Is there a better portable gaming laptop than the Blade 15?

I mainly need the laptop for work (i'm a developer), which involves a lot of travelling. But I'd also like to be able to play GTA 5 on ultra. A lot of the time i'll be using the laptop with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, but i will also use as a laptop on planes etc when i travel so portability is important.

My main requirements in order of importance:

1. 8750H or better CPU
  2. Cooling - i want the laptop to be quite while the CPU loaded and i don't want any throttling. I don't care if it gets loud or hot during gaming as long as it can run games smoothly
  3. 32GB of RAM (it's ok if it comes with 16GB as long as i can add another stick)
  4. Battery - at least 80 Wh
  5. Weight - the lighter the better
  6. 15" 1080p screen (1440p would be nice but i don't want 4k), backlit keyboard and a good touchpad
  7. Design - i don't like RGB, cleaner looks are preferred
  8. Fingerprint/Windows Hello

My budget is 4000USD, i'll buy from amazon or the manufacturer's website.

A tall screen (4:3) or similar would be awesome, but from what i know a workstation/gaming laptop like that doesn't exist. 

Storage isn't important, a 512GB SSD would be sufficient

You may have noticed that although i am looking for a gaming laptop, gaming performance isn't in my list of requirements - I game rarely, but when i do i'd like to be able to play in high settings. I'm currently using an XPS 15 and i don't like that it throttles the CPU. I can get a workstation laptop with a 8750H, but they come with Quadros, which i won't be able to utilise. The only graphics heavy tasks the laptop would do is gaming, no video editting or 3D modelling or whatever. I don't care about RTX, but it seems non RTX 20 series cards aren't available in laptops yet.

From the reasearch i've done so far the Razer Blade 15 with the RTX2070 seems to be the best option.

The Gigabyte Aero 15 with the RTX2070 is a close second, i like the bigger battery, but i don't like it's design as much as the Razer and i also doesn't have any biometrics.

I also looked at the MSI GS65 Stealth, but it's just too ugly for me

Are there other options i'm missing. Are there any laptops that will launch in the coming months that might beat the Razer?

Even with this you probably won't be able to play at ultra.

Maybe lower your expectations a bit?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Even with this you probably won't be able to play at ultra.

Maybe lower your expectations a bit?

Yeah i saw that video, it's way too ugly IMO. I prefer the Blade.

Also the GX701 doesn't have a 15" option as far as i know. 17" is too big for me

the msi gs65

or msi gs 75

or aero 15

or maybe acer predator triton 500 but not too sure about this laptop

2 hours ago, DarkDragon2K04 said:

the msi gs65

or msi gs 75

or aero 15

or maybe acer predator triton 500 but not too sure about this laptop

Why do you think the Aero 15 is better than the Razer?

I checked out the MSI GS65/75 as well as the Triton 500 and the Strix Hero 2 but they are just too ugly IMO. I can't imagine myself bringing one of these to a meeting :D

msi gs65 or razer blade 15look amazing oor get the white version of the gs65 the msi p65 the aero 15 dont look too nice

I was in your shoes exactly just recently and did a lot of research, this is the best out there IMO. Just configure it with the 90WHr battery to get you 7 hours of battery life (not on gaming):

Alienware M15

When configuring it, choose Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads to mitigate any heat issues

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

On 3/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, bigmoney said:

I can get a workstation laptop with a 8750H, but they come with Quadros, which i won't be able to utilise

True mobile workstation would be my choice if you have the budget. You get the best QC+QA laptop with excellent aftersales support. Your games can definitely run on a higher end Quadro GPU even the GPU isn't intended for gaming

On 3/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, bigmoney said:

Razer Blade 15 with the RTX2070

Gigabyte Aero 15 with the RTX2070

They are Max-Q variants which aren't much faster than a 2060N

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 1:11 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

They are Max-Q variants which aren't much faster than a 2060N

Can you share a source for this information? Neither the Razer nor the Gigabyte are offerred with a 2060, so it's not really relevant, i'm just curious why that happens.

2 hours ago, bigmoney said:

Can you share a source for this information? Neither the Razer nor the Gigabyte are offerred with a 2060, so it's not really relevant, i'm just curious why that happens.

From what I know, they are not offered with 2060. Maybe they want to increase the cost of their laptops

Also, if you wish to buy a Razer laptop, my advice is avoid it

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

I ended up getting the Aero 15x, mainly due to the bigger battery and the international warranty. Appreaciate everyone's feedback though!

8 hours ago, bigmoney said:

Aero 15x

just be aware of the poor thermals

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

Acer Triton 500 

If compared to GS65 (which is very similar): Slightly better build quality than GS65, slightly worse cooling than GS65. And very short battery life

Would go for something like Clevo P960ED or TongFang GK5CP0Z/GK5CQ7Z. Overall better

Desktop specs:

Spoiler