Is a Ram Bottleneck Possible?

Specs:

GPU- Sapphire RX 580 4gb (new)

CPU- FX-8350 (new)

Mobo- MSI 990FXA Gaming Motherboard (2 years old)

RAM-  2 Sticks 16gb Crucial Ballistx (at least 3 years old)

HDD- 1 TB Wester Digital Blue (2 years old)

SSD- 128gb Samsung EVO (new)

PSU- Corsair CX750M (1 year old)

I’ve been having issues for awhile now, with a massive bottleneck on my computer. I recently got a new GPU because my RX380 died on me. After i got the rx580, i was having issues with game speeds, and using a Bottleneck calculator, decided i needed a new CPU. Hense the FX-8350. But now that i still have the issue, i’m not sure what it is.

I thought “maybe it was drivers”, but i’ve undownloaded and redownloades my drivers more than i can count on one hand, and i still had issues.

I ran a cinnabench test and my scores were massively underperforming. With my GPU at 25fps on OpenGL, and my CPU at 158cb on the rendering benchmark.

So I decided to switch the slots in to test for potentially a bad RAM slot, but i had no luck.

Ive run my patience to the bone, and i’m not very keen on investing money into new Ram just for it to be a motherboard problem. Please give me advice.

Most likely the FX-8350 Open task manager when you're gaming and check your CPU usage, if it is maxed out (it probably is) than thats the weakest part.  Remeber those generation of CPU's came out in like 2011, 8 years ago, they didn't have great IPC then, and they sure as heck don't hold up to modern systems.

CPU Bottleneck is what you're experiencing.

Personal Computer Build:

CPU: i7-4790k | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 16GB G. Skill | Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce Gtx 1070 TI Founders Edition | Case: Corsair 750D | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / Western Digital Black 1TB / Western Digital Blue 1TB | Power Supply: EVGA 750watt SuperNova Gold Rated | Displays: 3 VG248QE 24" 144hz, 1MS | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | Keyboard: Razer Chroma BlackWidow

2 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

Most likely the FX-8350 Open task manager when you're gaming and check your CPU usage, if it is maxed out (it probably is) than thats the weakest part.  Remeber those generation of CPU's cam out in like 2011, 8 years ago, they didn't have great IPC then, and they sure as heck don't hold up to modern systems.

the fx8350 is brand new, it’s been running for 1 hour at the max, and i put my cpu and gpu into a bottleneck calculator, and it said there was only a 0.15% bottleneck.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

The FX-8350 is an underpowered CPU compared to today's processors, so it's likely still the bottleneck here.

is there an FX series cpu you recommend?

2 minutes ago, XxTheTitanxX said:

the fx8350 is brand new, it’s been running for 1 hour at the max, and i put my cpu and gpu into a bottleneck calculator, and it said there was only a 0.15% bottleneck.

Just now, XxTheTitanxX said:

is there an FX series cpu you recommend?

The problem is that it's an old architecture with fundamental design issues, all of the CPU's that you can just drop into that board are the same in that regard, better to quit trying band-aid solutions and save up to upgrade to something more modern

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

5 minutes ago, XxTheTitanxX said:

the fx8350 is brand new, it’s been running for 1 hour at the max

How long it's been used won't affect the speed.  The 8350 was released in October 2012, so it's a 6 year old CPU.  That's going to have a hard time dealing with modern games and modern GPUs.

Also don't trust bottleneck calculators.  Some things are more CPU-intensive, others will be GPU-intensive.  Someone may have a CPU bottleneck in one game but a GPU bottleneck in another. 

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

How long it's been used won't affect the speed.  The 8350 was released in October 2012, so it's a 6 year old CPU.

Also don't trust bottleneck calculators.  Some things are more CPU-intensive, others will be GPU-intensive.  Someone may have a CPU bottleneck in one game but a GPU bottleneck in another.

then again, purchasing a new CPU, MOBO, and DDR4 ram will be well over 300 dollars. So should I return my CPU and start saving?

Buying FX 8350 is a crime in 2019.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Buying FX 8350 is a crime in 2019.

well investing 340 dollars into my

computer really isn’t in my budget, and considering i don’t have a job right now it’s definitely not in my budget.

19 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

Most likely the FX-8350 Open task manager when you're gaming and check your CPU usage, if it is maxed out (it probably is) than thats the weakest part.  Remeber those generation of CPU's came out in like 2011, 8 years ago, they didn't have great IPC then, and they sure as heck don't hold up to modern systems.

It's not just overall usage - some games rely on strong single core performance and this is usually where the FX falls on it's face.

It might report only 30% load but the game is hammering one core and getting hampered by it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 minutes ago, XxTheTitanxX said:

then again, purchasing a new CPU, MOBO, and DDR4 ram will be well over 300 dollars. So should I return my CPU and start saving?

If you upgrade, you can sell the old motherboard and RAM to offset some of the cost. 

Not sure how much, you'd have to look on Ebay to find the right price.  Look for completed listings, as that gives you the price that people actually pay for them instead of what sellers ask for them.

If you can save up that amount of money in a reasonable time and are willing to use whatever your old setup was until you can afford the upgrade, then by all means return it. That's a choice you have to make for yourself, I don't know your financials and how you feel about suffering for a while to get a better performance afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

If you upgrade, you can sell the old motherboard and RAM to offset some of the cost. 

Not sure how much, you'd have to look on Ebay to find the right price.  Look for completed listings, as that gives you the price that people actually pay for them instead of what sellers ask for them.

If you can save up that amount of money in a reasonable timeframe and are willing to in the meantime use whatever your old setup was, then by all means return it. 

That's a choice you have to make for yourself, I don't know your financials and how you feel about suffering for a while to get a better performance afterwards.

thank you i’ll look into it

before upgrading you should fix your current set up and try it out, to see if the performance it gives satisfies you. 

There is no way in hell an 8350 should score 158 cb at cinebench r15. I think your cpu should score around the 500's 

Ahhh, Yes, I've had a similar issue with my i3 2100/GTX 460 system. Got home from work, hopped onto World of Tanks, BIG lagging mess. Reboot, same crap. Bought a new drive, Kinda fixed it for the most part. However after using the same drive for things like games and what not it didn't seem bad. I think something was a problem with Windows. Though I also swapped the chipset heatsink thermal compound after this crap started and it kinda helped.

1. If possible, try taking out your current system drive, make a fresh install of windows and see what happens. 

2. Buying a "new" CPU isn't the issue, we're talking about a chip that launched in 2012, and was a steaming pile of garbage when it launched to begin with. 

3. $300 might be out of your budget, but look around for maybe an old office system with an i5/i7 for about $100. Even if the RAM is lacking you could swap it for the 16GB you have, and then sell your MB/CPU/spare RAM for like $50-$75 and you have a decent upgrade. And yes, return CPU if you can and save for a better system.

31 minutes ago, Sovek said:

Ahhh, Yes, I've had a similar issue with my i3 2100/GTX 460 system. Got home from work, hopped onto World of Tanks, BIG lagging mess. Reboot, same crap. Bought a new drive, Kinda fixed it for the most part. However after using the same drive for things like games and what not it didn't seem bad. I think something was a problem with Windows. Though I also swapped the chipset heatsink thermal compound after this crap started and it kinda helped.

1. If possible, try taking out your current system drive, make a fresh install of windows and see what happens. 

2. Buying a "new" CPU isn't the issue, we're talking about a chip that launched in 2012, and was a steaming pile of garbage when it launched to begin with. 

3. $300 might be out of your budget, but look around for maybe an old office system with an i5/i7 for about $100. Even if the RAM is lacking you could swap it for the 16GB you have, and then sell your MB/CPU/spare RAM for like $50-$75 and you have a decent upgrade. And yes, return CPU if you can and save for a better system.

Do you think a GTX 980 and a FX-8350 will work well together? I’m perfectly fine with running with those for awhile until i am able to afford my new Ryzen?

I was gifted one by my grandparents roughly 2 months after i bought my RX580

work well? yes. but either way your CPU is gonna bottleneck, if anything worse of a bottleneck. 

9 minutes ago, Sovek said:

work well? yes. but either way your CPU is gonna bottleneck, if anything worse of a bottleneck. 

do you think it’s worth the hassle? because before this i was running a Fx-6300 and it was much slower

33 minutes ago, XxTheTitanxX said:

do you think it’s worth the hassle? because before this i was running a Fx-6300 and it was much slower

You went from a 3-core to a 4-core, so yeah it's probably helpful in most games.

I wouldn't bank on it lasting that long, though. You'd do well to lower some of the more CPU-bound settings in games and you will probably manage alright.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, XxTheTitanxX said:

Thats really subjective. How much you value the cost of upgrading vs the cost the performance. If your current CPU helps aleviate some of the poor performance while you save up some money for an upgrade and its worth the cost.....

A lot of people probably wouldn't swap out an i5-6500 for a R5 2600 but I did because I wanted the extra performance that the new Ryzen chips got me, while not spending an arm and a leg on the Intel stuff.

That CPU was awful back in 2012. I am surprised it can run notepad in 2019.