thanks!

I've been using Windows 8 for a while and now 8.1, it's really stable. 

The gaming is optimal, every game just works. it's all clean and fixed and I'm using it on a desktop, all cool and there's no reason to not upgrade.

Go for it :-)

Firstly, here is a list. Just looking at it myself, it covers almost everything, not in excellent detail, but it tells you a small amount about the skydrive 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/159803-windows-8-1-a-complete-list-of-changes-and-new-features

As far as I'm aware, startisback is fully compatible with both windows 8 and 8.1, failing that, the shell(Or whatever it is, the free one) definitely works just swimmingly. The only prominent and continuous problem I've come across about the upgrade is the sound issues which can be fixed by reverting sound drivers back to the previous version.

EDIT: Ha, this is the list I was looking for http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn140266.aspx

EDIT 2: Just a little hurr durr

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

My Windows 8 machine has been bugging me a lot to upgrade to 8.1. I've always denied their spam up until now as I saw no need for the upgrade. Now, with project Spark (video at the end of post), I actually see a pretty good reason to upgrade.

My question is: what will change? I'm a bit concerned about the whole 'deeper skydrive integration' (I'm a tad paranoid when it comes to my data). So, is there anyone that has a complete list of the changes I'll notice (especially privacy related issues). I'm an avid user of startisback, will this propose compatibility issues?

Also, I can't afford downtime on my PC at the moment. I've heard some horror stories about the upgrade. Any tips about that?

Please keep the "hurr durr use 7" chatter to the minimum and make on-topic posts, thanks!

My only heads up is that I had to download a lot of 8.1 drivers for things (from motherboard manufacturer's website for example) for them to perform optimally. :)

Other than that I think you'll be fine ^_^

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Don't worry about the deeper Skydrive integration much, you can safely ignore it. However they have removed a couple of features that not many people use because of the push for Skydrive which really annoys me. It shouldn't be a problem for most though.

Don't worry about the deeper Skydrive integration much, you can safely ignore it. However they have removed a couple of features that not many people use because of the push for Skydrive which really annoys me. It shouldn't be a problem for most though.

what features are you talking about?

I can really only pinpoint one off the top of my head, but its Windows Easy Transfer. It doesn't work as it used to anymore.

As I write I can think of another one, right-click on the Wireless network list when you want to connect to a network. You have to go through modern PC Settings to change the equivalent settings.