Refresher Test "Gaming"(?) Build

xnamkcor

My current computer is a Sony Vaio laptop.

Eein0sV.png

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/PublicWishlistDetail?ID=32154491

My budget is about 500-1000. I'm in AZ, USA.

I'm pretty much just doing a test build for the future. It might be a year or more before I feel comfortable spending money on a new computer. Most of my gaming is emulators, but being able to play DMC5 at a at least 60 FPS is probably a goal.

Might want to use 2 monitors, but my second screen is typically my Fire TV or Chromecast(I believe multitasking is best done by multiple independent devices unless the two tasks actually need to interact)

I'll probably need to buy Windows...again...

Case: Simple, Very open front intake, Can kill a horse(in self defense) with it if I need to.

Motherboard: Works with the other parts.

Video Card: Supported by games and Windows for at least 5 years, Crossfires with CPU(?).

Power Supply: Supplies power, Has fan, Doesn't catch on fire.

CPU: Supports the RAM and Motherboard I picked, Crossfires with GPU(?).

SSD: Faster than HDD, enough space for Windows and some games, about the same price as my HDD.

RAM: Dual channel, works with Motherboard and CPU, About half the slots and half the capacity of the motherboard(12.5% margin of error).

HDD: Holds files, about the same price as my SSD.

PS: Backup picture in case the link doesn't work.

oZu3CAx.png

PPS: I'm trying to stick to one retailer I have ordered from before. Not Amazon, because they use a third party to deliver in my local area and it's a crapshoot whether the driver feels like doing their job that day.

PPPS: Might be willing to use Amazon for something like the case for the free shipping.

Skip the 2400G and go straight for the 2600, unless you want or need the integrated gpu specifically. Ryzen likes faster ram and unless you specifically need 32gb you'd be much better off reallocating that money into the graphics card and a faster set of 2x8gb. Unless you're ever planning to need 64gb, you can always toss in another 2x8gb for 32gb later. I'd also go for a 500gb nvme m.2 ssd over the lower end sata ssd since you're going to have plenty of hard drive space. The Corsair CX power supplies are also not great and "downgrading" to a higher quality 450-600watt would be recommened since you could power two of that system with a 750watt. X370 is also a first gen Ryzen motherboard. While there's nothing wrong with that, it is possible that it's old stock and will need a bios update for Ryzen 2000 cpus.

Newegg generally ships Ontrac to me which is about the worst service out there, I think Amazon occasionally uses them as well so if you're trying to avoid them then using Newegg might make it even worse.

It's generally not a bad idea to run through like r/buildapcsales or Slickdeals and try to fit something in that's on sale.

12 minutes ago, Slayer3032 said:

Skip the 2400G and go straight for the 2600, Ryzen likes faster ram and unless you specifically need 32gb you'd be much better off reallocating that money into the graphics card and a faster set of 2x8gb. Unless you're ever planning to need 64gb, you can always toss in another 2x8gb for 32gb too. I'd also go for a 500gb nvme m.2 ssd over the lower end sata ssd since you're going to have plenty of hard drive space. The Corsair CX power supplies are also not great and "downgrading" to a higher quality 450-600watt would be recommened since you could power two of that system with a 750watt. X370 is also a first gen Ryzen motherboard. While there's nothing wrong with that, it is possible that it's old stock and will need a bios update for Ryzen 2000 cpus.

Newegg generally ships Ontrac to me which is about the worst service out there, I think Amazon occasionally uses them as well so if you're trying to avoid them then using Newegg might make it even worse.

It's generally not a bad idea to run through like r/buildapcsales or Slickdeals and try to fit something in that's on sale.

I'll probably end up ditching the APU idea, since this isn't a laptop.

The price ratio for 2x8 seemed to be the same as 2x16, so I figured I'd plan for max RAM without having to junk modules. I try to avoiding going over spec on RAM.

I didn't take the time to make sure the motherboard supported NVME. Are m.2 slots typically bootable?

CX is bad, ok, but which series is good?

I was debating if I should spend the extra 10 or 20 dollars to support X470. I'll probably do that.

PS: Ontrac has never failed to deliver. Their one of the few delivery services on my "good" list.

Edit: None of the motherboards I'm looking at seem to list "NVME" as a feature.

Ram specs can be a nightmare, sometimes. If you're wanting to go to spec then you'll want to check the manufacturer's QVL and see what memory has been verified on your board. If it's on the QVL then it should be verified at the advertised specs. Here's that motherboard's memory QVL for example: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-14

m.2 has generally always been bootable but it is going to rely on that your bios supports it, which has been standard for a while now.

Seasonic and EVGA have great power supplies, but most brands can differ greatly and most don't actually manufacturer their own products so EVGA for example has an amazingly confusing lineup. There's some "tier lists" floating around that are good for quick reference on if it's trash or not but should be taken with a grain of salt since they get out of date quickly, ect. HardOCP, KitGuru and most notably JonnyGuru are all great resources for finding reviews on power supplies. I'd just shop for whatever is on sale and decide based off whatever is the best you can find in your budget.

OnTrac generally mangles my packages and ships them in all different weird directions, often many hundreds of miles in the wrong directions where it will go within miles of it's destination on random interstate journeys. Nice to hear they can be competent somewhere.

5 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

Ram specs can be a nightmare, sometimes. If you're wanting to go to spec then you'll want to check the manufacturer's QVL and see what memory has been verified on your board. If it's on the QVL then it should be verified at the advertised specs. Here's that motherboard's memory QVL for example: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-14

m.2 has generally always been bootable but it is going to rely on that your bios supports it, which has been standard for a while now.

Seasonic and EVGA have great power supplies, but most brands can differ greatly and most don't actually manufacturer their own products so EVGA for example has an amazingly confusing lineup. There's some "tier lists" floating around that are good for quick reference on if it's trash or not but should be taken with a grain of salt since they get out of date quickly, ect. HardOCP, KitGuru and most notably JonnyGuru are all great resources for finding reviews on power supplies. I'd just shop for whatever is on sale and decide based off whatever is the best you can find in your budget.

OnTrac generally mangles my packages and ships them in all different weird directions, often many hundreds of miles in the wrong directions where it will go within miles of it's destination on random interstate journeys. Nice to hear they can be competent somewhere.

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=qjnKJhKdynI%3d&&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-qjnKJhKdynI%3d-_-02/27/2019

I'd skip the referb power supply and go for something on sale, rebates suck but you get 7 year warranties with the power supplies. If you push overclocks you could use 350-400w at the most, a high end 450w should work well for this hardware. Otherwise a 550w will give you more headroom for higher end Ryzen 3000 upgrades and higher end video cards.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438095

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151203

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151204

Everything else looks great, largest nit pick I could have is that the wraith stealth is just a cheap stock cooler and if you're wanting to overclock it with your X470 board you'll want a better cooler. It's perfectly adequate for stock operation though.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zyg2Cb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zyg2Cb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($168.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.59 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.87 @ OutletPC)
Total: $788.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 21:19 EST-0500

39 minutes ago, SliceT said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zyg2Cb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zyg2Cb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($168.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.59 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.97 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.87 @ OutletPC)
Total: $788.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 21:19 EST-0500

Isn't the 1700 a first gen Ryzen?

Why a B450 instead of an X470?

Well, you halved my RAM and it costs more than half as much. Thanks?

While I probably could kill a horse with that case if I used the side panel, I'll pass.

I'm not really fond of ASRock and PowerColor.