Laptop Overheating / Throttling?

Guest CluckerByte

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if it's a thing that all laptops when pushed overheat and throttle, or if I can reasonably expect a laptop with a good cooling implementation to maintain it's temperature and clocks under load?

I am looking at returning my current laptop, which hits 95+ degrees easy on the CPU when using Cinebench for example and throttles down to 2.1GHz from 4.1GHz - it has an 8750H and GTX 1060.

Instead I would like to build myself a desktop for higher end work and buy a lower end laptop that is fast, stable and can maintain its temperature and clocks - is such a thing possible?

Thank you for any help in advance. :)

EDIT: I just want to clarify that I understand with a new laptop, using it for stuff like troubleshooting, web browsing, remote sessions so on so forth will not tax the system and so throttling likely won't happen (even though it sometimes does on my current system though) but in relation to taxing the system should I ever need to, is it normal for laptops to throttle or are there ones that are designed well enough to if not avoid entirely, seriously limit the amount of throttling and excess heat build up? This excludes those monster chassis you see for the crazy 3k + gaming laptops.

It's all laptops when pushed this hard. I could try and persuade you to keep it, but to be frank, I wouldn't get a power laptop in the first place.

If it's gaming you care about, I'd buy a laptop with no dGPU and get a thunderbolt external enclosure.

If you need mostly CPU performance then get a laptop and a desktop :P

What kind of budget are we talking here?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

It's all laptops when pushed this hard. I could try and persuade you to keep it, but to be frank, I wouldn't get a power laptop in the first place.

If it's gaming you care about, I'd buy a laptop with no dGPU and get a thunderbolt external enclosure.

If you need mostly CPU performance then get a laptop and a desktop :P

Agreed, I usually use desktops for everything, and laptops for light work. I thought this time I'd get an "all in one system" but yeah, turns out you waste a lot of your money not getting the performance you paid for the hardware, so doesn't seem like a logical choice to keep it! :D

Thank you for your response, just wanted to confirm before making a decision on a new laptop replacement.

What model?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

What model?

Metabox Alpha-X N870EP - Upgraded to a 4K Panel

Just now, CluckerByte said:

Metabox Alpha-X N870EP

It has mediocre cooling...that's why

Try undervolting

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

It has mediocre cooling...that's why

Try undervolting

I checked when I first got it, no bios option to undervolt, I don't like putting extra software on my system, I'm pretty minimalist.

BIOS is fine because it's built in functionality, but software CPU modification I'd prefer not. :)

3 minutes ago, CluckerByte said:

no bios option to undervolt

NEVER undervolt via BIOS. Use Throttlestop (very small file only)

Free thermal improvement

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, GeneXiS_X said:

NEVER undervolt via BIOS. Use Throttlestop (very small file only)

Free thermal improvement

Interesting, I've never had any issues. I am familiar with Throttlestop.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

6 hours ago, CluckerByte said:

I don't like putting extra software on my system

And this is why I never get a laptop with a 128GB SSD!