What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7

Im trying to write a Star Wars story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn?t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific.It can NOT be game-changing or something that can alter the story in a dramatic way. Also it can?t already have been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine
-A teleporter
-A matter replicator
-Synthetic tibanna gas 
-A singularity Weapon
- Any type of droid
-Anything to do with holograms
-A food synthesizer
- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
- A shrink ray
-A freeze ray
-pico and femtotechnology
-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph 
-Any improvements on the hyperdrive 
-Limb regeneration
-Hyperspace nullifier
-Holodeck
- Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
-Philosophers Stone
-Kinetic weapons
-Solar sail
-Anything to do with kyber crystals
-Gene editing
-Mech suit
-Exosuit
-Gender change 

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

I'm trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren't until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I'm looking for something that presumably hasn't been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.

My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. 

Paranormal investigation

17 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

start from basic, why there is so much sound effects in space (vacuum) 

because Industrial Light and Magic couldn't have a space-themed movie with no sound

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

how to protect against lightsabers since only jedi and sith wield them making them extremely dangerous and he would see them both as parts of different cults and mentally unhinged for believing in the force

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

How about a new system of government? I suggest you have them take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week, and any decisions made by that officer have to be ratified in a special bi-weekly meeting.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

How about a new system of government? 

isnt this politics?

Engineers create things. 

Maybe an armour or something like for clone troopers or just for whatever. 

Maybe a new blaster? 

I read most restrictions. Prolly. 

new type of fuel? Or bio-engineering to enhance his own body?

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

He can be working on finding new things to study since everything else has already been taken.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

A device that enlarges your D

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

17 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Legends (old EU) already explained this. The short answer is that every spacecraft has an audio synthesizer that essentially mimics "sound" from other craft and projects it through internal speakers.

Current Canon EU has yet to explain it, and frankly, probably never will.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 hours ago, Maximum7 said:

Im trying to write a Star Wars story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn?t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific.It can NOT be game-changing or something that can alter the story in a dramatic way. Also it can?t already have been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-Synthetic tibanna gas 

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph 

-Any improvements on the hyperdrive 

-Limb regeneration

-Hyperspace nullifier

-Holodeck

- Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)

-Philosophers Stone

-Kinetic weapons

-Solar sail

-Anything to do with kyber crystals

-Gene editing

-Mech suit

-Exosuit

-Gender change 

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

I'm trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren't until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I'm looking for something that presumably hasn't been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.

My scientist is called upon by the New Republic to investigate why the supermassive black hole is more active than usual and sucking in things from a further range. I just need something for the scientist to be studying before he is called away. 

Why not make it simple? The government called upon him to investigate a black hole.

Therefore he's an expert in Black Hole research. He was stationed at a research base near the Maw, and he researches blackholes.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"polyphonic resonance dampener"

Edited by slashqpbyte

Couple of options:

• Project Blackwing as a bio weapon (but why you'd leave this for a blackhole... <shrug>)
  • Method to crack the security protocols of Holocrons. (Doesn't have to believe in the Force but a protected data vault's a data vault)
  • The effects of Hutt mating hormones as a bio weapon. (because why not?)

Bought a virtual warranty for my virtual machine. Cost me virtually nothing!

On 2/27/2019 at 11:23 PM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Those sounds don't naturally occur. They are played by the spaceship's system's prediction/assistance AI in order to further stimulate the crew's senses. Picture this: What's more effective, an old-time silent film, or a modern film full of color and sound? Obviously the latter. When more of your senses get used at a time, the better your immersion is; which in turn, lets you react better. If a pilot is focused on shooting the ship ahead of him (there's no actual "direction" in space, but that's another can of worms we can open some other time. Just bear with me) and then he hears an explosion close to his right, he will maneuver accordingly.

I actually don't know if this is actual Star Wars canon. I just pulled it out of my ass. I've watched all the Star Wars films though, so one could say I'm the definitive Star Wars encyclopedia.

Edit: I just read @dalekphalm's post. What the fuck? I was just joking.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

4 minutes ago, Gale said:

What's more effective, an old-time silent film, or a modern film full of color and sound?

Poor Buster Keaton is turning in his grave.

Bought a virtual warranty for my virtual machine. Cost me virtually nothing!

7 hours ago, Gale said:

Those sounds don't naturally occur. They are played by the spaceship's system's prediction/assistance AI in order to further stimulate the crew's senses. Picture this: What's more effective, an old-time silent film, or a modern film full of color and sound? Obviously the latter. When more of your senses get used at a time, the better your immersion is; which in turn, lets you react better. If a pilot is focused on shooting the ship ahead of him (there's no actual "direction" in space, but that's another can of worms we can open some other time. Just bear with me) and then he hears an explosion close to his right, he will maneuver accordingly.

I actually don't know if this is actual Star Wars canon. I just pulled it out of my ass. I've watched all the Star Wars films though, so one could say I'm the definitive Star Wars encyclopedia.

Edit: I just read @dalekphalm's post. What the fuck? I was just joking.

xD

Actually your "pull it out of my ass" theory is pretty spot on to the old Legends answer to why you could hear stuff in space. The technobabble is slightly different, but that's pretty damn spot on :P

Legends... it's pretty damn hit or miss, with some weird things they came up with.

On 2/28/2019 at 11:22 PM, Nebari said:

Couple of options:

• Project Blackwing as a bio weapon (but why you'd leave this for a blackhole... <shrug>)
  • Method to crack the security protocols of Holocrons. (Doesn't have to believe in the Force but a protected data vault's a data vault)
  • The effects of Hutt mating hormones as a bio weapon. (because why not?)

I potentially like the Hutt matting hormone bioweapon but I don’t understand how this would work. I don’t recall Hutt mating hormones being special in Legends. Can you explain what this weapon would do?

Black hole food cooker.

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.

1 minute ago, BetterThanLife said:

Black hole food cooker.

The food would never get done, dosn't time slow down around black holes? super nova food cooker.

3 minutes ago, slashqpbyte said:

The food would never get done, dosn't time slow down around black holes? super nova food cooker.

Best cooked meat ever, slow coooooook :D

Stinkpci5 3550. DDR3 1600mhz 8GB. Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3.0. Sapphire RX 570 Nitro 4GB oc. Noctua NH-L12. WD Black 600GB. Silverstone PSU 1KW. Advent 1440x900 75hz VGA monitor 1ms. Acer Veriton M464 chassis.

Self help guide.