Is it worth getting an i7-7700?

Qmobss

So I've started having trouble in newer games with the CPU I have right now, which is the i5-6500. I use a 1070 GPU, and that processor seems to be bottlenecking the heck out of that card.

So I'm looking to buy a new one, and the i7-7700/k is the best one my motherboard can handle. Is it worth getting it / how much big of a difference will I see from the one I'm using right now?

If I can avoid throwing $1k on a mobo/cpu combo that would be great, so I'm hoping this is good enough.

//Qmobss

6 minutes ago, Qmobss said:

So I'm looking to buy a new one, and the i7-7700/k is the best one my motherboard can handle. Is it worth getting it / how much big of a difference will I see from the one I'm using right now?

what board? if it's not a Z series board then get a non-k 7700. It'll be a huge benefit.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

what board? if it's not a Z series board then get a non-k 7700.

I use a Gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF. So I guess I can use a 7700k.

10 minutes ago, Qmobss said:

So I've started having trouble in newer games with the CPU I have right now, which is the i5-6500. I use a 1070 GPU, and that processor seems to be bottlenecking the heck out of that card.

If I can avoid throwing $1k on a mobo/cpu combo that would be great, so I'm hoping this is good enough.

//Qmobss

Meh, the only thing noteworthy (in a good way) about Kaby Lake was the G4560. If you can save a few bucks by getting a 6700K and overclocking it to match the 7700K (you can), you're as well off as you would have been with the Kaby chip.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Meh, the only thing noteworthy (in a good way) about Kaby Lake was the G4560. If you can save a few bucks by getting a 6700K and overclocking it to match the 7700K (you can), you're as well off as you would have been with the Kaby chip.

Okay,

But would you say it's worth getting a mobo combo instead?

Just now, Qmobss said:

Okay,

But would you say it's worth getting a mobo combo instead?

If it's for another Z170/Z270 board, probably not unless it's an upgrade to CPU and mobo that doesn't cost much more than the CPU alone. If it's to an AM4 board with a Ryzen 7 or a Z370/Z390 board at a reasonable price, probably. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7700k at 4.7-5ghz still beats current AMD chips at gaming.

if you dont pay too much for it, I'd say it's worth it and will hold you over at least 3 years.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

the top end core i5 models like the 7600k are still solid performers in gaming and sell for significantly less. if youre on a budget then look into these. i wouldnt buy new tho as prices are silly, look on the secondhand market, especially stores that trade in second hand gear (like CEX in the UK)

from what i can tell there's no huge differences between the 6th and 7th gen intel processors, just features you clearly dont use as you dont currently have them. So also consider a 6000 series top end i5/i7 if the price is right. i have no personal experience tho, i jumped from 3rd gen to 8th gen

If you can find a 7700K used going for around the 200 dollar mark, I'd say go for it. They perform on par with the current gen i5s which are pure 6 cores, so would definitely be a decent upgrade over what you have now, both in single core performance and multi core performance. Not to mention your frame times would improve drastically. I have a 6700K @ 4.7 GHz paired with a GTX 1080 and it handles pretty much any game I throw at it @ 1080P 144. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

Your thread limited at 4c4t

Many a 8 thread user should chime in....

I7 users don't have i5 problems yet.

Our usages are getting up there, but not yet enough to ruin GPU usages yet.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz