Holes for water cooling fittings

Hey guys,

I know I am pestering you with questions, but I just want to make absolutely sure that I don't screw up since it's my very first time I do custom water looping.

I am building my own custom water reservoir and I am at the point of drilling holes in one of its walls and I am wondering what size the holes should be: everywhere I see that 11.8mm is the standard, but I have a drill step bit that only does either 11 or 12mm. Would either of them be ok too or does it really listen that narrowly? Thanks!

Gr,

John

My new current system:

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | RAM: G-Skill Trident Royal 32gHz @ 3600 mHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC | SoundCard: SoundblasterX AE5 white pure| Storage: Toshiba 3TB; Seagate 2TB; WD Blue 4TB; Seagate 8TB Samsung EVO 980 500 GB PCIe 4 NVME; Sabrent 500GB PCIe 4 NVME x 2 | Case: Thermaltake the Tower 900 | Monitor: Toshiba HD 32"; Dell 24"; 7" hardware monitor LCD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Propellors: Thermaltake Riing plus 12 x 8; Thermaltake Riing plus 14 x 3; Thermaltake Riing sync 12 x 2 and 5 other propellors for a push-pull config on a 360 and 480 rad | Cooling and remaining stuff: dual custom loop with a) one EK D5 Revo pump and b) one EK D5 Quantum Inertia pump.

the 12mm might work, but I wouldn't be entirely sure. The fittings need to mount securely so you don't spring a leak. 

Undersize is better than over size as u can always drill it out some more.

That said taping it from the intended 1.1mm thread depth (11.8 tapped to 12.9) to 1.9mm(11mm to 12.9mm) might not be doable. 0.9mm would (12mm to 12.9mm).

I would try 11mm 1st and see if u can even get the tap to start, if not go in again and open it up to 12mm.

or Just be safe and buy a 11.8mm bit :P

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Thanks guys - I will buy a 11.8mm bit - will use my existing step bit to drill to 11 and the new one to enlarge to 11.8mm, else my acrylic will crack :)

NB: as nothing is cheap in water cooling, it seems, this drill bit of course the most expensive of all. Except when you order them from China, which means that when I order them today, maybe I will have them by the end of the summer. 

My new current system:

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | RAM: G-Skill Trident Royal 32gHz @ 3600 mHz | GPU: Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC | SoundCard: SoundblasterX AE5 white pure| Storage: Toshiba 3TB; Seagate 2TB; WD Blue 4TB; Seagate 8TB Samsung EVO 980 500 GB PCIe 4 NVME; Sabrent 500GB PCIe 4 NVME x 2 | Case: Thermaltake the Tower 900 | Monitor: Toshiba HD 32"; Dell 24"; 7" hardware monitor LCD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Propellors: Thermaltake Riing plus 12 x 8; Thermaltake Riing plus 14 x 3; Thermaltake Riing sync 12 x 2 and 5 other propellors for a push-pull config on a 360 and 480 rad | Cooling and remaining stuff: dual custom loop with a) one EK D5 Revo pump and b) one EK D5 Quantum Inertia pump.

21 hours ago, Jojobaplant said:

Thanks guys - I will buy a 11.8mm bit - will use my existing step bit to drill to 11 and the new one to enlarge to 11.8mm, else my acrylic will crack :)

NB: as nothing is cheap in water cooling, it seems, this drill bit of course the most expensive of all. Except when you order them from China, which means that when I order them today, maybe I will have them by the end of the summer. 

the thread size is G1/4" and 11.8mm drill bit to make the hole is correct.