Windows 8 Hate Train - Is it really necessary?

Henry

99% of the comments I see hating on Windows 8, is about the Start Screen and the lack of start menu.

Do people realize you can bring back the start menu, and disable start screen completely? I mean, if you're on a tech forum, you should at least know that :P

Example: http://startisback.com/

Also, you can boot directly to the desktop and skip the start screen with WIndows 8.1 if you turn on that feature. And you can disable charms without downloading anything by turning them off http://mywindows8.org/disable-charms-bar-in-windows-8-1/

StartIsBack is the BEST "real start menu" I have seen. There are many ones just like it that are free, but this is the one that first comes to mind.

Here is Logan's video on StartIsBack and its features

"Wait, so why don't I just use Windows 7?" - You get like 10x faster boot time, and just overall a faster, better Windows.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I'm glad the start menu is gone

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

It's completely unnecessary. I love Windows 8(.1) more than 7. It is more useful, brings performance improvements and overall is a better experience from my point of view.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Shouldn't need to install 3rd party software to make an OS bearable, Windows 8 is a disgrace.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

You shouldn't have to use a 3rd party program to get optimal usage out of a 200$ operating system...

"The internet is a series of tubes"

Windows 8.1 has been a great experience for me. I totally second this thread!

Shouldn't need to install 3rd party software to make an OS bearable, Windows 8 is a disgrace.

Ok thats alittle too much of an overexaggeration.

Even with Windows 8.1, you can disable Windows booting into start screen.

You shouldn't have to use a 3rd party program to get optimal usage out of a 200$ operating system...

You don't have to. I haven't and it has been fine for me. Plus you are getting faster startup speeds and just faster speeds overall.

Ok thats alittle too much of an overexaggeration.

Even with Windows 8.1, you can disable Windows booting into start screen.

There is still no way to disable all the touch screen bullshit, like stuff popping up when you move your cursor to the corner ect, and the default programs like the photo viewer, music player ect are the worst ever, why is everything fullscreen?

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

You don't have to. I haven't and it has been fine for me. Plus you are getting faster startup speeds and just faster speeds overall.

The start menu helps me navigate more easily, why not just include it and have toggle. It wouldn't be hard at all, but Microsoft are so set on the touch interface that they cant see what the majority wants. 

"The internet is a series of tubes"

There is still no way to disable all the touch screen bullshit, like stuff popping up when you move your cursor to the corner ect, and the default programs like the photo viewer, music player ect are the worst ever, why is everything fullscreen?

Actually you can disable charms.

http://mywindows8.org/disable-charms-bar-in-windows-8-1/

One of the main problems for me is it's a pain to get unsigned drivers for AVRs to work with 8 that and I don't personally like metro but I like everything else about 8.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

One of the main problems for me is it's a pain to get unsigned drivers for AVRs to work with 8 that and I don't personal like metro but I like everything else about 8.

AVRs?

Well you can disable start screen if thats the problem. If you miss Aeroglass from Windows 7, you can get that back, just Google it.

My problems with Windows 8:

1. No Start Menu

2. No Shadow Copy

3. Screwed up way to get into safe mode

4. Unable to install not signed drivers without test mode.

Other then that, I think Windows 8 is more optimised and less heavy on the system than 7.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

There is so much you need to do to get it working as it should on a desktop, installing 3rd party programs, changing every single default program and downloading your own, changing all the settings and disabling a ton of stuff, if im going to buy an OS it's not going to be one that's designed for a tablet, and takes a ton effort to get it working properly on a desktop.

AVRs?

Well you can disable start screen if thats the problem. If you miss Aeroglass from Windows 7, you can get that back, just Google it.

AVR=Microcontrollers. I want it completely gone not this it still boots it but you don't see it crap.

My problems with Windows 8:

Theres nothing there....

I see what u did there :P

The way I look at is whether you like it or not, a lot of companies are going to build they're games, programs, etc. around the newest operating system. So in my opinion people need to stop complaining and suck it up because either way, these companies aren't going to optimize they're products for old software just because people "don't like the touch integration" they are going to develop for the software they can get the best performance out of.

Not taking windows 8 for what it is will just set you back rather than give you the advantages of using a better optimized operating system.

AVR=Microcontrollers. I want it completely gone not this it still boots it but you don't see it crap.

I am confused. The start screen is what you hate right?

Yeah, u can disable it. Like actually disable it.

I can see how people get confused with Windows 8. Then again people get confused tying their shoe laces. I really didn't have a problem with it. First thing I did was to install a 3rd party menu. Silly and I really shouldn't have to but it took the better part of... I dunno... 2 minutes. I really like the improvements they brought to the table in terms of performance.  On top of that, I bought it on special from the MS site. It cost me $30. Bargain.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

but, but, butt, I like my start menu :(

Quite honestly my general response for that is to take your start menu and stick it :P

The functionality of the start menu is still in Windows 8 except the way it's implemented I like more because it's functional beyond belief.

I am confused. The start screen is what you hate right?

Yeah, u can disable it. Like actually disable it.

Idk what there calling metro now but this

1373.image_5F00_0005022C.png

Idk what there calling metro now but this

1373.image_5F00_0005022C.png

That is the start screen. You can boot directly into desktop and make Windows skip booting into that.

Also, you can disable it completely. Google it :P (I think StartIsBack can do it)