AIO for the 2700x

7 hours ago, NorthernDuke said:

I run the H100i V2, 2700x on a ROG Crosshair VII Hero and set it to level 2, PBO, XFR etc on. Also set my ram profile up correctly too.

it weirdly hits boosts of around 5.9ghz sometimes in HW Monitor - guessing that's a data reading glitch?

Anyways, temperatures don't really go far over 60 celcius under stress, depending on the voltage it's putting out.

Highest I've seen is 69 at 100% 4.3ghz boost 1.45v that was sustained for a while. The minute I took the load off, it was back down to high 30's (celcius)

HWmonitor will give false speed readings.  HWiNFO won't.  

What keeps you from using Performance Enhancer Level 3?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

and you still wont get past the 4,2 ghz barrier before the voltage curve kills the CPU....... its not as if Asus with their generally bad VRM is doing something special. per core boost helps. but not a lot. 

The VRMs on the Crosshair are exceptional and the Prime Pro and Strix boards are very good.  And, yes, ASUS is doing something special with their Performance Enhancers Level 3 and Level 4.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

The VRMs on the Crosshair are exceptional and the Prime Pro and Strix boards are very good

not really. especially not for the price. 

5 minutes ago, nick name said:

And, yes, ASUS is doing something special with their Performance Enhancers Level 3 and Level 4.  

i havent looked too deeply into it, but you cant really go beyond the voltage curve of Zen and its 14/12 node. 

21 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

not really. especially not for the price. 

You can't judge against price to determine capability.  Capability is determined by its actual performance.  Being expensive doesn't make something less capable.  

27 minutes ago, nick name said:

You can't judge against price to determine capability.  Capability is determined by its actual performance.  Being expensive doesn't make something less capable.  

but even as top tier products. Asus in general doesnt fair well especially well either. 

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

but even as top tier products. Asus in general doesnt fair well especially well either. 

You're not actually saying anything.  It's not fair to disparage a company without presenting anything with actual merit.  

6 hours ago, nick name said:

You're not actually saying anything.  It's not fair to disparage a company without presenting anything with actual merit.  

Spoiler

Tier S: Extreme overclocking (pentium, celeron, i3, i5, i7, i9)
Asus: Maximus XI extreme, Maximus XI Apex, Maximus X extreme
EVGA: Dark
Gigabyte: Aorus Xtreme (WaterForce), Aorus Master
MSI: MEG Godlike, MEG creation
Tier A: High-end gaming (pentium, celeron, i3, i5, i7, i9)
Asus: Maximus XI Gene, Maximus X Apex, Maximus
Asrock: Taichi, Taichi Ultimate, z390-Extreme4, x299-fatal1ty
EVGA: FTW, Classified K
Gigabyte: Designare, z390-Aorus Ultra, z390-Aorus Pro, z390-Aorus Elite, Aorus Gaming 7,
x299-gaming 7 (pro), x299-aorus gaming 9
MSI: MEG ACE, M7
Tier B: Mainstream gaming (pentium, celeron, i3, i5, i7)
Asus: zxxx-Strix, x299-strix, Maximus XI Formula/Hero/Code, Maximus X
Formula/Hero/Code, zxxx-Prime-A, X299-TUF, X299-Prime Deluxe, Rampage VI Apex
Asrock: Phantom Gaming ITX, zxxx-Fatal1ty x299-fatal1ty, z370-Extreme4, x299-Extreme4
OC Formula
Biostar: B360GT3S, B360GT5S, Biostar: Z370GT6
EVGA: x299-Micro, x299-FTW
Gigabyte: z390-Gaming SLI/plus/m gaming, z390-UD, Gaming 5, x299-aorus gaming 3
(pro), x299-aorus ultra gaming, x299-aorus ultra gaming pro
MSI: zxx-Pro Carbon, Edge, MPG, M5, Krait, x299-sli plus
NZXT: N7
Tier ? Value gaming (pentium, celeron, i3, i5)
Asus: hxxx-Strix, bxxx-Strix
Asrock: zxxx-Pro4, Phantom Gaming, ATX/ac, Killer/SLI, hxxx-fatal1ty, bxxx-fatal1ty,
Bxxx-Pro4
Gigabyte: Gaming 3, UD4
MSI: Tomahawk, Mortar, Gaming Pro, bazooka, hxxx-pro carbon, Gaming Pro, Raider,
zxxx-SLI plus

Here is the recebtly developed mobo tier list in terms of VRM. It should paint a picture on why Asus mobos arent that great. They arent bad, but not really worth buying on each and ever pricepoint due to better mobos at the same pricepoint.

Id give credit to their new X299 mobo, but the Meg Creation is either as good or better as it doesnt use active cooling. 

17 hours ago, nick name said:

HWmonitor will give false speed readings.  HWiNFO won't.  

What keeps you from using Performance Enhancer Level 3?

I did run into a few black screen issues at random points, and had to reboot to get away from it. Code displayed on the board was just '8' but looking in my manual there's no record for a code '8' 

Dropped down to level 2 and no issues at all with it, can only assume it was voltage issues due to PBO etc been turned on, and level 3 OC.

Will try HWinfo though thanks!