what drivers do i need? what bench marking software do you recommend? #newpc

Go to solution Solved by Dxer,

Ummm yeah....That will kick some butt.  :)

As for benchmarking, anything from 3DMark is pretty much a standard.

Cinibench for CPU testing.

Unigine Heaven is also a good one.  

For quickie system tests, UserBenchmark and Novabench.

im building my new pc tomorrow and getting everything prepared before hand. what drivers would you guys and girls recommend i download of my motherboards website. here the website https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

its the z370-e additionally what bench marking programs do you recommend i like to be pretty precise when come to detail and would greatly appreciate the help as ive only ever bought prebuits and never used software drivers and bench marking programs before. here is the pc im building.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $379.89 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $139.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $77.99 @ B&H
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card $819.99 @ Newegg
Case Corsair - Crystal 570X RGB White ATX Mid Tower Case $179.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $139.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus - ROG Swift PG258Q 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor $536.61 @ Amazon
Headphones Sennheiser - HD 599 Headphones $181.49 @ Amazon
Other Dmoose cable management box $25.00
Other D Line cable raceway $8.55
Other GBSTORE 25 pcs Cable clips $5.80
Other Zip Ties 100 PACK TR Industrial $6.99
Other Tripp Lite ISOBAR8ULTRA $60.00
Other finalmouse Ultralight Phantom $90.00
Other Vortex POK3R White 60% RGB $120.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $3062.06
  Mail-in rebates -$50.00
  Total $3012.06
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-28 17:57 EST-0500  

Ummm yeah....That will kick some butt.  :)

As for benchmarking, anything from 3DMark is pretty much a standard.

Cinibench for CPU testing.

Unigine Heaven is also a good one.  

For quickie system tests, UserBenchmark and Novabench.

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

just get the essential drivers you need like wifi, and audio for you mobo and never forget to download your nvidia drivers too. as for software, i'd recommend you get msi afterburner so you can monitor your pc stats (cpu/gpu/ram/vram usage, clockspeeds, framerates, frametimes, etc) and you can also edit your fan curve to your liking. for benchmarks, i rarely used synthetic benchmark tools as its somewhat unrealistic of what you'd expect outside of gaming. tho Cinebench r15 is reliable and its free.

Triventular is correct.  Synthetic benchmarks are not entirely accurate.  If you like to post numbers in them, by all means pimp out your rig.  

If you want good game play, your system will eat all the games it comes across and ask for seconds regardless if you are 2% below the 

highest scores in 3DMark, or whatever benchmark you are running.  

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

22 minutes ago, Triventular said:

just get the essential drivers you need like wifi, and audio for you mobo and never forget to download your nvidia drivers too. as for software, i'd recommend you get msi afterburner so you can monitor your pc stats (cpu/gpu/ram/vram usage, clockspeeds, framerates, frametimes, etc) and you can also edit your fan curve to your liking. for benchmarks, i rarely used synthetic benchmark tools as its somewhat unrealistic of what you'd expect outside of gaming. tho Cinebench r15 is reliable and its free.

ya i heard that prime 95 was pretty unrealistic benchmark from certain channels on YouTube.  i heard about one called aida64 possibly better is that true?

6 minutes ago, SeptapusIV said:

ya i heard that prime 95 was pretty unrealistic benchmark from certain channels on YouTube.  i heard about one called aida64 possibly better is that true?

Those are stress tests, not benchmarks. They just put a heavy load on the CPU to test stability and thermals. They don't give you a performance score that a benchmark would.
3DMark, Superposition, Heaven, and Cinebench are your best bet for benchmarks to test the performance and get a score.

As for drivers, windows will install most of them automatically. Just grab the drivers for your graphics card from the Nvidia website.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, SeptapusIV said:

prime95 is more for stress testing your overclocks then benchmarking. For benchmarks 3dmark is my perferred choice. Cinebench as well. 3dmark goes on sale on steam fairly often if you look to buy it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Those are stress tests, not benchmarks. They just put a heavy load on the CPU to test stability and thermals. They don't give you a performance score that a benchmark would.
3DMark, Superposition, Heaven, and Cinebench are your best bet for benchmarks to test the performance and get a score.

As for drivers, windows will install most of them automatically. Just grab the drivers for your graphics card from the Nvidia website.

thanks spotty sorry i didnt know thought they where the same thing what then would be the purpose of stress test extreme overclocking or something?

Just now, SeptapusIV said:

thanks spotty sorry i didnt know thought they where the same thing what then would be the purpose of stress test extreme overclocking or something?

Tests the stability of overclocks as well as tests the thermal performance, make sure the CPU won't overheat under heavy load.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450